Liesmith: Book 1 of The Wyrd by Alis…

Liesmith: Book 1 of The Wyrd (2014)

by Alis Franklin

Series: The Wyrd (1)

Hard to categorise, this novel deals with a 21st century IT geek called Sigmund and his involvement in a war between Loki and Balder, the Norse gods.

The premise is that, following Ragnarok, Balder is out for revenge against Loki who takes various forms in this book. Sigmund gets caught up in this war along with his nerdy friends. Various fights ensue in the Australian city of Pandemonium and in Norse mythological worlds.

The plot is slightly confusing, not helped by a writing style which I did not appreciate. All is happily resolved in the end but this is the first volume of a series so I imagine that there is more to come.

Not particularly well-written in my opinion, the novel does not leave me wanting more so I shall abstain from the rest of the series.
  PaulAllard | Dec 9, 2015 |
Billed as "queer urban fantasy". There is some spiel at the end about what the author wished to achieve in her novel & I agree she did what she set out to do.
It was okay but I really couldn't get into it. My favourite character was Boots. I didn't like when the narrative got interrupted with (comment) all the time either. Bouncing around events in time was also confusing.
I think in the end Odin lives. Baldar & Loki are dead. I think. ( )
  timidmagick | Nov 7, 2014 |
I love reading novels about other cultures so when I saw that LieSmith by Alis Franklin not only took place in Australia but contained mythopoeic fantasy, a dash of dot-com, and bits of horror, I couldn’t resist it for a Halloween month read. Maybe I was just in an oddball kind of mood that day. Who knows? What I didn’t realize was that it also contains an LGBT thread. Needless to say, there’s a lot packed into one book but Alis makes it work beautifully. It’s funny, gross, scary, moves at lightning speed and it’s a very entertaining yet touching read. Sound interesting? Read the rest of my review at http://popcornreads.com/?p=7777. ( )
  PopcornReads | Oct 8, 2014 |
Liesmith is a treat for a lot of reasons. First, Alis Franklin makes good sentences, a quality I greatly appreciate. Then we have our hero Sigmund Sussman, who is not a hero, more of a nebbishy nerd, but really an all around good guy. We have Sigmund's boyfriend, Loki the Norse god – or is he really??? And a cast of characters who satisfy the story's needs quite well. All in all a well rounded novel that just happens to be set in Australia and be queer-themed SF. I mention the Australian connection especially because so many recent books set in Australia seem to revolve around the crude, alcohol-fueled, loutish parts of Antipodal culture. There is none of that here, which is wonderful.

The main thing to focus on is the quality of Alis Franklin's sentences, some of which are really super. If I lifted them out of context here in this review they might not evoke wonder in you so buy this book and read them yourself. WOW!

I received a review copy of Liesmith by Alis Franklin (Random House – Hydra) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Oct 8, 2014 |
Free review copy. Loki Laufeysson is alive and living in Australia as a computer mogul, where he meets Sigmund, a classic pasty nerd half-heartedly trying to program a game with his friends as he ekes out a living as an IT drone. Except Sigmund is also the reincarnation of Loki’s wife Sigyn, and when they meet, the barriers between who Sigmund was and who he is start breaking down. The worldbuilding is inventive and Sigmund’s discovery of the fluidity of his sexuality is entertaining. I have to admit, I have no idea what happened in the end, although it’s possible I’d have understood better if I were more up on my Norse mythology. Still, it was a fun queer urban fantasy that you’ll probably enjoy if you like the idea of modern-day Loki who just wants to be left alone by the rest of the gods. ( )
  rivkat | Sep 19, 2014 |

At the intersection of the magical and the mundane, Alis Franklin's thrilling debut novel reimagines mythology for a modern world'where gods and mortals walk side by side. Working in low-level IT support for a company that's the toast of the tech world, Sigmund Sussman finds himself content, if not particularly inspired. As compensation for telling people to restart their computer a few times a day, Sigmund earns enough disposable income to gorge on comics and has plenty of free time to devote to his gaming group. Then in walks the new guy with the unpronounceable last name who immediately becomes IT's most popular team member. Lain Laufeyjarson is charming and good-looking, with a story for any occasion; shy, awkward Sigmund is none of those things, which is why he finds it odd when Lain flirts with him. But Lain seems cool, even if he's a little different'though Sigmund never suspects just how different he could be. After all, who would expect a Norse god to be doing server reboots' As Sigmund gets to know his mysterious new boyfriend, fate'in the form of an ancient force known as the Wyrd'begins to reveal the threads that weave their lives together. Sigmund doesn't have the first clue where this adventure will take him, but as Lain says, only fools mess with the Wyrd. Why' Because the Wyrd messes back.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,484,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible