Tidewater by Libbie Hawker

Tidewater

by Libbie Hawker

I won't say I’m a huge fan of historical fiction, but that might be because I haven’t read many books for the genre. However, I love the idea of taking something that has happened and is documented (or not), and weaving it into something that we can and want to relate to. I’m a proud Virginian, born and raised. It was pretty cool that I came across this novel two days before my youngest daughter brings home her permission slip for her class’ Jamestown field trip.

That tidbit of useless information aside, I’m going to try to turn the love that I have for this book into an understandable strings of words. For some reason, I have a harder time reviewing books that I love vs. books that I like or do not like at all.

Tidewater, while historical fiction, manages to capture, and play off some key points of this very important time in Virginia history. I loved the contrast between the palisade of early, strong-willed Jamestown and the territories of the graceful Native Americans. Not just where they lived in relation to each other, but the hardship of their relationship (or lack of). While we can never be sure of how it really was, Libbie Hawker does an awesome job of making it all seem very real, and very understandable. I feel like she really brought the characters back to life, and I found myself loving them, all of them.

To read the rest of this review please visit: http://wordgurgle.blogspot.com/2015/04/tidewater-by-libbie-hawker.html ( )
  Hope.Sloper | Apr 24, 2015 |

A clash of desire and hatred, of friendship and fear, of stark ambition and desperate survival.

In 1607, three ships arrive on the coast of Virginia to establish Jamestown Colony. Their only hope of survival lies with the Powhatan tribe. John Smith knows this. He knows, too, that the Powhatans would rather see the English starve to death than yield their homeland to invaders. In the midst of this struggle, Pocahontas, the daughter of the great chief, forges an unlikely friendship with Smith. Their bond preserves a wary peace—but as each seeks to fulfill their own ambitions, their delicate truce begins to crack. Soon the colonists and Powhatans are locked in battle, and Pocahontas must choose between power and servitude—between self and sacrifice—for the sake of her people and her land.[retrieved 2/16/2016 from Amazon.com]

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,056,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible