TJ by Boris Beedle
312,001,085 (4)None
Recently added bylizasarusrex, srkromer, BorisB2014

No tags.

Tony isn't surprised at the choice of hotel the private investigator told him to meet his son. It's extravagant, and luxurious, a lifestyle Tony isn't used to, but he knows his son is, from reading the many tabloids over the years.

This is a book about Tony who abandoned his son and daughter at age six because of the insanity TJ's mother, grandmother, and aunt put them through. Finally TJ and Tony can both agree that his mother is a hard woman to live with, and his aunt and grandmother are just as bad.

When TJ and Tony finally meet, it's a lot of back and forth conversation that leads to a lot of defensiveness. Tony thinks TJ wants a meaningful relationship, with a heart felt apology. TJ wants...well, I don't think TJ knows what he wants.

Throughout a big portion of the book, they share different parts of their lives with one another. In between almost every subject they come upon, they argue a bit. I wondered what would be Tony's breaking point, that he finally cut the conversation off and left.

TJ and Tony are interesting characters that seem very similar in personality and opinions, they just don't know that. Their dialogue was sometimes so choppy it was difficult to tell who was speaking. A large part of the book is just the meeting they have in the hotel, and the conversations they had during their first introduction. I felt like the book repeated itself, bringing up the same subjects with the same expressed opinions. Overall, it's a good book for those that don't mind a lot of dialogue, and a limited amount of settings. I'd give it a 3/5. ( )
  lizasarusrex | Mar 8, 2015 |

A dynamic mash-up between memoir and novel, Boris Beedle's "TJ" is intense, overwhelming, scandalous, and many may even think, controversial. But for those who are looking for a great read with dozens of meaty conversation starters, then "TJ" is for you. When sexy actor TJ Hartwell decides to reach out to his estranged father, after an absence of 25 years, he's not sure whether he will show up at the luxury hotel room TJ has booked for their meeting. But he does. And the remainder of the night becomes much more than your typical reunion as the men not only try to get to know each other, filling in the holes of history from their 25 years apart, but there are also flashbacks to other characters who are integral to each man's story: the cynical Hollywood legend, the smart mouth assistant,the abusive mother, the selfish sister, the needy best friend. Yup, they all play a role in TJ. TJ is tasty, touching, exceptional and fast-moving. It's about how we as a society parent our children; it's about love, sex, marriage, divorce and about the distorted celebrity culture we live in. It will force you to examine your relationships with everyone in your life; and ask you to consider what we should expect from love and marriage. There are also several twists and stunning surprises but there will be no spoilers here. If you want a great book club recommendation, or maybe a book to share among your own family, this is as good a choice as you'll find to spark conversations no matter how they end.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,772,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible