The Saxon Bride (The Norman Conquest Series)…

The Saxon Bride (The Norman Conquest Series) (Volume 1)

by Ashley York

John is a Norman who is given a young Saxon bride by William the Conqueror. Rowena's family has been destroyed by the Norman invasion of England and she is unprepared to marry the Norman knight, no matter how handsome he is. John leaves right after the ceremony to fight for his king for the next three years, leaving his virgin bride behind.
John finally shows back up to do his duty, but Rowena is unhappy. Meanwhile, John must win over the conquered Saxons and appease his bride. There are a lot of misunderstandings before all is resolved.
The story is well-written and I enjoy books set in this period. And while it is true that knights were often away for long periods of time in this era, I found it made me wonder just how in love John and Rowena could actually be. They spent very little time together to actually get to know each other. It made the lust understandable, but I would have liked to have seen more actual dialogue between the two main characters.
I would rate this 3 1/2 stars because of that, but this is still a good story and I'll read more in the series. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Oct 16, 2016 |
Oh, my, oh, my... Well, if the first book of Ashley York's hadn't already made me a fan, I can assure you now, this one did!

The Saxon Bride tells the story of Rowena Godwinson and John of Normandy. Those two seemingly unmatched people are forced to marry each other for the sake of peace and unity, and it's a far cry from what they both want. Rowena hates that she has to marry for duty and not love, especially to a man whose people killed her family. And John dreads the very moment his feisty wife will find out he was the one who took her father's life. Will the newlywed couple be able to co-exist and find love on the way? Or will they let their prejudice and the enemies piling on around them tear them apart?

I must say, though the first book I read from Mrs. York was one of a kind, this one didn't disappoint either. It's hard to love an author's books after having read the first one that got you hooked in the first place, but in some rare cases, it works - and it's then that you know that it wasn't a fluke, that the author in question really has talent on their side.

John and Rowena were wonderful, complex characters, that kept trying to make things right with the cards that life had dealt them, despite everyone betting against them. They were both at fault most of the times they had a fight, both of them instantly jumping to assumptions and both of them really short-tempered. But I think that's what made their dynamic work as a couple, and that's what made them interesting - be it as individuals or as a pair. See, they were not perfect. They kept making mistakes, and yet they kept trying to fix them. It didn't always work, but that added to the realism of their romance and brought on so many plot twists, my head actually spinned at some point.

Not only that, but the plot itself was complimenting their personalities, too. I think that's something Mrs. York is a natural at. She doesn't look like she's creating characters to fit her story. It's almost like she has the characters in her mind, and builds the whole story around them, without missing out on the secondary ones, of course. And when I say secondary characters, I'm talking a whole bunch of them. All fleshed out in detail, and never once mere fodder for the pace to go on. Each one of the characters - even animals - has a purpose, a past, life and breath of their own.

Can you doubt a writer's talent when they can work with a whole crowd so expertly? I know I don't.

I can't wait to read Peter's story next. I was instantly attracted to the guy, and I'm sure glad he got his own book!

***I was given an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinion stated in this review is solely mine, and no compensation was given or taken to alter it.*** ( )
  Lydia_Perversius | May 10, 2015 |
THE SAXON BRIDE by Ashley York is an exciting Historical Romance set in 1071-1074 England. #1 in "The Norman Conquest" and what a beginning! WOW! A Norman Knight and a Saxon Bride what an intriguing as well as emotional tale! Adventurous, dangerous and passionate. A very intriguing read! I read this fast paced, action packed tale in one setting. The characters jump off the page. The storyline is realistic, you could almost feel the tension between the Saxons and the Normans. Ms. York is a wonderful storyteller. I would highly recommend this awesome Medieval tale of love, romance,danger, and a new beginning. It has some very tragic consequences as well as the power of love and trust. I can't wait to read the others in this series. Bring them on! An absolute delight to read. Powerful,suspenseful and intriguing! A page turner to be sure!

*Received for an honest review from the publisher and Net Galley*

Rating: 4.5
Heat rating: hot
Reviewed by: AprilR, courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Aug 25, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,812,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible