the picture of dorian gray by oscar wilde

the picture of dorian gray (original 1891; edition 1993)

by oscar wilde

24,44940744 (4)13 / 1048
Member:tnajim
Title:the picture of dorian gray
Authors:oscar wilde
Info:quality paperback book club (1993), Paperback
Tags:classic

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (1891)

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (chrisharpe)
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (sturlington, Morteana)
    sturlington: Read Oscar Wilde at his finest.
    Morteana: Dorian Grey is Wilde in his darkest of moods, but Earnest is one of his lightest.
    The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan Poe (WSB7)
    Death in Venice by Thomas Mann (roby72)
    Against Nature by Joris-Karl Huysmans (roby72, Zeeko, JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Wie in Wikipedia zu 'Gegen den Strich' beschrieben: "Ein französischer Roman, der den Protagonisten in Oscar Wildes Roman Das Bildnis des Dorian Gray zu dekadenten Ausschweifungen inspiriert, wird häufig als Anspielung auf À rebours gedeutet. Wilde war - wie auch Stéphane Mallarmé - ein Bewunderer des Romans."… (more)
    The Stranger by Albert Camus (SanctiSpiritus)
    Perfume by Patrick Süskind (spiphany)
    The Secret Life of Oscar Wilde by Neil McKenna (unknown_zoso05)
    unknown_zoso05: McKenna touches upon what influenced Wilde to write "The Picture of Dorian Gray".
    The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill (OneMorePage)
    Oscar Wilde: A Certain Genius by Barbara Belford (veracity)
    veracity: Belford discusses both editions of Dorian Gray.
    Shadow Dance by Angela Carter (rbtanger)
    Six Characters in Search of an Author by Luigi Pirandello (SandSing7)
    A fehér tigris by Ervin Lázár (Lucy_Skywalker)
    The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (chrisharpe)
    Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber (Joles)
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Heart of Darkness could be paired with Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray or the strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyse by Robert Louis Stevenson. In all three novels the authors depict the struggle of people against the forces of evil.
1890s (2)
Read (50)
Romans (26)
Unread books (1,032)

English (378)  Spanish (10)  French (9)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (405)
A classic that really will give you reason to thing about things in a different light. I actually think this was a refreshing read and I realize that maybe now that I am older I should re-read some of these classics that I should have read and understood when I was younger. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
I cannot honestly say that I enjoyed this book, though it has a clever plot. The experience was a shudder of unpleasant sensations at every sitting. Dorian Gray is a monster. His story is a walk through the degradation of a soul. The book causes doubt about the actual goodness in humanity, trumpeting the dangers of a selfish nature and the importance of choosing one's friends with the utmost care. As Dorian Gray discovered, friends have a heavy hand in the molding of one's character. Following is one paragraph that stood out to me: "Ah! in what a monstrous moment of pride and passion he had prayed that the portrait should bear the burden of his days, and he keep the unsullied splendor of eternal youth! All his failure had been due to that. Better for him that each sin of his life had brought its sure swift penalty along with it. There was purification in punishment." Like Dorian Gray, every member of humanity is free to make choices in life. But for us, the consequences of those choices must be endured. Dorian appeared to sidestep the consequences of his sins, but in truth he bore them in invisible ways as he watched the soul of his portrait rot with corruption. I must now seek out a light-hearted book to lift my spirits and restore my faith in mankind once again. ( )
  REGoodrich | Aug 10, 2016 |
So far it is probably one of the best books i have ever read. but i haven't that many books. one of the aspects that was my favorite while reading this book was the little aphorisms he would sprinkle in in conversations. they were like little bacon bits of wisdom that would increase my intrige for the characters and storyline. he made it seem that people in that age age were more enlightened, it also made me want to be more enlightened. i guess that was what made the book so great for me. the different perspectives that the characters would say about society that were at the same time quite true but also quite controversial. views on beauty, men, women, knowledge, exercise, the soul, the senses, they were so intrigueing to me, it makes the book worth reading, maybe even several times. ( )
  shavenbaboon | Aug 7, 2016 |
I very much enjoyed reading this classic. It's one I've wanted to read for years because my mom many years ago said she enjoyed it. I finally got to it after it was chosen by my online book club.

This was quite the horror story. I enjoyed picturing in my mind everything that was happening. It got creepier as it went along. It had a sudden and powerful ending.

I also liked reading about the undercurrents of homosexuality in this story which had been published in 1891. I know that the author was gay and wondered how this would play out in reading his works. In this book, it was clear that the painter Basil Hallward obviously adored the protagonist, Dorian Gray. Gray's other close friend, Lord Henry Wotton, was always a part of his life. On the other hand, Gray never had a fully satisfactory relationship with women in this story and was still a bachelor at this tale's end.

There were two things I liked a bit less about this book. Firstl, I had the Russian edition of the English version. Therefore I could not read the footnotes which were all in Russian. I started looking up terms and people I didn't know, but that got old pretty soon.

I also didn't like when the story went off on long tangents of conversation. I especially disliked the part where the author itemized all of Gray's studies and reading. I thought that part would never end.

Nevertheless, this is a fun and worthwhile read. I definitely would recommend it to others who like to read classics and horror stories. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Jul 16, 2016 |
Rapturous prose and a poignant, thought-provoking idea. A classic for a reason–anyone can relate to the questions, emotions, and themes presented through Dorian, Basil and Harry. ( )
  chronoceros | Jul 15, 2016 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is an expanded version of

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

The studio was filled with the rich odor of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amid the trees of the garden, there came through the open door the heavy scent of lilac, or the more delicate perfume of the pink flowering thorn.
'Your rank and wealth, Harry; my brains, such as they are—my art, whatever it may be worth; Dorian Gray's good looks—we shall all suffer for what the gods have given us, suffer terribly.'
'Harry,' said Basil Hallward, looking him straight in the face, 'every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter. The sitter is merely the accident, the occasion. It is not he who is revealed by the painter; it is rather the painter who, on the coloured canvas, reveals himself. The reason I will not exhibit this picture is that I am afraid that I have shown in it the secret of my own soul.'
He played with the idea and grew willful; tossed it into the air and transformed it; let it escape and recaptured it; made it iridescent with fancy and winged it with paradox. The praise of folly, as he went on, soared into a philosophy, and Philosophy herself became young, and catching the mad music of pleasure, wearing, one might fancy, her wine-stained robe and wreath of ivy, danced like a Bacchante over the hills of life, and mocked the slow Silenus for being sober. Facts fled before her like frightened forest things. Her white feet trod the huge press at which wise Omar sits, till the seething grape-juice rose round her bare limbs in waves of purple bubbles, or crawled in red foam over the vat's black, dripping, sloping sides. It was an extraordinary improvisation. He felt that the eyes of Dorian Gray were fixed on him, and the consciousness that amongst his audience there was one whose temperament he wished to fascinate seemed to give his wit keenness and to lend colour to his imagination. He was brilliant, fantastic, irresponsible. He charmed his listeners out of themselves, and they followed his pipe, laughing. Dorian Gray never took his gaze off him, but sat like one under a spell, smiles chasing each other over his lips and wonder growing grave in his darkening eyes.
Children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes they forgive them.
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.
This is the main work for The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Dorian Gray has just had his portrait painted. It is a perfect likeness of the quite extraordinary beautiful young man, and it prompts him to make a mad wish for eternal youth. In the years to come, he devotes his public life to and aestheticism-and his private one to decadence and debauchery.

Bodley Head,

London, 1925. hardcover. Book Condition: fine. Keen, Henry (illustrator). Introduction by Osbert Burdett. Frontispiece portrait and 11 additional plates by Henry Keen. Illustrated end papers, decorations on title page and throughout to text. 250 pages. Tall 8vo, black watered silk with black morocco spine, elegantly stamped in gilt, t.e.g. London: John Lane The Bodley Head
AR7.7, 14 Pts
Miroir, oh, miroir.
Dis-moi qui est le plus beau!
Je sais le plus laid.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375751513, Paperback)

A lush, cautionary tale of a life of vileness and deception or a loving portrait of the aesthetic impulse run rampant? Why not both? After Basil Hallward paints a beautiful, young man's portrait, his subject's frivolous wish that the picture change and he remain the same comes true. Dorian Gray's picture grows aged and corrupt while he continues to appear fresh and innocent. After he kills a young woman, "as surely as if I had cut her little throat with a knife," Dorian Gray is surprised to find no difference in his vision or surroundings. "The roses are not less lovely for all that. The birds sing just as happily in my garden."

As Hallward tries to make sense of his creation, his epigram-happy friend Lord Henry Wotton encourages Dorian in his sensual quest with any number of Wildean paradoxes, including the delightful "When we are happy we are always good, but when we are good we are not always happy." But despite its many languorous pleasures, The Picture of Dorian Gray is an imperfect work. Compared to the two (voyeuristic) older men, Dorian is a bore, and his search for ever new sensations far less fun than the novel's drawing-room discussions. Even more oddly, the moral message of the novel contradicts many of Wilde's supposed aims, not least "no artist has ethical sympathies. An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style." Nonetheless, the glamour boy gets his just deserts. And Wilde, defending Dorian Gray, had it both ways: "All excess, as well as all renunciation, brings its own punishment."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:24 -0400)

An exquisitely beautiful young man in Victorian England retains his youthful and innocent appearance over the years while his portrait reflects both his age and evil soul as he pursues a life of decadence and corruption.

Legacy Library: Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Oscar Wilde's legacy profile.

See Oscar Wilde's author page.

5 1971

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439572, 0141037687, 0141442468, 014119264X, 0143106147, 0141199490

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832335, 1907832378

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,389,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible