the picture of dorian gray by oscar wilde

the picture of dorian gray (original 1891; edition 1993)

by oscar wilde

24,76841044 (4)13 / 1077
Title:the picture of dorian gray
Authors:oscar wilde
Info:quality paperback book club (1993), Paperback

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (1891)

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (chrisharpe)
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (sturlington, Morteana)
    sturlington: Read Oscar Wilde at his finest.
    Morteana: Dorian Grey is Wilde in his darkest of moods, but Earnest is one of his lightest.
    The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan Poe (WSB7)
    Death in Venice by Thomas Mann (roby72)
    Against Nature by Joris-Karl Huysmans (roby72, Zeeko, JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Wie in Wikipedia zu 'Gegen den Strich' beschrieben: "Ein französischer Roman, der den Protagonisten in Oscar Wildes Roman Das Bildnis des Dorian Gray zu dekadenten Ausschweifungen inspiriert, wird häufig als Anspielung auf À rebours gedeutet. Wilde war - wie auch Stéphane Mallarmé - ein Bewunderer des Romans."… (more)
    The Stranger by Albert Camus (SanctiSpiritus)
    Perfume by Patrick Süskind (spiphany)
    The Secret Life of Oscar Wilde by Neil McKenna (unknown_zoso05)
    unknown_zoso05: McKenna touches upon what influenced Wilde to write "The Picture of Dorian Gray".
    The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill (OneMorePage)
    Oscar Wilde: A Certain Genius by Barbara Belford (veracity)
    veracity: Belford discusses both editions of Dorian Gray.
    Shadow Dance by Angela Carter (rbtanger)
    Six Characters in Search of an Author by Luigi Pirandello (SandSing7)
    A fehér tigris by Ervin Lázár (Lucy_Skywalker)
    The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (chrisharpe)
    Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber (Joles)
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Heart of Darkness could be paired with Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray or the strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyse by Robert Louis Stevenson. In all three novels the authors depict the struggle of people against the forces of evil.
1890s (2)
Read (50)
Romans (26)
Unread books (1,035)

English (382)  Spanish (10)  French (9)  German (3)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (410)
It's a classic so... it's as good as a classic ever is. For its era it must have been pretty edgy and dark, and, even in our modern cynical world, it is still kinda dark and surprising. Though I think by now the story "twist" is part of our popular culture so nobody is going to be very shocked.

This book is very difficult to get through in text as it has multiple descriptive tangents which drove me crazy, but as an audio, it was much less boring (guess I phased out during the boring bits)...

That all being said, I read this for a research project and, as such, it was one of the more bearable books I had to read. Though I would not read it again, nor would I read anything else by Wilde... I just don't care about wealthy gay men and their trials and tribulations as they screw their way across the city. ( )
  crazybatcow | Oct 11, 2016 |
I love Oscar Wilde! ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
This book started out with 3 stars from me. (Egads!) Two subsequent stars came along only after I'd sat with it for a bit (and ranted thoroughly about it). The work itself is a little like opium. The scent, the words, the depth and even the demise of it's characters being intoxicating as, rightly, any novel with gothic elements should be.

I think the reader can grandly sup on Wilde's quotable and quite revealing prose. I found the inversion of Plato's philosophy that an educated love of beauty, truth, etc. can beat out immorality to be intriguing and wonderfully wrought.

I might have wanted to sock Lord Henry one too many times, but I respect and admire how his character and the influence of said character upon Dorian is rendered. However, as mentioned before, I found myself ranting quite a bit about the annoyance and disgust I felt towards the characters as a whole or as individuals. This is definitely not one of those books to find many a redeeming quality floating about it's principal players. Which definitely serves its point well enough.

All in all, I loved the painted picture cast by Wilde's voluptuously wordsmith prose. I loved how much I hated the characters' sybaritic lives. I loved that it made me think and even draw out my dusty Plato knowledge from a humanities class that had rolled under a few ancient stacks of odds and ends in my brain.
1 vote lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
I'll just say that I read this edition, because there are so many editions it would take me forever to find mine. It was an old, ratty paperback that I borrowed from someone else so, needless to say, I don't think I'll ever locate it.

I really liked this book. It was scathing, witty, dry and had some of the humour that Wilde is so well-known for. The language is quite antiquated and really took me quite some time to get used to. But I took my time with it and really enjoyed it in the end. I think the dialogue took the longest to get used to, because he wasn't always clear with who said what.

I liked all the characters and thought that the narrative was really well-constructed. I thought it was a really engrossing, short story and found it really readable.

It was quite thrilling in the end and I look forward to reading more of Wilde's work. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
A classic that really will give you reason to thing about things in a different light. I actually think this was a refreshing read and I realize that maybe now that I am older I should re-read some of these classics that I should have read and understood when I was younger. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is an expanded version of

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Has as a student's study guide

The studio was filled with the rich odor of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amid the trees of the garden, there came through the open door the heavy scent of lilac, or the more delicate perfume of the pink flowering thorn.
'Your rank and wealth, Harry; my brains, such as they are—my art, whatever it may be worth; Dorian Gray's good looks—we shall all suffer for what the gods have given us, suffer terribly.'
'Harry,' said Basil Hallward, looking him straight in the face, 'every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter. The sitter is merely the accident, the occasion. It is not he who is revealed by the painter; it is rather the painter who, on the coloured canvas, reveals himself. The reason I will not exhibit this picture is that I am afraid that I have shown in it the secret of my own soul.'
He played with the idea and grew willful; tossed it into the air and transformed it; let it escape and recaptured it; made it iridescent with fancy and winged it with paradox. The praise of folly, as he went on, soared into a philosophy, and Philosophy herself became young, and catching the mad music of pleasure, wearing, one might fancy, her wine-stained robe and wreath of ivy, danced like a Bacchante over the hills of life, and mocked the slow Silenus for being sober. Facts fled before her like frightened forest things. Her white feet trod the huge press at which wise Omar sits, till the seething grape-juice rose round her bare limbs in waves of purple bubbles, or crawled in red foam over the vat's black, dripping, sloping sides. It was an extraordinary improvisation. He felt that the eyes of Dorian Gray were fixed on him, and the consciousness that amongst his audience there was one whose temperament he wished to fascinate seemed to give his wit keenness and to lend colour to his imagination. He was brilliant, fantastic, irresponsible. He charmed his listeners out of themselves, and they followed his pipe, laughing. Dorian Gray never took his gaze off him, but sat like one under a spell, smiles chasing each other over his lips and wonder growing grave in his darkening eyes.
Children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes they forgive them.
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.
This is the main work for The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Dorian Gray has just had his portrait painted. It is a perfect likeness of the quite extraordinary beautiful young man, and it prompts him to make a mad wish for eternal youth. In the years to come, he devotes his public life to and aestheticism-and his private one to decadence and debauchery.

Bodley Head,

London, 1925. hardcover. Book Condition: fine. Keen, Henry (illustrator). Introduction by Osbert Burdett. Frontispiece portrait and 11 additional plates by Henry Keen. Illustrated end papers, decorations on title page and throughout to text. 250 pages. Tall 8vo, black watered silk with black morocco spine, elegantly stamped in gilt, t.e.g. London: John Lane The Bodley Head
AR7.7, 14 Pts
Miroir, oh, miroir.
Dis-moi qui est le plus beau!
Je sais le plus laid.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375751513, Paperback)

A lush, cautionary tale of a life of vileness and deception or a loving portrait of the aesthetic impulse run rampant? Why not both? After Basil Hallward paints a beautiful, young man's portrait, his subject's frivolous wish that the picture change and he remain the same comes true. Dorian Gray's picture grows aged and corrupt while he continues to appear fresh and innocent. After he kills a young woman, "as surely as if I had cut her little throat with a knife," Dorian Gray is surprised to find no difference in his vision or surroundings. "The roses are not less lovely for all that. The birds sing just as happily in my garden."

As Hallward tries to make sense of his creation, his epigram-happy friend Lord Henry Wotton encourages Dorian in his sensual quest with any number of Wildean paradoxes, including the delightful "When we are happy we are always good, but when we are good we are not always happy." But despite its many languorous pleasures, The Picture of Dorian Gray is an imperfect work. Compared to the two (voyeuristic) older men, Dorian is a bore, and his search for ever new sensations far less fun than the novel's drawing-room discussions. Even more oddly, the moral message of the novel contradicts many of Wilde's supposed aims, not least "no artist has ethical sympathies. An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style." Nonetheless, the glamour boy gets his just deserts. And Wilde, defending Dorian Gray, had it both ways: "All excess, as well as all renunciation, brings its own punishment."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:24 -0400)

An exquisitely beautiful young man in Victorian England retains his youthful and innocent appearance over the years while his portrait reflects both his age and evil soul as he pursues a life of decadence and corruption.

Legacy Library: Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Oscar Wilde's legacy profile.

See Oscar Wilde's author page.

5 1996

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439572, 0141037687, 0141442468, 014119264X, 0143106147, 0141199490

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832335, 1907832378

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,821,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible