The Crawling Terror by Mike Tucker
819150,606 (3.96)2

READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review, thank you!

Publication Date: September 9th 2014

I anticipation of the new Doctor Who series (where we'll finally get to know the new Doctor) I'm reading/reviewing a few of the new Doctor Who Books. If you want to catch up, you can read my reviews for Touched by an Angel (Weeping Angels) and The Engines of War ("Ex-ter-mi-nate!"), featuring my two favourite Doctor who monsters.

The Crawling Terror is a new kind of book for me on a number of levels, for it is the first Doctor who novel I've read that featured either Clara (I don't like her), the 12th Doctor, or adversaries that are not already iconic, like the Daleks for example.

Do you like insects? And spiders? Then you're just going to love this story, as some massive insects and spiders feature in it. Giant spiders are nothing new of course (think for example Harry Potter, or Middle Earth) but they never fail to freak people out. I, myself was scared by the thought of giant mosquitoes, as I always try to stay away from even the little ones.

The TARDIS brings Clara and the new Doctor to a little village in England, under attack by said insects and arachnids. It looks like the local science park might be responsible, but just what has it all to do with an alien species and a military experiment completely gone wrong?

The story started quite creepy actually, something I don't always experience in Doctor Who. There was a rising tension as the villagers tried to run from the attack. The second half or so of the story is more bizarre as everything (well, almost everything, but no Daleks) gets thrown into the plot, like Nazis, time travel and aliens. What's a good story without them?

It didn't always feel like this was a different Doctor during the novel. This is most likely due to the fact we've only seen so few of him, that I wouldn't know how to describe him except that he's older than the last few Doctors. I'm sure this will all be solved after the new series starts. I still don't like Clara, but that's not the fault of the book.

Overall, it was an enjoyable read, but perhaps a bit too bizarre for me at times. It still read as an episode from the series, which I think is precisely what one wants when reading these books. For my little Doctor Who project I've got two more books that will be read in the coming week(s): The Blood Cell and Silhouette. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Dr. Who lovers will love to read when the show is not on the air. Enjoyable! ( )
  weisser4 | May 3, 2016 |
A quiet English village set in the present day is re-visited by the monsters of WWII. (Yet another book which mentions Alan Turing and his exemplary code-breaking skills by the way.) The Doctor and Clara land in Ringstone but they initially think that they've arrived at the wrong point in time...that is until they see the dead body caught in a giant spider's web. What exactly is going on in this little town that could create larger-than-life insects and arachnids? It might take more than just a bit of cleverness to work this one out (in fact it might take a little bit of time travel). If you're scared of bugs then I would recommend you stay far away from this one. :-D ( )
  AliceaP | Jan 20, 2016 |
This book has almost everything I like in a lighter SF story. Fearsome gigantic insects? Check. Mysterious nazi experiments? Check. On the top of that the twelfth Doctor and Clara. The best of the latter Who books. ( )
  TheCrow2 | Nov 25, 2015 |
Doctor Who vs giant insects and arachnids. Efficient. ( )
  JonArnold | Nov 24, 2015 |
For Karen

"Well, I doubt you'll ever see a bigger insect."

Gabby Nichols is putting her son to bed when she hears her daughter cry out. 'Mummy there's a daddy longlegs in my room!' Then the screaming starts... Alan Travers is heading home from the pub when something rushes his face - a  spider's web. Then something huge and deadly lumbers from the shadows... Kevin Alperton is on his way to school when he is attacked by a mosquito. A big one. Then things get dangerous.

But it isn't the dead man cocooned inside a huge mass of web that worries the Doctor. It isn't the swarming, mutated insects that make him nervous. It isn't an old man's garbled memories of past dangers that intrigue him.

With the village cut off from the outside world, and the insects becoming more and more dangerous, the Doctor knows that no one is safe. Not unless he can decode the strange symbols engraved on an ancient stone circle, and unravel a mystery dating back to the Second World War.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:38 -0400)

"Gabby Nichols is putting her son to bed when she hears her daughter cry out. 'Mummy there's a daddy longlegs in my room!' Then the screaming starts... Alan Travers is heading home from the pub when something rushes his face - a spider's web. Then something huge and deadly lumbers from the shadows... Kevin Alperton is on his way to school when he is attacked by a mosquito. A big one. Then things get dangerous."--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible