Iron cage. by Andre Norton

Iron cage. (original 1974; edition 1974)

by Andre Norton

Member:arethusarose
Title:Iron cage.
Authors:Andre Norton
Info:New York, Viking Press, 1974. 185p

Iron Cage by Andre Norton (Author) (1974)

Andre Norton is one of my favorite Science Fiction Authors. The Iron Cage is one of her books that I had not previously read. It is very well written and speaks to being able to live with our environment and other living things instead of destroying for our own gain. As always I really enjoyed the story. ( )
  marysneedle | Apr 16, 2013 |
This one is a little slow and hard going for a Norton, but it has more meat and philosophy in it than her usual book as well.
Once the story gets going, it becomes the usual fast, exciting read. ( )
  dragonasbreath | Mar 19, 2011 |

Norton, AndreAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mikolaycak, CharlesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waldman, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

There was a time when many animals, including man, needed each other to survive the onslaughts of raging elements in a hostile world. Their affinity must have been very deep, involving senses and abilities long lost.

We have a tendency to patronize animals, to limit their abilities, to compare adversely their physical forms, minds, and lives with hour high estate. But animals live in realms of their own, realms totally different and far older than ours. They dwell within the earth, in jungles and desert, in seas and the skies. they possess sense, and extensions of senses, we have lost or never attained. they see sights we shall never see. they hear sounds we shall never hear. they respond to terrestrial and cosmic rhythms and cycles that we have never charted.

If man could remove hate and fear from his heart, then might this fundamental bond of affinity and affection bring beneficent cooperation between all the Kingdoms of Life

Vincent and Margaret Gaddis
The Strange world of Animals and Pets
"What are you going to do with the cat?" (prologue)
"This is the maun female? ..."

Thousands of years in the future, a simple tribe of intelligent animals wanders the earth with a young boy, Jony, in their care, until the landing of a spaceship shatters their peaceful lives.

Using his wits against sophisticated weapons, Jony defends the People--the gentle tribe of animals--and face the conflict of his allegiance to his protectors and his need to be among his own kind.

With ironic understatement, the author points out the foolish and even dangerous distinctions we draw between humans and animals.
    ==========================
    On a far planet, half the galaxy from Earth
The People had saved and raised the three children after they were abandoned on the frontier planet.
The People, an intelligent race of animals, adopted them into the warm safety of their primitive but happy lives despite their ingrained hatred of humans...

And then the Terran scoutship landed, forcing Jony, his brother, and sister into the middle of a conflict between their own race, who held their instinctive allegiance, and the People, the only family they ever had.
    ------------------------------------

Jony spoke directly to the spacemen. "Now listen very carefully, both of you. I think this whole lab should be smashed. I don't like cages, and I don't like people who hurt my friends. Do you understand that?"

"We weren't hurting them - we were testing ..." one of the Terrans returned.

"I have seen what happens to lab 'animals.' You believe those People are animals, don't you?" He bore in fiercely.

"But," protested the other human, "we have no intention of touching you or the children. Ask her - " he indicated Maba, "Whether she has not been well treated.

"I don't doubt it in the least," Jony returned. "You accepted her as one of your own kind. But we do not accept you as one of us! We are of the People - " he motioned towards Yaa and Voak.

"You are human stock," the spacemen said hotly.

Jony replied firmly, "We are of the People."

A young boy who has been in the care of a simple tribe of intelligent animals he calls "The People" has to decide between his loyalty to them and his need to be among his own kind.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,118,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible