Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor Volume 1-…

Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor Volume 1- After Life

by Al Ewing, Rob Williams (Author)

The first set of Eleventh Doctor comic adventures introduce a new companion (between the Ponds and Clara), Alice Obiefune. I immediately love Alice, because she's:

1. a library assistance, and her job skills are shown as valuable on adventures with the Doctor.

2. she's a character who is depicted as grieving and depressed, and her storyline is handled accurately and sympathetically.

3. she stands up to the Doctor's condescending ways and challenges his assumptions.

There adventures include picking up another companion, John Jones, who is a thinly veiled David Bowie from the late 60s before he becomes famous. Basically he's there for running Bowie gags while the focus remains on Alice as companion. They also visit with Robert Johnson in 1930s Louisiana, who happens to already be acquainted with the Doctor. But the main conflict in various places in space and time is standing up to the evil SERVEYOUinc, and not always meeting their agents in chronological order.

The Eleventh Doctor comics are refreshing and fun, and I hope keep up the good work, because the Tenth Doctor comics kind of became as slog. ( )
  Othemts | Jan 29, 2019 |
Great to read with Jackson!! Less "scary" than the show! ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
Surely I would have gotten started on Doctor Who if I didn't have kids making me watch it, right? Sometimes I just feel appallingly out of it. But not when I'm reading or watching the Doctor; then I feel out of it in an amusingly clueless way. Sure, bowties and fezzes are cool. How does anyone ever survive their own parents?

Library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
Even though Matt Smith is no longer the Doctor on the television show, this graphic novel series is a great way to have even more adventures with him as the Doctor! ( )
  amyghilton | Jul 27, 2016 |
Unfortunately, I did not enjoy this volume nearly as much as I did the first volume for Ten. This one isn't necessarily bad, it just didn't seem to hit its stride for me. Eleven is written well, and I could easily hear his voice in my head the entire time, but he looked more or less like a caricature of himself thru most of volume. Including an underlying mystery that was present thru the first five issues was a nice touch and a nice nod to the television series, however, it felt way too rushed (although that may have simply been a result of reading all five issues in one sitting, without having the month in between the issues when they were being originally released).

While I enjoyed Ten's volume so much more, this was still a fun read, and I'll definitely be picking up the subsequent volumes and follow along with Eleven on his future adventures. ( )
  tapestry100 | Jul 13, 2015 |

Ewing, AlAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, RobAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cook, BooIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fraser, SimonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A new companion joins the Doctor on his adventures.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,795,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible