the picture of dorian gray by oscar wilde

the picture of dorian gray (original 1891; edition 1993)

by oscar wilde

22,47034356 (4.01)13 / 926
Member:tnajim
Title:the picture of dorian gray
Authors:oscar wilde
Info:quality paperback book club (1993), Paperback
Tags:classic

The picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (1891)

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (chrisharpe)
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (sturlington)
    sturlington: Read Oscar Wilde at his finest.
    The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan Poe (WSB7)
    Death in Venice by Thomas Mann (roby72)
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind (spiphany)
    Against Nature by Joris-Karl Huysmans (roby72, Zeeko, JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Wie in Wikipedia zu 'Gegen den Strich' beschrieben: "Ein französischer Roman, der den Protagonisten in Oscar Wildes Roman Das Bildnis des Dorian Gray zu dekadenten Ausschweifungen inspiriert, wird häufig als Anspielung auf À rebours gedeutet. Wilde war - wie auch Stéphane Mallarmé - ein Bewunderer des Romans."… (more)
    The Stranger by Albert Camus (SanctiSpiritus)
    The Secret Life of Oscar Wilde by Neil McKenna (unknown_zoso05)
    unknown_zoso05: McKenna touches upon what influenced Wilde to write "The Picture of Dorian Gray".
    The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill (OneMorePage)
    Oscar Wilde: A Certain Genius by Barbara Belford (veracity)
    veracity: Belford discusses both editions of Dorian Gray.
    A fehér tigris by Ervin Lázár (Lucy_Skywalker)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (sturlington)
    Six Characters in Search of an Author by Luigi Pirandello (SandSing7)
    Shadow Dance by Angela Carter (rbtanger)
    The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (chrisharpe)
    The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares (StevenTX)
    Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber (Joles)
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Heart of Darkness could be paired with Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray or the strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyse by Robert Louis Stevenson. In all three novels the authors depict the struggle of people against the forces of evil.
1890s (5)
Read (49)
Romans (26)
Unread books (1,066)

English (319)  Spanish (8)  French (7)  German (3)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (343)
This is my "OPINION" of the book, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

I read pieces of this book in literature classes through out school but never the whole novel until now. What a waste of time. The story itself was rather good and could have been SO MUCH more if it would have been written by someone other than Oscar Wilde.

The story, as I mentioned, was quite interesting but Wilde (for whatever reason) decided that the story line would take a backseat to the endless, boring views to a pompous group of men--Dorian, Lord Henry and Basil--calling each other beautiful and stating hundreds of times that they could not live without one of the others, worshiped one of the others, etc, etc, etc.

While reading the Picture of Dorian Gray, I skipped large chunks of text just to avoid Lord Henry's ignorant revelations and lord Henry's/Basil's continuous praise of Dorian's beauty and how everyone loved him and wanted to copy him, possess him, etc.

The repetition of these passages did nothing to add value to the story. It almost seemed like I was reading the same chapter over and over again with only slight changes. A few pages of text that progressed the story and then countless pages of these three main characters stroking each others egos.

I feel that Wilde's intent with this book was to voice his opinions on everything in life while trying to disguise it as a piece of "thriller" fiction. This was especially evident with the quick and lazy ending he decided to use...wrapping up the actual story portion of his rants in just a couple of pages. ( )
  Disco_grinch | Feb 27, 2015 |
A great work of literature. Truly remarkable an idea.I liked this book ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
Dorian Gray has always been one of my favorite classics. The lesson is that karma is real and vanity is a pitfall. ( )
  Willow1972 | Feb 8, 2015 |
  Willow1972 | Feb 8, 2015 |
I have to say that I liked "The Importance of Being Earnest" much more than I did this book. There were areas that I enjoyed but for the most part I just got tired of the flowery language and the over abundance of description. At some point there was a whole chapter's worth of description that I just would have cut completely. It was basically a list of stuff that Dorian Gray likes. I had to skip through most of the chapter; and that's saying a lot since I tend to bask in pretty words.

The idea that people, when given the chance to live wickedly without showing the outward signs of their deeds was an interesting one. Also, the fact that those who had not been directly affected by Dorian's actions could not think ill of him because he looked so young and beautiful. It makes me think about how sometimes, even today, we assume that beauty is a manifestation of the beauty inside a person, when in reality, it's sometimes the most beautiful people that can be the most hideous.

Overall, I felt that this book had some interesting notions that is was exploring, but the writing put me off. I can see why he only wrote the one novel. He tends to go a little crazy on the descriptions, which is distracting and sometimes annoying. I did enjoy the dialogue however. The dialogue is where the majority of the ideas come through, so naturally I found that more interesting than the actual narrative. Because of this, I actually thought that this would work better as a play than a novel.

Notable Quotes:

"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes."

"Those who are faithful know only the trivial side of love: it is the faithless who know love's tragedies."

"I don't want to see him alone. He says things that annoy me. He gives me good advice."

"The reason we all like to think so well of others is that we are all afraid for ourselves. The basis of optimism is sheer terror." ( )
  kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is an expanded version of

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

The studio was filled with the rich odor of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amid the trees of the garden, there came through the open door the heavy scent of lilac, or the more delicate perfume of the pink flowering thorn.
La fragancia de las rosas llenaba el estudio y, al soplar entre los árboles del jardín la suave brisa estival, entraba por la puerta abierta el fuerte olor de las lilas o el perfume más sutil del rosado espino en flor.
'Your rank and wealth, Harry; my brains, such as they are -- my art, whatever it may be worth; Dorian Gray's good looks -- we shall all suffer for what the gods have given us, suffer terribly.'
'Harry,' said Basil Hallward, looking him straight in the face, 'every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter. The sitter is merely the accident, the occasion. It is not he who is revealed by the painter; it is rather the painter who, on the coloured canvas, reveals himself. The reason I will not exhibit this picture is that I am afraid that I have shown in it the secret of my own soul.'
He played with the idea and grew willful; tossed it into the air and transformed it; let it escape and recaptured it; made it iridescent with fancy and winged it with paradox. The praise of folly, as he went on, soared into a philosophy, and Philosophy herself became young, and catching the mad music of pleasure, wearing, one might fancy, her wine-stained robe and wreath of ivy, danced like a Bacchante over the hills of life, and mocked the slow Silenus for being sober. Facts fled before her like frightened forest things. Her white feet trod the huge press at which wise Omar sits, till the seething grape-juice rose round her bare limbs in waves of purple bubbles, or crawled in red foam over the vat's black, dripping, sloping sides. It was an extraordinary improvisation. He felt that the eyes of Dorian Gray were fixed on him, and the consciousness that amongst his audience there was one whose temperament he wished to fascinate seemed to give his wit keenness and to lend colour to his imagination. He was brilliant, fantastic, irresponsible. He charmed his listeners out of themselves, and they followed his pipe, laughing. Dorian Gray never took his gaze off him, but sat like one under a spell, smiles chasing each other over his lips and wonder growing grave in his darkening eyes.
Children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes they forgive them.
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.
This is the main work for The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Dorian Gray has just had his portrait painted. It is a perfect likeness of the quite extraordinary beautiful young man, and it prompts him to make a mad wish for eternal youth. In the years to come, he devotes his public life to and aestheticism-and his private one to decadence and debauchery.
AR7.7, 14 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375751513, Paperback)

A lush, cautionary tale of a life of vileness and deception or a loving portrait of the aesthetic impulse run rampant? Why not both? After Basil Hallward paints a beautiful, young man's portrait, his subject's frivolous wish that the picture change and he remain the same comes true. Dorian Gray's picture grows aged and corrupt while he continues to appear fresh and innocent. After he kills a young woman, "as surely as if I had cut her little throat with a knife," Dorian Gray is surprised to find no difference in his vision or surroundings. "The roses are not less lovely for all that. The birds sing just as happily in my garden."

As Hallward tries to make sense of his creation, his epigram-happy friend Lord Henry Wotton encourages Dorian in his sensual quest with any number of Wildean paradoxes, including the delightful "When we are happy we are always good, but when we are good we are not always happy." But despite its many languorous pleasures, The Picture of Dorian Gray is an imperfect work. Compared to the two (voyeuristic) older men, Dorian is a bore, and his search for ever new sensations far less fun than the novel's drawing-room discussions. Even more oddly, the moral message of the novel contradicts many of Wilde's supposed aims, not least "no artist has ethical sympathies. An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style." Nonetheless, the glamour boy gets his just deserts. And Wilde, defending Dorian Gray, had it both ways: "All excess, as well as all renunciation, brings its own punishment."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:35 -0400)

An exquisitely beautiful young man in Victorian England retains his youthful and innocent appearance over the years while his portrait reflects both his age and evil soul as he pursues a life of decadence and corruption.

Legacy Library: Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Oscar Wilde's legacy profile.

See Oscar Wilde's author page.

4 1994

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439572, 0141037687, 0141442468, 014119264X, 0143106147, 0141199490

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,820,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible