In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller) by…

In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller)

by Mark Dawson

Beatrix Rose is a special agent cut from the Jason Bourne cloth. She’s a dead shot with any weapon, be it a 9mm handgun, a H&K automatic, a throwing knife or a khurkuri blade. She’s the ultimately deniable operational asset. Beatrix Rose can take on six jihadi gunmen while munching morphine and fighting the symptoms of her increasingly serious illness. What an entire platoon of SEALs might fail to do, Beatrix can accomplish all on her ownsome.

If that’s too tough for you to swallow then look elsewhere for your entertainment. But if you like your protagonist to be unfeasibly accomplished and almost unstoppable, and enjoy stunning slices of near non-stop action, then settle down for a rapid-fire read.

We enter part-way through Beatrix’s story, and find her hiding in plain sight in Marrakech. There’s a fair bit of back-story to catch up on, and while that is delivered in bite-size chunks, a container cargo ship is hijacked – a gripping action sequence which feels far too credible for comfort. The crew and security guys are held hostage, and that’s the trigger for Beatrix to leave her lair. She has unfinished business with one of the ex-soldiers, business which sends her straight into the line of fire…

If some of the characters are supermen, whose abilities defy the suspension of disbelief, then the weapons tech and tactical background to this hardcore op feel thoroughly grounded in well-informed reality. The military jargon is delivered without frills; the descriptive passages just detailed enough to drag you into the theatre of the action without slowing the pace or relaxing the tension.

Like an ongoing TV series, the end of this book is nowhere near the end of the story. This episode closes after establishing the parameters of the narrative and the core characters, with high-level machinations in the background. It’s a breathless concoction of a series of carefully choreographed action set pieces, and the promise of much more of the same to come.

I’d be happy to read the next book in the series, but don’t expect any kind of resolution to the story arc any time soon.
8/10

The full review is over at
https://murdermayhemandmore.wordpress.com/2015/11/02/in-cold-blood-desert-storm/ ( )
  RowenaHoseason | Jun 22, 2016 |
I picked this up as one of Samsung's Book Deals offerings, and have mixed feelings about the book. The first half, except for the bits with Somalian pirates, are excruciatingly dull; while the second half - minus the ending - is exciting, interesting, and hard to put down. And the author gets too focused on minor details too often. I do not plan to pick up the sequel, unless it is in next month's Book Deals. Lastly, I do not fully understand the protagonist. If I had only a year to live, I would spend as much time as I could with my estranged daughter and not on retribution! ( )
  dewbertb | Apr 14, 2016 |
So I started this book about a year ago, dropped it in the middle for whatever reason, and then recently began reading Ghosts, #4 in the John Milton series, which I enjoy. In that one (see my review) Milton is helped out of a jam by the Russians who want him to locate Beatrix Rose, who had been #1 in “Control’s” British secret organization of assassins. Hence the backstory in the beginning of Ghosts wherein Rose’s husband is killed after she discovers that Control is running his own little personal operation. With me so far?

So now we’re back to Beatrix Rose #1, In Cold Blood, in which she, having discovered she has cancer, has embarked on a journey of revenge to get those operatives who were involved in the killing of her husband. So she proceeds to take on hordes of Somalis bailing out an entire SEAL platoon in order to kill Joyce, #10, who had participated in the killing of her husband. She, in turn, gets rescued by the fortuitous presence of Michael Pope (more later) who is monitoring everything and uses some drones to take out some more bad guys. I never said this would be easy.

Surprisingly, the Milton book, Ghosts, does begin to tie things together. Kind of clever on the author’s part to relate the series together like a mosaic. The two series should probably be read concurrently and in order, starting with the John Milton books. They get better as they go along and the author does have a nice vocabulary. Mine is pretty good but I had to look up about half dozen. ( )
  ecw0647 | Jan 4, 2016 |
Book 1, in the Beatrix Rose trilogy

Be warned, once you start with the first book you will flip pages till you have reached the final chapter in book 3. This is a great series where the author takes the time to set up the stage in order to hook you up in his world then bang he pushes you into gritty action and one of those thrilling moment you will not want to let go. Yes that good.

Beatrix Rose, the protagonist, is an assassin with six names on her hit list. She has pay back on her mind and in “In Cold Blood” she goes after her first target, a mercenary held hostage by Somali terrorists. Although this is the first installment there is a whole back story I seemed to have missed out on. Mr. Dawson does allude to the past from time to time but not enough to fill the void. I guess those who have read other books may know more about Beatrix and conclude this series is a spin-off of another series. Time will tell for the novice.

This is a quick read, not taxing at all and packed with explosive action from start to finish. This propulsive thriller has an interesting lead character in Beatrix, she is direct and all business she plain does her move without a second thought and as the most dangerous assassin in a government kill squad she is not a kind of person you want to play with. Following her on her deadly quest is exciting and very captivating.

Very good quite entertaining ( )
  Tigerpaw70 | Sep 14, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,989,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible