The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

The Picture of Dorian Gray (original 1890; edition 2003)

by Oscar Wilde (Author)

29,41249262 (4)13 / 1271
An exquisitely beautiful young man in Victorian England retains his youthful and innocent appearance over the years while his portrait reflects both his age and evil soul as he pursues a life of decadence and corruption.
Member:lorenajocelyne
Title:The Picture of Dorian Gray
Authors:Oscar Wilde (Author)
Info:Barnes & Noble Classics (2003), 288 pages

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (1890)

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (chrisharpe)
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (sturlington, Morteana)
    sturlington: Read Oscar Wilde at his finest.
    Morteana: Dorian Grey is Wilde in his darkest of moods, but Earnest is one of his lightest.
    The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings [Bantam Classics] by Edgar Allan Poe (WSB7)
    Death in Venice by Thomas Mann (roby72)
    Against Nature by Joris-Karl Huysmans (roby72, Zeeko, JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Wie in Wikipedia zu 'Gegen den Strich' beschrieben: "Ein französischer Roman, der den Protagonisten in Oscar Wildes Roman Das Bildnis des Dorian Gray zu dekadenten Ausschweifungen inspiriert, wird häufig als Anspielung auf À rebours gedeutet. Wilde war - wie auch Stéphane Mallarmé - ein Bewunderer des Romans."… (more)
    The Secret Life of Oscar Wilde by Neil McKenna (unknown_zoso05)
    unknown_zoso05: McKenna touches upon what influenced Wilde to write "The Picture of Dorian Gray".
    The Stranger by Albert Camus (SanctiSpiritus)
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind (spiphany)
    Oscar Wilde: A Certain Genius by Barbara Belford (veracity)
    veracity: Belford discusses both editions of Dorian Gray.
    The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill (OneMorePage)
    The Wild Ass's Skin by Honoré de Balzac (Lapsus_Linguae)
    Lapsus_Linguae: Both novels use fantastic elements and focus on the depiction of moral degradation of the main heroes.
    Shadow Dance by Angela Carter (rbtanger)
    A fehér tigris by Ervin Lázár (Lucy_Skywalker)
    Eugene Onegin: A Novel in Verse by Alexander Pushkin (TheLittlePhrase)
    Aubrey Beardsley Drawings by Aubrey Beardsley (SnootyBaronet)
    Six Characters in Search of an Author by Luigi Pirandello (SandSing7)
    The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (chrisharpe)
    Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber (Joles)
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Heart of Darkness could be paired with Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray or the strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyse by Robert Louis Stevenson. In all three novels the authors depict the struggle of people against the forces of evil.

1890s (2)
Read (50)
Romans (26)

English (454)  Spanish (14)  French (11)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Arabic (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (492)
Few books have left me with as many mixed opinions as this one. At it's core this book taught me this:
As we try to kill the parts of ourselves that reveal the past, as we try to remove the stains that shame us, as we stab the markings of our sins, we end up killing ourselves; because it is from the visibility of these monstrous attributes that we learn. The ghosts from our past should hunt us, the real fear that we must have is when they stop doing so. ( )
  nachous98 | Jan 4, 2020 |
(This was a "joint read" at the suggestion of my childhood friend, who lives across the country from me now. Still waiting for her to finish so we can discuss it.)

I'm glad to finally have this classic under my belt. Like most people, I knew the basic premise of the story - Dorian Gray stays young while his portrait, hidden away in an attic, grows old - but not the details. There are two other characters who figure significantly in the story: Basil is the artist who painted the eponymous portrait; and Lord Henry is the epigram-spewing gentleman who might be credited for steering Dorian down the wrong path.

One of the ideas that really struck me in this story - because it is something I have often wondered about - is the question of what influences character. For example, can meeting a certain person or reading a certain book at a certain time have an impact on what we become? Or is character predetermined, and so the things that resonate with us are those that reinforce what we already are? (If Wilde is speaking through Lord Henry - who is really an annoying character, so I hope not - he has definite ideas about that.)

UPDATE: Last night I watched a pretty decent film version, "Dorian Gray," that was never released in the US but was available at my library. It made a lot of changes to the story, but I can see why they were necessary to make an interesting movie. Also, it had Colin Firth in it and I would happily watch footage of him reading the phone book. ( )
  AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |
A brilliant read, with gothic undertones. A monstrous shadow is at play throughout, which grows more and more immense as the story progresses. The author was fearless in his exploration of love and passion, sensation, intellect, youth, ageing, and morality. I finished with a lingering sadness that he was vilified for exploring such themes. ( )
1 vote Elizabeth_Foster | Dec 24, 2019 |
READ IN ENGLISH

A friend of mine told me about The Picture of Dorian Gray and she is quite a fan of it. I wanted to read it as well, to see if it really was as good as she said. I enjoyed reading it. For me, it wasn't the best book I've ever read and there wasn't much surprise for me in it (my friend told me the story) but it was still interesting to read in my opinion. It took me quite some time to finish the book, but that hadn't to do with the story. It was also the first book I read online (instead of on paper) so I had to get used to that as well. ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
O fato de eu ter visto a adaptação de 2009 primeiro acabou estragando um pouco a magia da leitura. A maior revelação do plot eu já conhecia. Mas mesmo assim o livro não deixa de ser bom. ( )
  AnnieBitencourt | Nov 19, 2019 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is an expanded version of

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

The studio was filled with the rich odor of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amid the trees of the garden, there came through the open door the heavy scent of lilac, or the more delicate perfume of the pink flowering thorn.
'Your rank and wealth, Harry; my brains, such as they are—my art, whatever it may be worth; Dorian Gray's good looks—we shall all suffer for what the gods have given us, suffer terribly.'
'Harry,' said Basil Hallward, looking him straight in the face, 'every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter. The sitter is merely the accident, the occasion. It is not he who is revealed by the painter; it is rather the painter who, on the coloured canvas, reveals himself. The reason I will not exhibit this picture is that I am afraid that I have shown in it the secret of my own soul.'
He played with the idea and grew willful; tossed it into the air and transformed it; let it escape and recaptured it; made it iridescent with fancy and winged it with paradox. The praise of folly, as he went on, soared into a philosophy, and Philosophy herself became young, and catching the mad music of pleasure, wearing, one might fancy, her wine-stained robe and wreath of ivy, danced like a Bacchante over the hills of life, and mocked the slow Silenus for being sober. Facts fled before her like frightened forest things. Her white feet trod the huge press at which wise Omar sits, till the seething grape-juice rose round her bare limbs in waves of purple bubbles, or crawled in red foam over the vat's black, dripping, sloping sides. It was an extraordinary improvisation. He felt that the eyes of Dorian Gray were fixed on him, and the consciousness that amongst his audience there was one whose temperament he wished to fascinate seemed to give his wit keenness and to lend colour to his imagination. He was brilliant, fantastic, irresponsible. He charmed his listeners out of themselves, and they followed his pipe, laughing. Dorian Gray never took his gaze off him, but sat like one under a spell, smiles chasing each other over his lips and wonder growing grave in his darkening eyes.
Children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes they forgive them.
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.
This is the main work for The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Dorian Gray, un giovane di straordinaria bellezza, si è fatto fare un ritratto da un pittore. Ossessionato dalla paura della vecchiaia, ottiene, con un sortilegio, che ogni segno che il tempo dovrebbe lasciare sul suo viso, compaia invece solo sul ritratto. Avido di piacere, si abbandona agli eccessi più sfrenati, mantenendo intatta la freschezza e la perfezione del suo viso. Poiché Hallward, il pittore, gli rimprovera tanta vergogna, lo uccide. A questo punto il ritratto diventa per Dorian un atto d'accusa e in un impeto di disperazione lo squarcia con una pugnalata. Ma è lui a cadere morto: il ritratto torna a raffigurare il giovane bello e puro di un tempo e a terra giace un vecchio segnato dal vizio.
(piopas)
Miroir, oh, miroir.
Dis-moi qui est le plus beau!
Je sais le plus laid.
L'âme en ce portrait. Miroir d'hier et du jour. Choc et élégance.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439572, 0141037687, 0141442468, 014119264X, 0143106147, 0141199490

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832335, 1907832378

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,709,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible