The Olympus Cloud: Adventures of a Dreamer…

The Olympus Cloud: Adventures of a Dreamer

by Stephen Randel

113,689,591 (3)None
Recently added byArkhamReviews

No tags.

This collection offers a wide variety of different short stories that span many different themes. From horror, to science fiction, to fantasy - Max has a dream for you.

My favourite stories were the film noir-ish 'Ten Bones Per Day, Plus Expenses' and Japanese mythology themed 'The Red Oni' as I felt these both best show cased the author's incredible imagination, however not all of the stories tickled my interest quite so much.

Some of the stories were a little showy, spending far too much time establishing settings through lengthy paragraphs of exposition ('The Clockmaker' was the worst offender for this). There were also some stories that made confusing jumps between first and third person narratives ('Cretaceous' and 'The Trail') which I felt was unnecessary and a few more ('Missing Pets','Dead Fred' and 'The Trench') which did not feature the framing paragraph of Max falling asleep, leaving me confused as to whether these were dreams or supposed to be real life adventures.

My other gripe was as to who the target audience was. Although some of the stories were clearly written with a middle grade audience in mind, others were full of complex terminology that I though might be a little too difficult for a younger reader (though I appreciate that this could just be because I'm not American and so am no overly familiar with things like baseball and cowboys).

Stylistic gripes aside, it's still a fun little collection and Max certainly has charm as a character. I'm sure that many animal loving middle graders will quickly fall in love with him. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Aug 22, 2014 |

Do you ever wonder what your dog is dreaming about when its paws twitch? You might be surprised…. Some dogs can spend up to sixteen hours a day sleeping. For Max, a pugnacious French bulldog from Texas, this provides plenty of time for him to explore the world through his vivid imagination. His dreams are a doorway to excitement and adventure. Whether he’s solving mysteries, rescuing oth- er animals, or just plain saving the day, Max’s heroic exploits carry him around the block, around the country, and even around the planet. From the plains of Africa to the battlefields of France and into outer space, Max matches wits with everything from a zombie accountant to rodent gangsters and a myriad of mythical creatures. And in the end, the fearless and faithful little dog always makes it home in time for dinner.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:58 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,295,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible