The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

The Picture of Dorian Gray (1891)

by Oscar Wilde

25,35542044 (4)13 / 1144
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (chrisharpe)
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (sturlington, Morteana)
    sturlington: Read Oscar Wilde at his finest.
    Morteana: Dorian Grey is Wilde in his darkest of moods, but Earnest is one of his lightest.
    The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan Poe (WSB7)
    Death in Venice by Thomas Mann (roby72)
    Against Nature by Joris-Karl Huysmans (roby72, Zeeko, JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Wie in Wikipedia zu 'Gegen den Strich' beschrieben: "Ein französischer Roman, der den Protagonisten in Oscar Wildes Roman Das Bildnis des Dorian Gray zu dekadenten Ausschweifungen inspiriert, wird häufig als Anspielung auf À rebours gedeutet. Wilde war - wie auch Stéphane Mallarmé - ein Bewunderer des Romans."… (more)
    The Stranger by Albert Camus (SanctiSpiritus)
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind (spiphany)
    The Secret Life of Oscar Wilde by Neil McKenna (unknown_zoso05)
    unknown_zoso05: McKenna touches upon what influenced Wilde to write "The Picture of Dorian Gray".
    The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill (OneMorePage)
    Oscar Wilde: A Certain Genius by Barbara Belford (veracity)
    veracity: Belford discusses both editions of Dorian Gray.
    Shadow Dance by Angela Carter (rbtanger)
    Six Characters in Search of an Author by Luigi Pirandello (SandSing7)
    The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (chrisharpe)
    A fehér tigris by Ervin Lázár (Lucy_Skywalker)
    Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber (Joles)
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Heart of Darkness could be paired with Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray or the strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyse by Robert Louis Stevenson. In all three novels the authors depict the struggle of people against the forces of evil.
1890s (2)
Read (50)
Romans (26)
Unread books (1,039)

English (391)  Spanish (11)  French (9)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  Finnish (1)  All (421)
This is the ultimate novel of the Aesthetic Movement in England, written by the forerunner of said Movement, Oscar Wilde. Perhaps due to a natural affection for beauty--and perhaps due to the influence of certain English teachers (and their encouraging ISP flattery)--this book is one of my very favourites.

It tells the story of a beautiful young man who is willing to give up his soul so that he will never age himself. His portrait ages in his stead, displaying all the sin and cruelty of his life as it progresses while he looks never a day older than when it was painted.

It's a beautiful, Gothic piece, and is full of Wilde's typical witticisms, as well as his philosophies on the importance of beauty. Though at it's time it was scandalous and immoral, I believe that, if anything, Wilde displays that he fully understands the importance of a beautiful soul along with a beautiful face. Though we assume Lord Henry to be Wilde's voice throughout the novel, exalting Dorian's beauty and youth, it is important not to confuse the author with his characters or his work (a view Wilde always maintained throughout his life). After all, if Wilde truly did not care for the soul, would Dorian be punished in the end? Would he bother to make the portrait become ugly? The poetic justice in this book just doesn't match up with the brand of immorality. Wilde has displayed in this work, and in others, that though he may make charming, flippant, "immoral" statements all the time, below it he has a deep understanding of good and bad, and he employs them in his craft so cunningly that it frightened the Victorian audience. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
A young egotistic man whispers a prayer and gets exactly what he asked for.

How does one even begin to review this book? I disagreed vehemently with just about everything it proposed, and yet because of the writing, I continued to listen. Lord Henry. What are we to do with him? I've heard it proposed that he is meant to be Satan tempting Dorian, and there is an element of that, but to me he seemed more of a man who likes to hear himself talk and shock others, but doesn't really believe what he is saying. Dorian is loathsome. Innocent my foot. He latches on to the things Lord Henry says because it is in his nature already. Best described as a sociopath in my opinion. A sociopath who develops into a psychopath as easily as he puts on his gloves, and he wears well fitting gloves.

What I would really like to know, is how much of Oscar Wilde's beliefs are in this book. Or, did he write it to show the absurdity of the ideas propounded? The misogyny and cynicism within are breathtaking. Were they his? He had a difficult time of it being who he was in the time he lived; did he develop these views to survive? Now I think I must go read a biography of Oscar Wilde. ( )
1 vote MrsLee | Feb 28, 2017 |
Review: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. 02/25/2017

I thought it was time for another Classic. I also did some research on Oscar Wilde and what I read about his shady character it amazes me that he was a great writer. I enjoyed the story and found it easy to understand the philosophy throughout the book. There were three main characters, some crude remarks and opinions toward women and life in general. I felt like Oscar Wilde mentions some of his own issues and explanation about his behavior in his own life at that time.

Oscar Wilde focuses on beauty with dark sense of humor including an ironic view of vanity and desires. Wilde approaches several uncertainties that are important issues discussed in our world today. Today’s issues are the importance of youth and beauty in our society, the regard to homosexual love, morals, the alterative distinction between men and women and the serious emotional decisions about who we are as a person

I’ll start with the character Dorian Gray. To ladies and men he was a very attractive and irresistible male. His vanity showed throughout the story and he had an obsessive eternal desire to keep his youthful appearance. Dorian was a fashionable person with a high ego and displays an intelligent personality. Dorian, full of lust for himself gets ruin by his beauty when he asked Basil Hallward, an artist and friend to paint his portrait. Basil was drawn to Dorian and harbored strong feelings for him. While the painting was being done Dorian makes one statement that magically turns his life upside down. He wishes that he could stay forever young and charming as the painting. Well, his wish becomes real….

Dorian has a depraved friend named Lord Henry Wotton, who was bias, and a pessimistic observer of life and people, a satirical rational thinker with influencing devious ideas. His character brought interest to the story. When al three men were together Henry and Basil didn’t hold back their jealousy and both wanted full attention from Dorian. However, after the painting was done Dorian took it home and Basil slowly faded away for a while. Lord Henry was Dorian’s speaking companion and leads him astray. As the story progressed Dorian was taken in by the dark side of the society.

His activities and adventures filled the pages with scenes of Dorian’s bad behavior to the point that trouble was knocking at his back door. He shattered two women‘s future, he became a criminal, and he was dishonest with everyone all because the portrait of himself wasn’t showing the young attractive man. The Dorian Gray in the painting was aging which absolutely disturbed him enough that he struggled with bad temptations until one night he decided to expel the portrait completely out of his life….. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Feb 25, 2017 |
"How sad it is!" murmured Dorian Gray, with his eyes still fixed upon his own portrait. "How sad it is! I shall grow old, and horrible, and dreadful. But this picture will remain always young. It will never be older than this particular day of June.... If it were only the other way! If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that—for that—I would give everything! Yes, there is nothing in the whole world I would not give! I would give my soul for that!"

And so it begins, the descent of Dorian Gray. A gothic horror that deals in manipulation, class, the adoration of youth and the price of sin. To name but a few of the themes that prevail in this book. For me the book really takes off in the second half and is worth persevering because the first half, although not dull may be considered slow by some. The description of Dorians trip to the opium den is a particularly vivid metaphor for his downward spiral into sin. ( )
  Lord_Boris | Feb 21, 2017 |
Kindle, Fiction
  Dakotabluegrass | Jan 31, 2017 |
A young egotistic man whispers a prayer and gets exactly what he asked for.

Wilde, OscarAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is an expanded version of

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

The studio was filled with the rich odor of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amid the trees of the garden, there came through the open door the heavy scent of lilac, or the more delicate perfume of the pink flowering thorn.
'Your rank and wealth, Harry; my brains, such as they are—my art, whatever it may be worth; Dorian Gray's good looks—we shall all suffer for what the gods have given us, suffer terribly.'
'Harry,' said Basil Hallward, looking him straight in the face, 'every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter. The sitter is merely the accident, the occasion. It is not he who is revealed by the painter; it is rather the painter who, on the coloured canvas, reveals himself. The reason I will not exhibit this picture is that I am afraid that I have shown in it the secret of my own soul.'
He played with the idea and grew willful; tossed it into the air and transformed it; let it escape and recaptured it; made it iridescent with fancy and winged it with paradox. The praise of folly, as he went on, soared into a philosophy, and Philosophy herself became young, and catching the mad music of pleasure, wearing, one might fancy, her wine-stained robe and wreath of ivy, danced like a Bacchante over the hills of life, and mocked the slow Silenus for being sober. Facts fled before her like frightened forest things. Her white feet trod the huge press at which wise Omar sits, till the seething grape-juice rose round her bare limbs in waves of purple bubbles, or crawled in red foam over the vat's black, dripping, sloping sides. It was an extraordinary improvisation. He felt that the eyes of Dorian Gray were fixed on him, and the consciousness that amongst his audience there was one whose temperament he wished to fascinate seemed to give his wit keenness and to lend colour to his imagination. He was brilliant, fantastic, irresponsible. He charmed his listeners out of themselves, and they followed his pipe, laughing. Dorian Gray never took his gaze off him, but sat like one under a spell, smiles chasing each other over his lips and wonder growing grave in his darkening eyes.
Children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes they forgive them.
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.
This is the main work for The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Dorian Gray, un giovane di straordinaria bellezza, si è fatto fare un ritratto da un pittore. Ossessionato dalla paura della vecchiaia, ottiene, con un sortilegio, che ogni segno che il tempo dovrebbe lasciare sul suo viso, compaia invece solo sul ritratto. Avido di piacere, si abbandona agli eccessi più sfrenati, mantenendo intatta la freschezza e la perfezione del suo viso. Poiché Hallward, il pittore, gli rimprovera tanta vergogna, lo uccide. A questo punto il ritratto diventa per Dorian un atto d'accusa e in un impeto di disperazione lo squarcia con una pugnalata. Ma è lui a cadere morto: il ritratto torna a raffigurare il giovane bello e puro di un tempo e a terra giace un vecchio segnato dal vizio.
(piopas)
Miroir, oh, miroir.
Dis-moi qui est le plus beau!
Je sais le plus laid.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375751513, Paperback)

A lush, cautionary tale of a life of vileness and deception or a loving portrait of the aesthetic impulse run rampant? Why not both? After Basil Hallward paints a beautiful, young man's portrait, his subject's frivolous wish that the picture change and he remain the same comes true. Dorian Gray's picture grows aged and corrupt while he continues to appear fresh and innocent. After he kills a young woman, "as surely as if I had cut her little throat with a knife," Dorian Gray is surprised to find no difference in his vision or surroundings. "The roses are not less lovely for all that. The birds sing just as happily in my garden."

As Hallward tries to make sense of his creation, his epigram-happy friend Lord Henry Wotton encourages Dorian in his sensual quest with any number of Wildean paradoxes, including the delightful "When we are happy we are always good, but when we are good we are not always happy." But despite its many languorous pleasures, The Picture of Dorian Gray is an imperfect work. Compared to the two (voyeuristic) older men, Dorian is a bore, and his search for ever new sensations far less fun than the novel's drawing-room discussions. Even more oddly, the moral message of the novel contradicts many of Wilde's supposed aims, not least "no artist has ethical sympathies. An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style." Nonetheless, the glamour boy gets his just deserts. And Wilde, defending Dorian Gray, had it both ways: "All excess, as well as all renunciation, brings its own punishment."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:24 -0400)

The story of a fashionable young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty.

Legacy Library: Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Oscar Wilde's legacy profile.

See Oscar Wilde's author page.

5 2029

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439572, 0141037687, 0141442468, 014119264X, 0143106147, 0141199490

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832335, 1907832378

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,807,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible