Sabotaged by Dani Pettrey

Dani Pettrey recently slid the Alaskan Courage series to a dramatic finish in Sabotaged, a story that highlighted Reef - the former prodigal - while still involving all the siblings & their mates to some degree. Loyal readers of the books get to say goodbye (*wail*) to their own personal favorite character/couple with a very satisfying send-off, but not before we are taken along on a dangerous race to save lives and the Alaskan frontier. I thought Sabotaged could not have been a better way to end the series! We get to spend time with all of the McKennas, Reef finally has his chance to shine, and it's all set against the backdrop of an iconic Alaskan event - the Iditarod - and the current political debates about the pipeline. It seemed a fitting way to close this chapter, pun totally intended. ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |
Originally posted at The Scribbling Sprite.

The 5 McKenna siblings have been united, and it's a good thing too, because danger is afoot for their friend Kirra Jacobs and her family.

When Kirra's uncle, a musher in the Iditarod Dog Sled Race, goes missing, she and Reef McKenna are determined to find him. But what they thought was a simple case of missing persons turns out to be a much bigger problem. Now they're facing the kidnapping of Kirra's cousin, and a deadly race to stop a widespread disaster.

My review:

Joy.

I think that sums up the feelings I had when I finally laid hands on this book. I've followed the journey of the McKenna family since book 1 of the Alaskan Courage series, and was excited to see how the adventure concluded. I certainly was NOT disappointed.

I loved catching up with all of the old characters and getting to know Reef and Kirra better through their story. My favorite thing about the book is the likable characters and how easy it is to sympathize with them.

As a whole, Sabotaged was fast-paced, and I thought the mystery and the romance both to be very believable and fun. You romantic suspense lovers don't want to miss this series.

Content: Christian themes; Some kissing and embracing; Mention of a rape.

**I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review ( )
  ScribblingSprite | Aug 10, 2015 |
Sabotaged

Dani Pettrey

Book Summary: Finally Returned Home, Reef McKenna Finds His Beloved Alaska Facing Its Greatest Threat Growing up, goody-two-shoes Kirra Jacobs and troublemaker Reef McKenna were always at odds. Now, working together as search-and-rescue for Alaska's arduous Iditarod race, a growing attraction seems to be forcing aside old arguments. Then Reef catches Kirra sneaking from camp in the middle of the night. Kirra's uncle, a musher in the race, has disappeared. Kirra and Reef quickly track the man, but what they discover is harrowing: Frank's daughter has been kidnapped. Kirra and Reef, along with the entire McKenna family, are thrown into a race to stop a shadowy villain who is not only threatening a girl's life--but appears willing to unleash one of the largest disasters Alaska has ever seen.

Review: Great Storyline. The McKenna family is fun and it was great to read the final in the series. Everyone made an appearance. With the Iditarod as the backdrop for the suspense was fantastic. It seemed at times that the bad guys had eyes everywhere and that may it more intense. Kirra was very well written and demonstrated a growth throughout the book that made it enjoyable. Loved Reef, he was easy going and likable from his original appearance in previous books. The story lined challenged ‘the how far would you go’ questioned with the buffer of in faith we are in Christ, that we must pray and look to Him for our way in this fallen world. Not preachy but very thought provoking.

I would like to thank Bethany House for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone. ( )
  Robin661 | Mar 23, 2015 |
The first book I've read by Ms. Pettrey. Wonderful read. Lots of action, suspense, Christian morals, and exciting locales. I'm hooked. ( )
  mrsboone7 | Mar 9, 2015 |
Title: Sabotaged (Alaskan Courage #5)
Author: Dani Pettrey
Pages: 325
Year: 2015
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
This fifth and final installment in the Alaskan Courage Series focuses on the youngest male in the McKenna family, Reef. Reef and his childhood nemesis, Kirra Jacobs, have been paired together as sweepers for the Iditarod Sled Race. Sweepers follow behind the last place entrants making sure everyone arrives at checkpoints along the route before workers/volunteers move on to the next stop. Reef has always liked to tease Kirra, beginning when they were both in kindergarten. Now that they are both adults, Reef begins to see a new side to Kirra besides the bossy girl he grew up with. As the race progresses, Kirra’s uncle fails to check in at one of the stop-off points of the race. Kirra and Reef search for him, find him, but he refuses to return with them, telling them his only daughter has been kidnapped and he must perform a job to gain her release. He tells Kirra and Reef to find his daughter or many people will be hurt. What follows is a dangerous race between Kirra and Reef, Kirra’s uncle and unknown enemies as each party tries to reach their goal.
Kirra and Reef spend a great deal of time together tracking down clues to try and find Kirra’s cousin. They begin to see that there is much more to the other person than they originally thought. Reef has turned his life around now and longs to be the man God wants him to be. He really hopes Kirra can see that he has changed for the best. Kirra longs to stop being afraid and empty feeling inside. She has prayed to God for help, but can’t seem to find wholeness again. Can Reef be the person God has placed in her life to help fill the void?
This is a wonderful conclusion to a great series. The book was entertaining, exciting and depicted a wonderful God-centered romance. Reef has come such a long way in the series and turned out to be a man on fire for God! I just loved the way the family openly loved and supported one another in the good times and the bad times. I sure hope this author continues to write more stories as I will readily read them!
My rating is 5 stars.
Note: The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/. Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Mar 6, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076421196X, Paperback)

Pettrey's Bestselling Series Races to a Riveting Conclusion

Growing up, goody-two-shoes Kirra Jacobs and troublemaker Reef McKenna were always at odds. Now paired together on Yancey's search-and-rescue canine unit, they begin to put aside old arguments as they come to see each other in a different light. Then a call comes in from the Iditarod that will push them to their limits.

Kirra's uncle, a musher in the race, has disappeared. Kirra and Reef quickly track the man, but what they discover is harrowing. Frank's daughter has been kidnapped. In order to save her, the man must use his knowledge as a mechanical engineer to do the kidnapper's bidding or she will die. Kirra and Reef, along with the entire McKenna family, are thrown into a race to stop a shadowy villain who is not only threatening a girl's life, but appears willing to unleash one of the largest disasters Alaska has ever seen.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,951,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible