Love in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction:…

Love in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction: A Novel

by Judd Trichter

One of the best things I've read in quite a while. This futuristic novel is set in Los Angeles, at a time when humans (heartbeats) live along side androids (bots), who form an underclass struggling for their own existence. Eliot Lazar has committed the crime of falling in love with an android, but his life is truly turned upside down when his android girlfriend is captured and chopped up for spare parts. Eliot must navigate the dark corners of his world in order to hunt down every last piece of the android he loves so he can reassemble her. Fascinating, and filled with moral and philosophical questions! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Aug 4, 2015 |
This debut novel from author, Judd Trichter, is stunning. It's unique take on future robotics and the fascinating world building that seamlessly occurs had me hooked from page one. Eliot Lazar has fallen in love with a bot, a punishable crime, all he can think of is kicking his drug habit and stealing her away to a cult like island community that doesn't frown on bot/heartbeat relationships. The only problem is, his bot lover, Iris, has gone missing. The police have no interest in the case because she isn't his property and she is just a bot, but Eliot won't take no for an answer. He fortifies himself with the drip, a powerful drip, and discovers that Iris has been dismantled and it's up to him to track down all of her parts and hope to God that when he reassembles her, she'll be the same bot that he loves. Epic debut and great read! ( )
  ecataldi | Jun 30, 2015 |
It's the same old story. Boy meets girl, boy falls for girl, boy loses girl because she's a robot that gets broken up for parts, boy spends the book looking for her parts. Overall I liked the story but I had two main problems which I just could not over come. One was, really, the meat of the story. How does society change in a world where intelligent robots are treated like slaves? Slaves who take over most all human jobs. Slaves who are paid for their labor but are paid barely enough to buy the electricity they need to power themselves. Why are the robots so complicated that they can eat, drink, smoke cigarettes and have sex with heartbeats )the term used for humans)? The implementation of the invention of robots seemed designed to foster maximum human and robot resentment. It's hard to imagine how this economy actually works. There must be many people displaced from jobs, and not just menial jobs. What are they doing? The main character, Elliot, the boy from my opening, has a job and apparently a well paid one. What does he do? He's a robot salesman. Maybe I'm just reading too deeply into this but I think the author was leading me there with so many obvious parallels to 19th century slavery. The "boy looks for girl" plot is played out with this in the background and robot-heartbeat resentment guides the whole story.

My other problem should have been a minor one but the further I got into the book the worse it got for me. The story takes place late in the 21st century. Besides robots, the author comes up with some futuristic sounding technology called brane. Brane is a real word, you can look it up on Wikipedia. It's some sort of quantum physics thing which I can't claim to understand. In this story, every piece of technology we take for granted has been replaced by a brane. You have your pocketbrane (cell phone), your watchbrane (tells you the time), your deskbrane (PC), your newsbrane (newspaper), your adbrane (flyers, signs and billboards). There is never the slightest hint at how this technology works. Without exaggeration, the author uses the word brane 2 or 3 times per page. It would have been one thing if somehow the brane had something to do with the story. For example, a major turn of the plot relied on something a character could do because he had a pocketbrane that he couldn't have done with a cell phone. But no. Every instance of brane could have been replaced with the now-a-days equivalent without changing the plot one little bit.

And don't get me started in the use of "gold ingot" for dollar bills.

A started this review with a 3-star rating in mind but after proofreading the review, I changed to a 2-star rating.
  capewood | May 13, 2015 |
This story was enjoyable in spite of the cautionary message which it provides. It serves as yet another example of why mankind will create robots, clones, and other near-human devices to avoid labor and ennui. The prediction is that humanity will not be able to effectively address the ethical problems poised by such devices. Namely, are they entitled to human rights, freedoms and protections, or are they property just as Negro slaves were considered in the 19th century. The author seems to be sympathetic to the faction advocating rights and freedoms, whereas the society he protrays is generally not in agreement, and therein lies the plot. Good read, not boring, not preachy, and fun and amusing in places, I enjoyed it and would recommend it to any science fiction fan.
My thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and the author for the chance to read the work. I hope others find it interesting and enjoyable as well. ( )
  dmclane | Dec 23, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 125003602X, Hardcover)

Set in a near-future LA, a man falls in love with a beautiful android—but when she is kidnapped and sold piecemeal on the black market, he must track down her parts to put her back together.

Bad luck for Eliot Lazar, he fell in love with an android, a beautiful C-900 named Iris Matsuo. That’s the kind of thing that can get you killed in late 21th century Los Angeles or anywhere else for that matter – anywhere except the man-made island of Avernus, far out in the Pacific, which is where Eliot and Iris are headed once they get their hands on a boat. But then one night Eliot knocks on Iris’s door only to find she was kidnapped, chopped up, sold for parts.

Unable to move on and unwilling to settle for a woman with a heartbeat, Eliot vows to find the parts to put Iris back together again—and to find the sonofabitch who did this to her and get his revenge.

With a determined LAPD detective on his trail and time running out in a city where machines and men battle for control, Eliot Lazar embarks on a bloody journey that will take him to the edge of a moral precipice from which he can never return, from which mankind can never return.

Judd Trichter's Love in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction is a scifi love story that asks the question, how far will you go to save someone you love?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:49 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,999,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible