Astray (Gated Sequel) by Amy Christine…

Astray (Gated Sequel)

by Amy Christine Parker

Series: Gated (2)

A perfect sequel! ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
After Lyla Hamilton left the Community, all she wanted was a normal life. But that's difficult when she has to attend a school where most of the kids don't want her there, she has to come face-to-face with her former cult friends at every turn, and she's being protested by townspeople. Plus she has to continue to visit her parents, who are still firmly attached to the Community, even though she isn't sure if she wants to do that. And then Pioneer will still not let Lyla go.

I was really hoping for more from this sequel, but it just didn't do much of anything for me. The writing style is better, I must say, but the book still plods along at an incredibly slow pace, so much so that it took me about five months to read a 350 page book. Normally I can buzz through one of those in a few hours.

I wanted to like Lyla, I truly did, but I just couldn't connect with her character at all. The same goes for Cody, who is more developed here, but still feels like a foil for Lyla and not a "real" person at all.

The one thing I can say is that the author doesn't shy away from killing off characters! Both the social worker and the kind teacher bite the dust by the end. I always get a little pissed off when characters enter into crazy dangerous situations and yet no one the reader "knows" dies in the end, so A+ on that!

Meh, I'd have to give this duology a pass. ( )
  schatzi | Nov 6, 2015 |
A good shepherd doesn't lie down when one of his sheep is still astray.  --Pioneer, leader of the Community
For Jay, always
It's been a month since the world was supposed to end.

Lyla is caught between two worlds. The isolated Community that she grew up in and the outside world that she’s navigating for the very first time. The outsiders call the Community a cult, but Pioneer miraculously survived a shooting that should have killed him. Are the faithful members right to stay true to his message? Is this just a test of faith? One thing is for sure: the Community will do anything to bring Lyla back to the fold. Trapped in a spider’s web of deception, will Lyla detect the sticky threads tightening around her before it’s too late? She’ll have to unravel the mystery of what Pioneer and the Community are truly up to if she wants to survive.

Suspenseful and chilling, Astray is Amy Christine Parker’s nerve-fraying sequel to Gated. This fast-paced psychological thriller is masterfully plotted and sure to leave goose bumps. Perfect for fans of creepy YA thrillers and contemporary fiction alike.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:53 -0400)

Lyla thought she was free from the survivalist Community, but it is hard to break the hold their leader Pioneer has even though he is in jail--and he is planning to use his powerful influence to get his revenge on Lyla and the town.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,432,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible