The Sixteen (Soul Jumpers Book 2) by Ali B.

The Sixteen (Soul Jumpers Book 2)

by Ali B.

332,001,085 (4.33)None

Twelve-year-old Iris Brave has left home and family behind as the Sixteen begins. The novel tells the second part of Ali B.’s Soul Jumpers story, continuing on from a first book where the middle-grader discovered her father’s not dead; his soul has just moved to the body of teenager Kyle. Readers might want to start with book one, but with Iris’s dad a prisoner of the Council, and Iris hiding out among sixteen rebels, the story’s easy to pick up and ready to start at breakneck speed as the Sixteen begins.

A plot is hatched to rescue Iris’s father, the Iris finds herself, like many middle-graders, kept in the dark, never told the whole of any plan. Her tale is given in first person, and Iris’s frustrations and rebellions feel very real; she makes a very convincing 12-year-old, and she asks all the right questions to help readers both follow and catch up, even if they missed book one. School memories include references to classics – Emily Dickinson, Stephen Covey, and more – giving a feel of depth and intelligence to character and tale, and there’s a convincingly thoughtful contemporary feel to it all.

The action’s fast and furious. The character is convincingly middle-grade. The mysteries of soul jumping are nicely portrayed (and nothing nearly so simple as reincarnation). But Lewis, with his “big silly grin,” steals the show for me. He is truly delightful, adding humor and food for thought; I’m eager to see how his tale will progress.

The story ends with one wave of action over and another yet to start. Readers who like series will love it. Readers who record all their episodes off the TV to watch in one go might prefer to wait. But Soul Jumpers has plenty going for it and I’d certainly like to read more, even if some of the details do stretch my all-too-grown-up credulity.

Disclosure: I was given a free copy when I hosted the author on my blog, and I offer my honest review. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Nov 25, 2014 |
Excellent! A fine follow-up to "Iris Brave". A non-stop adrenaline rush from beginning to end. I had a few problems with the first book but those can be attributed to author's first-book-syndrome as they have been cleared up in this sequel. Iris is a fine character and one I've grown to care about. She is no longer so impulsive, yet still courageous, making her a much more believable, real character. I love the unique plot and while book one was mainly a set up, "The Sixteen" was action, through and through. We meet a great quirky bunch of supporting characters here and the ending brings a surprise twist. I also like that even though the book ends with rising action as Iris starts out on the next part of her journey, the plot here has a definitive climax and the reader finishes with a sense of satisfaction. A great second book and I'm highly looking forward to continuing this series. Bravo! ( )
  ElizaJane | Oct 13, 2014 |
The Sixteen by Ali B. is the second book in The Soul Jumper Series. It is for ages 8-12 but I think that it can be read by older children and adults. I don't usually read middle grade books so I was not sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised though as the story moved right along at a good pace and kept me interested. At times though I felt that Iris Brave seemed older than what she really was or rather she was very mature for her age.
Iris is trying to find her father Micah, who is a soul jumper. While she is taken prisoner by The Sixteen, a group of soul jumpers, she does find her father where she is held. Now she needs to figure out how to rescue him and get them both out of their prison. Can she succeed?

The story was told in the first person, Iris Brave, and a very imaginative speculation of people jumping into other people's bodys to prolong their life. I don't know as I would care to do that though, especially for instance if you were to jump into the body of a very young person or I suppose the very old. Still all in all an interesting concept. Iris is a very brave girl and she undertakes a journey that could be the end of all she holds dear. ( )
  celticlady53 | Oct 12, 2014 |

There are people out there who don’t die with their bodies. Their souls live on in the bodies of others. Some good, some bad—they are soul jumpers. Nothing in Iris Brave’s world make sense anymore. Her father, Micah, is still alive—his soul survives in the body of a teenage boy. It is up to Iris and a group of soul jumpers called the Sixteen to save Micah. To do so Iris must take on the unscrupulous leaders of the Council. Can she save her father? Will she survive?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:10 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,768,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible