Two of Hearts by Christina Lee

Two of Hearts

by Christina Lee

141683,257 (3)None

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A shocking death, a casino in turmoil, can two old flames find their way back to each other?

Opening Sentence: “I inhaled a shaky breath as his coffin lowered into the solid ground.”

The Review:

Dakota is reeling from her father’s murder when she sees Shane at the funeral. She instantly remembers all of her feelings for him and tries to remain aloof. Two of Hearts is a romance but also a mystery. The mystery is Linden’s death and the turmoil that seems to spring up right away in the casino. Linden left the casino to his white wife Johanna and named his daughter Dakota as the operations manager. Shane and Dakota had a relationship five years in the past when they were in college, when faced with future choices Dakota choose to take a break and Shane just went along with it.

Johanna and Dakota are under pressure from the Casino Association to sell their casino, and Johanna’s motives come under fire because of rumors. Meanwhile, Shane and his team are investigating what is going with the casino and who is behind Linden’s death. After several attempts to avoid him, Dakota begins to fall back into a relationship with Shane. As Dakota continues to fight for the casino and what her father wanted, Shane and Dakota fall deeper and deeper into something!

That’s all I can say about what happens in the book without going into spoilers! This was a good book, I had a couple issues which I will go over, but I don’t want to focus on them too much because I really did enjoy Two of Hearts. In fact, I will get down to it right away, first I didn’t always like the interactions with Shane and Dakota, I kind of felt like everything was falling on her too much, she wanted the break, etc, etc, it didn’t last which is why I am not going to keep complaining about it. But my only real thought (which the author did address) was if he loved her so much why didn’t he open his mouth and say something when she wanted to take a break. Lastly, this was really more of a romance than mystery novel, which is fine, the author herself states this a romance, so it almost felt like the mystery was thrown in and watered down. By that I mean, the romance was really the central part and the mystery was often in the background or kind of glossed over.

Those were my only bones to pick, if I say more than I just seem a little nit picky. Besides, I did love Shane’s and Dakota’s interactions once they got passed figuring who to blame for the break-up. He was a good guy who supported, and wanted to be an important part of her life. Dakota was a kick ass and take names kind of girl and together they were smoking hot! I loved loved loved the Native American aspects of the novel, from the viewpoints on the casinos and the realistic conflict over a white owner on reservation land. Kudos to Christina Lee for her research and really attempting to convey such a rich culture in a wonderful light. I was a little shocked but not completely surprised by who was behind the turmoil and the murder of her father, so if you really like thrillers and mysteries you might find this one falls short in that aspect! For the romance genre it definitely hits home!

Notable Scene:

“In the sound of the wind, the melody of the crickets, and the brilliance of the sunset.”

“In the past five years I had placed my feelings for him in a nice little box and thrown them overboard into the vast darkness of my heart.”

“The same pride that would continue eating me alive, leave me bereft and alone.”

FTC Advisory: Signet/Penguin provided me with a copy of Two of Hearts. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Oct 7, 2015 |

From the author of the Between Breaths novels comes a gripping romance about finding yourself while taking a second chance at your first love…

Dakota Nakos was always the resilient, strong-willed achiever. But when her father dies and she’s entrusted with the family’s casino, she feels vulnerable, scared, and more than a little emotional —not exactly the best time to see an old lover she’s never really gotten over.

Dakota once meant the world to Shane Garrity. Then suddenly he left town to train as a U.S. Marshal, and their love for each other crashed into a memory. Now he’s come home for her father’s funeral, and one look at the girl he left behind stirs up both memories and regrets, and reignites a fire he feared he’d lost forever.

Dakota may be the same driven girl she always was, but she’s also changed in ways neither could have anticipated. She’s not just a young woman searching for own identity in the Native American community in which she was raised, but one questioning her new life outside her father’s shadow. Above all she wonders if Shane can push past her weakened defenses to rekindle what they once had, or whether the intense blaze between them will ultimately reduce her heart to ashes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:11 -0400)

"Dakota Nakos has always been a resilient, strong-willed achiever. But when her father dies and she's entrusted with the family's casino, she feels vulnerable, scared, and more than a little emotional not exactly the best time to see an old lover she's never really gotten over. Dakota once meant the world to Shane Garrity. Then suddenly he left town to train as a U.S. Marshal, and their love for each other crashed into a memory. Now he's come home for her father's funeral, and one look at the girl he left behind stirs up both memories and regrets, and reignites a fire he feared he'd lost forever. Dakota may be the same driven girl she's always been, but she's also changed in ways neither could have anticipated. She's not just a young woman searching for her own identity in the Native American community in which she was raised, but one questioning her new life outside her father's shadow. Above all, she wonders whether Shane can push past her weakened defenses to rekindle what they once had, or the intense blaze between them will ultimately reduce her heart to ashes"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible