Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of…

Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation

by Bill Nye

Other authors: Corey S. Powell (Editor)

While I agree with what Bill Nye states in his book, I think in general his discussions are information that is well known. The book is written for a general public and thus is written at a somewhat simple level. I appreciate that he is promoting a scientific view of the world. Bill's debate with Ken Hamm seems to be a significant event discussed. I recommend the book to those with limited scientific understanding. ( )
  GlennBell | Oct 11, 2017 |
After his much-hyped debate with Ken Hamm over evolution, Bill Nye decided he had more to say on the subject. It manages to be pretty light-hearted while covering a wide range of topics related to evolutionary biology. I don't know that this book would convince a die-hard creationist, but I'm also not sure it's meant to. I appreciate its additions to my understanding of how life works on this planet, and opened my eyes to a large number of discoveries I wasn't aware of. More importantly, Nye offers numerous examples of why it's important to ask these questions and understand the answers. And that's where this book works best: as a jumping off point to learn more. ( )
  melydia | Jun 30, 2017 |
Evolution is such a controversial subject. It seems to either make perfect sense to a person or the complete opposite. For the record, I'm on the side of evolution, it just makes sense to me, so in this case Bill was preaching to the choir. This was a fun listen for me because I enjoy science talk when the person lecturing is excited about their subject and can make it fun. Bill is well versed in doing exactly that having had his Bill Nye the Science Guy show, aimed at getting kids interested in science. He's conversational and humorous and just super excited about it! He also makes no bones about which side of the fence he's on, and what he thinks of those who are on the other side. I'm not sure how this would go over with someone who is undecided about evolution vs. creationism, but it certainly isn't going to change the mind of someone firmly on the Creationist side. Instead I think it would put them on the defensive and make them even more determined to fight their case. And lets face it, in most subjects where there are such opposing views that are passionately defended, neither side is going to change the mind of the other.

I'm going to say, if you're already on board, and want a fun science lecture packed with interesting information, definitely give it a listen since Bill narrates himself. If you're undecided, still give it a listen and see what you think, and try to give Bill a pass for being not so diplomatic about the opposing side. If you're firmly on the side of Creationism... well... I don't know, I'll have to leave that up to you. :)

Read/Listened to for the 2016 I Love Libraries Challenge ( )
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
I purchased a copy of this book when it was first published, because, well, BILL NYE. I grew up watching Bill Nye the Science Guy on television (usually in science class at school) and just fell in love with his extremely approachable take on science. A lot of science teachers, unfortunately, tended to make the subject seem really boring - but Bill Nye made science exciting! I loved seeing how into his experiments, and science in general, he was, and it really made me look at science a different way. Maybe that's why I chose a career that uses physics on a daily basis! And my adoration of Bill Nye has only continued into adulthood - I have a Bill Nye sticker on the back of my car to this day, and of course I bought the autographed copy of the book from B&N (BILL NYE TOUCHED MY COPY OF THIS BOOK OMG - ahem). ;)

I also downloaded the audiobook from Audible, and it has been sitting on my ipod for at least two years, unfortunately. But yesterday, during a long drive to the Agate Fossil Beds National Monument in Nebraska (about five hours one way for me), I decided to listen to the book - and what an incredible experience! It totally jazzed me up for the National Monument trip. (The NM, by the way, was amazing, and I would highly recommend it if you are within driving distance. This isn't a "postcard" stop - it's dedicated mostly to a collection of fossils found on this property, which are displayed in the very nice, modern museum at the Visitor's Center. I hiked both trails and enjoyed myself immensely. They also had several brochures available, including - gasp! - one on climate change, which I snatched up instantly, because this "so-called" administration is so freaking anti-science, and anti-facts in general, that I am sure that it is only a matter of time before those brochures aren't allowed to be displayed or even printed by the park service. Sad.)

Anyway, it's rare for me to give a book five stars, but this is BILL FREAKING NYE we're talking about here. I thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of every second of this book, and if that isn't worthy of five stars, I don't know what is.

The seeds for this book were sown when Bill Nye debated Ken Ham, the curator of the Creation "Museum" in Kentucky. Of course Nye eviscerated Ham quite efficiently in the debate, which is to be expected, as Nye views facts and then logically tries to fit them into a reasonable framework, while Ham is only interested in twisting, distorting, or outright ignoring facts to make sure that his precious fairy tales aren't diminished in his eyes. (Having grown up in a very backwards area in which science is denigrated in favor of the ridiculousness of creationism, I feel that my bitterness is justified.) Nye continues to effectively and efficiently skewer creationism and the pseudo"science" that fuels it in this book, but he's quite polite about the whole thing.

He also goes further than this with various topics about science and evolution - racism (human beings are human beings), GMOs, how life started in the first place, etc, etc. And he just makes the entire journey damned fun. He's a great narrator, and I was transported back to my childhood, when I would watch him for hours and dream of being a cool scientist like Bill Nye someday (unfortunately, I didn't go into the experimental side, which I kind of regret now, haha).

I would recommend this book to anyone - creationist (be prepared to have your "beliefs" completely razed to the ground), those who value science, those who don't (WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?), and just anyone in general. It's a great book, and not just because Bill Nye admits that he's read Fifty Shades of Grey (brb loling forever). ( )
  schatzi | Mar 5, 2017 |
This is a tale of the how, why, and when of life (although not necessarily in that order). It's a nontechnical explanation and an enjoyable read. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |

Bill Nyeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Powell, Corey S.Editorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to science students of all ages, wishing you countless safe journeys and the infinite joy of discovery
I think it started with the bees.

"Sparked by a controversial debate in February 2014, Bill Nye has set off on an energetic campaign to spread awareness of evolution and the powerful way it shapes our lives. In Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation, he explains why race does not really exist; evaluates the true promise and peril of genetically modified food; reveals how new species are born, in a dog kennel and in a London subway; takes a stroll through 4.5 billion years of time; and explores the new search for alien life, including aliens right here on Earth. With infectious enthusiasm, Bill Nye shows that evolution is much more than a rebuttal to creationism; it is an essential way to understand how nature works--and to change the world. It might also help you get a date on a Saturday night."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,619,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible