Since You've Been Gone by Mary Jennifer…

Since You've Been Gone

by Mary Jennifer Payne

Este definitivamente entra a mi TOP 10: Peores libros leídos en el 2014.

En un principio nos encontramos a Edie y su mamá -Sydney- quienes tienen que abandonar los Estados Unidos inmediatamente, para irse a Londres ¿por qué? Están huyendo del abusivo padre de Edie.

Problema 1: EDIE.
Edie es el peor personaje que he leído en mi vida. Egoísta, egocéntrica, despreciable.

Para que se hagan una idea, en su primer día de clases, una chica super amable, llamada Imogen, se le acerca para darle la bienvenida y ¿qué hace Edie? Nota que Imogen tiene cicatrices en los brazos y cree que eso es asqueroso, así que claro que la trata mal.

I notice the round scabs running up and down the inside skin of her forearms. Gross. I notice that black electrical tape is the only thing holding the right arm of her glasses onto the frames. What a freak. She actually wants me to shake her hand? Instead of getting the hint, she scurries up beside me like a cockroach.

Problema 2: SIGUE SIENDO EDIE.
Después de dos días en Londres, la mamá de Edie sale a trabajar y no regresa. Ha desaparecido dejando a Edie sola en un país desconocido, y ¿ella qué hace? PREOCUPARSE POR SU VIDA AMOROSA. Porque qué importa que tu mamá este desaparecida y posiblemente muerta por ahí mientras tu tengas un chico lindo a tu lado, ¿cierto?

Problema 3: EL FINAL... Y EDIE.
La resolución del "misterio" de lo que ocurre con la mamá de Edie termina siendo bastaaante obvio. Eso sumado con que no pude simpatizar con el personaje principal en ningún momento, hizo que lo único que sintiera en los momentos "sentimentales" del final fuera: decepción y vació. No me importó para nada el desenlace. Y por lo único por lo que me sentí triste fue por haber perdido mi tiempo leyendo esto.

Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

This book was not what I expected at all. For me it mostly came short on believability for there was none.

I didn't hate it. It was a very quick read and not uninteresting but it had problems, especially once you started to think about it.

Edie and her Mom have been on the run for the last five years. In a hurry, they leave Canada for England (where her mother comes from anyway, so if you really wanted to move somewhere where they wouldn't look for you, why not go to Italy for example). She goes to a new school, but the first girl who talks to her is a bit weird and a nerd so Edie's mean to her. We were supposed to like her?

Edie on school is portrayed very inconsistently. One moment she's being bullied, then she's kind of bullying herself. She seems to have gotten some friends who are no longer mentioned in the whole rest of the book as soon as the far-too-obvious love interest appears.

When her mother doesn't return from her work one day, Edie goes on a quest to find her. Strange people show up at her apartment (making you wonder exactly what they are on the run for), but going to the police apparently is no option. Especially in this new city, where Edie doesn't know anything. At all.

It's only a short novel but there's a lot cramped in it. This made it feel rushed. Why three stars you ask? Sometimes it's hard to explain but if you just read this book superficially it's okay, it's not a bad YA mystery. And I always like books set in London. My advice would just be not to think too much whilst reading it.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
I received this book from Netgalley in return for a review.

Edie is 15 year old a girl who, while smart and capable, hasn't been allowed to form relationships with her peers and always feels on the outside. Her mother was severely abused by her father and has kept Edie on the run hiding from him since she was 10. This time they moved from Toronto, Canada, to London.

The author describes quite well the alienation and anger Edie feels, and when her mother doesn't come home from work the first night at her new job, her panic over her situation. Edie doesn't know what to do except cover up what has happened and pretend everything is fine.

She has barely had time to make any friends, but one person she confides in is Jermaine, a boy who has a bad reputation. They take off and try to find out what happened.

This book is written well, though there are formatting problems with the Kindle edition I read. It was a very quick read. I had a few problems with her decisions but of course they are made to further the story. There were good illustrations of the types of bullying and racial negativity teens can face. It just seemed rushed after 2/3rds of the book to get to the end. Perhaps there could have been more exposition of her school relationships and a fleshing out of Jermaine's character and his backstory. I can see how the target audience would like this book. ( )
  cynrtst | May 13, 2016 |
This book and I got off to a really bad start. Within the first few opening pages, I was furious at the main character and her mother, wanted nothing more to do with either of them, and was sitting in tears at a table in the food court at work. But I forced myself to go on, and while I'm glad I finished the book, it fell short for me. I'm afraid my initial reaction to the book soured it a bit for me, which isn't really the book's fault, but I'll try to go into what I liked and didn't like, aside from the book's opening.

My main issue was with the main character, Edie. Over time, I've come to realize that the main character in a book doesn't necessarily need to be likable for me to enjoy the book, and Edie definitely fits the bill of an unlikable character. She's angry, lashes out often, and judges others pretty harshly. There have been plenty of other characters like her, characters that I have grown to like in spite of their cruelty to others, but I didn't feel that way with Edie for a long time. The Edie we see in some scenes seems completely separate from the Edie in other scenes, and I had a hard time reconciling the two. I wish we as readers got to know Edie better over the course of the book, that we got to know more of what her life in Canada was like, just... more.

The story itself, Edie aside, is enjoyable, but I wish it had been a bit longer. There's a lot of stuff crammed into this book, especially into the last few pages, and it felt a bit overwhelming. The book brings up some really good points, and it would have been nice for a lot of those issues to be given more page time or otherwise explained in a bit more detail. I think they would have had a much bigger impression that way. At times, it felt like the reader was getting too much at once, and other times, it was very frustrating to get little hints of what was going on when we were fairly late in the story and wanted to know much more.

I enjoyed Payne's writing quite a bit. I finished the book fairly quickly, despite my initial reaction, and would definitely read another one of her books in the future.

I received a copy from this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for the opportunity to read this book! ( )
  Saviris | Apr 1, 2016 |
I received an ARC ebook from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

I liked "Since You've Been Gone" quite a bit. -- 3.75 stars out of 5.

The novel has excellent pacing and strong emotions, and it kept my attention all the way through. At the end, I was craving for a bit more, a good thing.

Eddie and her mother run away from her evil of a father, moving from Canada to England. But Eddie is not a happy teen. She despises everything to the point she becomes an unlikable, difficult-to-relate-to character.

We see south London through Eddie's eyes, and most times is a bleak picture--violent, dirty, confined. Again, she hates the world around her. However, it does bring a touch of realism to the novel.

Overall, "Since You've Been Gone" is a fast-paced, very enjoyable novel, but it's not for everyone due to the unsympathetic protagonist. ( )
  Gerardo.Delgadillo | Mar 29, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,061,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible