Witch Lights: Book Two of the Blackwater…

Witch Lights: Book Two of the Blackwater Lights Trilogy

by Michael M. Hughes

322,001,085 (4)None
Recently added byjkrzok, Archivist13, RandyStafford

While I liked Blackwater Lights, I liked this novel even more.

Two years after the events of that novel, our hero Ray is hiding out in Guatemala with his wife Ellen and her son William. The very powerful, very connected cult they fled at the end of the first novel is still looking for Ray, hoping to tap into his powers to summon dark, extraterrestrial entities. Its very beautiful (even if she reminds her prey of an insect), very seductive leader Lily is in charge now.

Another almost as well-connected group, the Brotherhood, is helping Ray’s family in their fugitive life in Central America. The strain of maintaining disguise and not knowing the language well is telling on Ray and Ellen’s relationship. So, they break the rules and go out with William to a local carnival one afternoon.

And, as they find out, there was a good reason for those rules. Gunmen snatch Ellen and William, and Ray barely escapes.

But it’s not Lily who’s got them this time. It’s El Varón, a narco lord who makes Pablo Escabar look like “my high school weed dealer” according to Mantu, Ray’s friend and protector.

El Varón is a bruja, a practioneer of an old, bloody, pre-Columbian religion and has plans for Ellen.

The bodies, souls, and allegiances of all the good people suffer in this book. Mantu reveals his own back story with the Brotherhood and how he doesn’t, since a change of leadership, trust it. That’s why he disobeys orders to help Ray retrieve Ellen and William.

In this novel, Ellen joins Ray as a viewpoint character, and those scenes in El Varón’s compound have real menace and suspense. Add to that the inventive magical-technological Lily launches against Ray and what he must do to counter it, some shocking offstage revelations, and you have a story that moves fast and efficiently.

Maybe too efficiently since the presence of one character is not sufficiently justified nor his story surprising.

Still, I’m pretty curious how Hughes is going wrap his story up. ( )
1 vote RandyStafford | Nov 17, 2016 |
Before I review this Paranormal Thriller, I have to admit that I did not read volume one of the Blackwater Lights Trilogy, mainly because I did not realize it was the 2nd book of a trilogy. I was wondering why I wasn’t catching on to a good portion of the allusions to past events. I was actually thinking that this story is good, but it seems disjointed. Still, the action, and the fantastical elements of witchcraft and shape shifting drug lords, along with some expertly crafted characters kept me going to the end, until the story ended on in an abrupt cliff hanger. That kind of made me mad. “This is how you end a book?” I screamed!!!! Nooooo!!!!! Not acceptable. What happened to the kid? why did they blow the girls ex-husband’s brains out?

I went back to the Netgalley page for the book, and there in plainly legible English, it stated that this is book 2 of a trilogy. With that information in mind, I will say this: Read book 1 of the Blackwater Lights Trilogy, it will explain a great deal of what goes on in #2, and when you are finished reading Witch Lights, like me, you will be clamoring to read book 3. Even without having read the first volume, I was enthralled with this story of Latin-American gangsters ruled by sharp dressed drug kingpins who happen to be able to turn into bats. There are ancient deities that put Satan to shame, and enough violence to curdle one’s blood. In addition, the dialogue is entertaining and at times very funny. But the ending. The ending will piss you off-it just ends at the most intense instant of the story. A real cliff-hanger. Well played sir.

Read review on The Thugbrarian Review
http://thugbrarianreview.wordpress.co... ( )
  Archivist13 | Oct 14, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,583,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible