Ted Saves the World (Ted Saves the World…

Ted Saves the World (Ted Saves the World Series Book 1)

by Bryan Cohen

I was a bit skeptical at first about reading this book but after getting to know the Author a little better I was intrigued. I found the storyline extremely entertaining. Between the witty characters, edge of your seat action and a paranormal / SciFi romance I just couldn't put it down. I can't wait to read the next book! This copy was gifted to me by the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Stephanie.L.Herman | Jul 5, 2016 |
This is YA/middle grade fiction at its best. Tongue-in-cheek humor, unexpected super-powers, internet fame, scary threats to the world, and a trio of wholly human, honest, confusing and awkward teens at the center of it all.

Of course, when Natalie breaks up with Ted, the trio could fall apart. But Dhiraj might get brave enough to ask Jennifer out. And then there’s Erika, but she’s... Well, you’ll have to read it to find out what's happened to her. Suffice it to say, when blue light shines over your skin, your whole perception of reality might change.

With wholly age-appropriate attractions, real-world dangers combining with immortal combat, high school terrors contrasted with nightmares dreamed at the end of the world, or on the computer screen, Ted Saves the World presents an awkward, inept, intelligent teen with some seriously scary choices, and keeps the reader glued to the page as the story reveals itself. Of course, there are still lots of questions to be answered when the tale comes to an end. This is a convincing, exciting, and really enjoyable standalone novel, with a whole wealth of mysteries to fuel a series too. It's highly recommended.

Disclosure: I was given a free ecopy and I offer my honest review. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Aug 18, 2015 |
ABR's full Ted Saves the World audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Hmmm So many genres all in one book!

Young adult — most of the characters are in high school. Science fiction — beings come from other worlds/dimension and are sent to open the portal. Fantasy — superhero abilities sprung from out of the “blue” just in time to save innocents. Horror (albeit light and without dirt and blood) — the selected dead can rise again, much stronger and meaner than before. Romance — first he’s with Natalie, then with his “first love” Erica and sidekick finally lands the sweetheart he’s been wooing since elementary. Comedy — if Ted’s not coming up with the well-timed one-liners, Dhiraj is just too funny with his money-making obsession. This is a great combination of many genres, but, first and foremost, a young adult. The subject matter remained age appropriate.

I received a copy of this book in audio from in exchange for an honest review. I am glad for the change as this was a truly enjoyable listen-to. I have never watched Buffy, except in commercials, and I read from most of the genres this book could easily be placed into, this wasn’t a no-brainer when I read the blurb. This is an example of not judging a book by its cover (I have nothing against the cover — it simply doesn’t grab me) or its book blurb (again, nothing wrong about the description — it simply wasn’t convincing me of a “need” to read.

All that and I am happy to have spent my time listening with this story for nearly nine hours. Well, that’s not quite accurate. I thought the narrator, Steven Jay Cohen, read far too slowly. I sped up the audio to 2x to make the narrator’s voice speak in a more pleasing speed. That is the only real negative to this reader — his pace is far too slow. I didn’t think to speed up the playing until nearly 2 hours into the story, when I was nearly ready to put this in my Did Not Finish shelf.

Audiobook provided for review by the author. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Mar 2, 2015 |
Hmmm So many genres all in one book!

Young adult -- most of the characters are in high school. Science fiction -- beings come from other worlds/dimension and are sent to open the portal. Fantasy -- superhero abilities sprung from out of the "blue" just in time to save innocents. Horror (albeit light and without dirt and blood) -- the selected dead can rise again, much stronger and meaner than before. Romance -- first he's with Natalie, then with his "first love" Erica and sidekick finally lands the sweetheart he's been wooing since elementary. Comedy -- if Ted's not coming up with the well-timed one-liners, Dhiraj is just too funny with his money-making obsession. This is a great combination of many genres, but, first and foremost, a young adult. The subject matter remained age appropriate.

I received a copy of this book in audio form in exchange from the author for an honest review through Audiobook Reviewer. I am glad for the change as this was a truly enjoyable listen-to. I have never watched Buffy, except in commercials, and I read from most of the genres this book could easily be placed into, this wasn't a no-brainer when I read the blurb. This is an example of not judging a book by its cover (I have nothing against the cover -- it simply doesn't grab me) or its book blurb (again, nothing wrong about the description -- it simply wasn't convincing me of a "need" to read.

All that and I am happy to have spent my time listening with this story for nearly nine hours. Well, that's not quite accurate. I thought the narrator, Steven Jay Cohen, read far too slowly. I sped up the audio to 2x to make the narrator's voice speak in a more pleasing speed. That is the only real negative to this reader -- his pace is far too slow. I didn't think to speed up the playing until nearly 2 hours into the story, when I was nearly ready to put this in my Did Not Finish shelf.

The pace of the story, in terms of plot development, character development, action and reveals was very good. I look forward to picking up the subsequent books in this series, though, I suspect I will read them rather than listen to them. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
When a young man is dumped by his girlfriend in his favorite restaurant, he figures that his life is over. But destiny has another plan for him. This is a heartwarming story about a boy who finds the courage to be more than he ever bargained for in order to save the whole world from total destruction by an evil force. I really enjoy this story. The characters are believable and fun. The story is fast paced and keeps you turning pages, though I do feel that it would be better represented as a graphic novel, as it is very visual and some of the plot gets lost in the description of the situation. I would recommend it to anyone who likes "Sci-Fi", Fantasy or a fast paced novel that is very entertaining. ( )
  sallyawolf | Feb 25, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,424,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible