The Rescue at Dead Dog Beach: One Man's…

The Rescue at Dead Dog Beach: One Man's Quest to Find a Home For the…

by Stephen McGarva

I have had this book on my shelf for a long while. Every once in a while I would come across this book thinking I have to pick it up soon and read it. I finally got the chance to pick up the book. This book is way better then I ever thought it would be. This is the first time that I cam really remember hearing the name Stephen McGarva. I don't remember reading about him in People or seeing him on Ellen. Although, there needs to be more people like Mr. McGarva featured in today's news versus all of the celebrities. In my book it is people like Mr. McGarva that are heroes. They help give the voices to all of the animals of the world that can't speak for themselves. I am a great dog lover.

There was one statement that Mr. McGarva said towards the end of the book that had me cheering. It was "It is important to get the word out that pit bulls, like most dogs, are gentle, loving animals, with the right training." This is awesome because in the beginning I really was not sure about pit bulls. My husband had always wanted one for the longest time but I always said no. With the death of my husband's youngest brother several years ago, we inherited a blue nose pit bull named Keech. He is the biggest teddy bear. He does not have a mean bone in his body. My whole perception of this breed changed. We now own 3 pit bulls. They are lovers and not fighters.

Reading this book and all of the inhumane treatment that the dogs endured was horrible. I can't believe that people can treat animals like this or the fact that the police would allow this to go on for so long. My heart just swelled with joy and sadness when Mr. McGarva opened his heart and fought for all of the dogs. I could understand his anger towards all of the people that reached out to him to assist but did not really want to get their hands dirty. In fact, I was so angry at these people as well and I have never met them. My heart broke when Mr. McGarva was saying good bye to all of the dogs. If you are a dog lover like me then you will enjoy this book. ( )
  Cherylk | Sep 7, 2016 |
This book was an eye opener.A tough read, but a worthwhile one. I have been to several islands in the Caribbean (mostly small islands and either former English or Dutch colonies) and saw dogs all over , under trees in the shade, under cars for the same reason.I would never have thought such despicable actions would happen.These islands are not the tropical ideal, that we think.Heaven will definitely have a spot reserved for the author. Members of my family are involved in dog rescue groups.Please be kind to our animal friends! ( )
  DeniseDuvall | Mar 28, 2015 |
Typically when one reads a book with "dog" and "rescue" in the title one expects to hear about horrible conditions encountered by the "rescuer" and how they managed to establish some kind of organization to care for the animals. THAT'S NOT THIS BOOK! This book is about this one crazy guy who went to the beach every day to feed and train the dogs that hadn't been killed in the night by the locals. Although the author tried, all of his efforts were of no avail, and he was not successful in establishing a rescue before he was forced to leave the island for fear of death. The writing isn't very good and it was very repetitious. Yes, we KNOW he's depressed because the dogs keep dying, yes we KNOW he's drinking too much, yes, we KNOW that his wife is at her wit's end--reading this once or twice would have been okay. But we hear it all over and over again! I really do not recommend this as a dog rescue story... ( )
  alexann | Jan 19, 2015 |
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book !!!
An extremely heart-wrenching tale about one mans quest to help the dogs of Puerto Rico. I can't imagine how Steve McGarva managed to go to "Dead Dog Beach" daily but God bless him ! An amazing man with an amazing story ! ( )
  ginger72 | Jan 8, 2015 |
I must start this review by saying that this is definitely not an easy read. It is heartbreaking. I will never understand how people can hurts animals simply to hurt them for fun. These are some sick people. Sadly, there are many everywhere. Abandonment of an animal is sad, but injuring is unforgivable in my eyes.

I have actually been to Puerto Rico, and when I saw so many feral dogs, I was shocked. It was very eye opening. I will also remember the feeling I had overcome me when I went to Trinidad and saw sickly and dying dogs in the ditches on the sides of "de roads". It is such commonplace.

After reading this book, I count my blessings that I DID NOT witness humans physically hurting or killing these dogs, as Steve witnessed in Puerto Rico. I cannot even imagine. This man had such a huge heart for "his dogs"! I honestly do not know who he did what he did day in and day out. He is someone I wish I had as a friend!

I highly recommend this book, but I do warn people, that they will need a light read to rotate in and out with this book. It will bring you to tears... ( )
  patsaintsfan | Oct 20, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062014080, Hardcover)

The powerful, heartbreaking, yet hopeful, story of Steve McGarva’s heroic crusade to save the satos, or stray dogs of Puerto Rico, and an impassioned appeal to help all animals in need.

Looking for inspiration and adventure in their lives, Steve McGarva and his wife Pam moved to Puerto Rico. While kite surfing at Playa Lucia, Steve made a shocking discovery—a sick and abandoned dog—that would transform his life. With its shimmering white sand, palm trees, and dazzling azure water, the beach looked postcard perfect. But its beauty hid a dark side: To the locals, this slice of paradise was known as Dead Dog Beach—a notorious dumping ground for the island’s unwanted canines.

Considered a threat to the area’s lucrative tourism industry, these defenseless animals were in constant danger of brutality and death. Enraged, and refusing to accept such cruelty, McGarva began protecting these helpless animals—actions that would jeopardize his marriage, challenge his sanity, and make him a target of locals determined to stop him.

The Rescue at Dead Dog Beach is the story of Steve’s fearless dedication to hundreds of dogs, and his efforts to expose their systemic abuse. Exposing the true costs of the tourist industry, it is also a call to arms for animal lovers, offering insights and practical information to help strays anywhere in the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:05 -0400)

Describes the author's efforts to protect the stray dogs of Puerto Rico after discovering Dead Dog Beach, a notorious dumping ground for the island's unwanted canines, and the opposition he faced from locals determined to stop him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,411,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible