Breaking Creed by Alex Kava

In this book, Ryder Creed, and his scent dog, Grace, find some children being trafficked on a fishing boat. The cartel comes after him. He hooks up with FBI agent Maggie O'Dell again. The cartel's hired killer, The Iceman, comes after O'Dell and then after Creed. There is a group sent to Creed's home to grab him and kill his dogs. Creed and his well trained dogs hold their own and with some additional help, they beat the cartel and O'Dell figures out the secret identity of the Iceman. I thought this was ok. I liked the dog, but not my favorite. Lacks depth.
  taurus27 | Feb 5, 2017 |
First off I want to say thx Goodreads & Putnam- I received this advanced readers copy through First Reads! On to the review...I was glad to see that Ryder and Grace are back. I read the earlier book Stranded first and really enjoyed it so Im glad to see they are getting a bigger part and their own series! I think the plot was good and the pacing was on target. The story didnt have alot of redundancy which I like. It also had enough action and suspense and if you like dogs, then you' should fall in love with Grace and the other search & rescue dogs. I havent really come across that many books that focused on search & rescue dogs with mystery & action thrown in so its a nice change I think and Im sure the series will go over well because of it. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
An intense, fast paced thriller although several plot points stretched beyond credulity. That was ok with me since it kept the creepy parts from feeling too realistic. I wish there'd been more about the dogs Ryder Creed trained and the work they did and less about Ryder himself. Or maybe more about him with FBI agent Maggie O'Dell? I thought she was the most fully developed character in the book and I take it this is a spin-off from a series that features her. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
From Amazon:

Ryder Creed and his dogs have been making national headlines. They've intercepted several major drug stashes being smuggled through Atlanta’s airport. But their new found celebrity has also garnered some unwanted attention. When Creed and one of his dogs are called in to search a commercial fishing vessel, they discover a secret compartment. But the Colombian cartels’ latest shipment isn't drugs. This time, its cargo is human. To make matters worse, Creed helps one of the cartel’s drug mules escape—a fourteen-year-old girl who reminds him of his younger sister who disappeared fifteen years ago. Meanwhile, FBI agent Maggie O’Dell is investigating a series of murders—the victims tortured, killed, and dumped in the Potomac River. She suspects it’s the work of a cunning and brutal assassin, but her politically motivated boss has been putting up roadblocks. By the time she uncovers a hit list with Creed’s name on it, it might be too late. The cartel has already sent someone to destroy Creed and everyone close to him.

My Thoughts:

I'm usually cautious when starting a new series by an an author tat already writes a series that I have read for a long period of time... but I have to say that Ryder Creed will go on the top of my series lists. Those already familiar with Kava's Maggie O'Dell series will remember Ryder Creed and his irresistible little dog, Grace, from a previous book. Alex Kava has brought both Creed and Grace back in Breaking Creed, the first book in what I hope is the forerunner of many more. Alex Kava has a knack for bringing a high level of depth and emotion to her plots and the characters. This novel offers a little romance, but most of the emphasis is on the crimes and the mystery...and you just won't be able to resist those wonderful dogs. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was not up to par with books I read in the past. I finished it but it was better the more you got into it. The characters came together nicely and made the story flow with ease. ( )
  Richard3432 | Sep 5, 2015 |

New York Times– and internationally bestselling author Alex Kava’s thrilling new series introducing Ryder Creed, ex-marine turned K9 search-and-rescue dog trainer as he teams up with fan-favorite FBI profiler Maggie O’Dell.

Ryder Creed and his dogs have been making national headlines. They’ve intercepted several major drug stashes being smuggled through Atlanta’s airport. But their newfound celebrity has also garnered some unwanted attention.

When Creed and one of his dogs are called in to search a commercial fishing vessel, they discover a secret compartment. But the Colombian cartels’ latest shipment isn’t drugs. This time, its cargo is human. To make matters worse, Creed helps one of the cartel’s drug mules escape—a fourteen-year-old girl who reminds him of his younger sister who disappeared fifteen years ago.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:59 -0400)

"Ryder Creed and his dogs have been making national headlines. They've intercepted several major drug stashes being smuggled through Atlanta's airport. But their newfound celebrity has also garnered some unwanted attention. When Creed and one of his dogs are called in to search a commercial fishing vessel, they discover a secret compartment. But the Colombian cartels' latest shipment isn't drugs. This time, its cargo is human. To make matters worse, Creed helps one of the cartel's drug mules escape--a fourteen-year-old girl who reminds him of his younger sister who disappeared fifteen years ago. Meanwhile, FBI agent Maggie O'Dell is investigating a series of murders--the victims tortured, killed, and dumped in the Potomac River. She suspects it's the work of a cunning and brutal assassin, but her politically motivated boss has been putting up roadblocks. By the time she uncovers a hit list with Creed's name on it, it might be too late. The cartel has already sent someone to destroy Creed and everyone close to him. But Creed and his dogs have a few surprises in store on their compound in Florida. Will it be enough to stop a ruthless cartel determined to remove the thorn in its side once and for all?" --… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Alex Kava's book Breaking Creed was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Alex Kava is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,609,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible