Who Needs a Prairie?: A Grassland Ecosystem…

Who Needs a Prairie?: A Grassland Ecosystem (Ecosystem Series)

by Karen Patkau

1512647,891 (4)4

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a beautiful book! The painted pictures look realistic. I didn't want to put it down and neither did my children. They were fascinated by the information about the animals on the prairie as well as the detail in the pictures. This is a great book for elementary and middle school kids as well as adults who enjoy children's books and beautiful artwork. ( )
  MandiLeighJohnson | Jan 7, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Bright and colourful this book on prairie ecosystem is a pleasure to look at. The prose is a little stilted and often more of a list of flora and fauna switching from one animal to the next. Perhaps mentioning fewer animals in the text would have left space for how they fit into the ecosystem. I am impressed that they mentioned things like bacteria and fungi and some insects aspect of all ecosystems all too often overlooked. ( )
  fmgee | Nov 25, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As one who lives on the prairie, I looked forward to receiving this book from Early Reviewers. I was not disappointed. Written for elementary school aged children, it has many beautiful photos and pictures illustrating how the animals on the prairie live. I found the language to be understandable for the intended audience. This would be an excellent resource for a classroom or school library. ( )
  sdbookhound | Nov 15, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a great resource for elementary students. The illustrations are fantastic and create a search-and-find aspect to reading this book. The information is simple and therefore not necessarily suited for in-depth research.
I enjoyed my journey through the prairies. ( )
  SheilaCornelisse | Nov 5, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Who Needs A Prairie? I thought this book was mostly well written and informative. The illustrations were bright, colourful and well done. I live on the prairie that is depicted in the book, surrounded by the plants and animals - except for the bison. Some of the chapters I found a little lacking in substance, and I didn't like the brief one sided treatment of farming and ranching practices in the "prairie plants protect the land" page. I would also like to have seen a larger glossary. ( )
  redevils | Nov 3, 2014 |

Karen Patkau takes readers on an amazing voyage of discovery to find out: How wild and rugged prairies become grasslands, why prairie inhabitants depend on each other and their surroundings, what wildlife and plants thrive in large open spaces, how seasons and weather conditions affect life on the prairies, how fire restores the land, what life is like on the Great Plains, how a food chain forms, how some prairie plants protect the land, why we need prairies.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Karen Patkau's book Who Needs a Prairie? A Grassland Ecosystem was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,419,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible