Chain of Events: A Novel by Fredrik T Olsson

Chain of Events: A Novel (2014)

by Fredrik T Olsson

0.00
  johnrid11 | Feb 14, 2016 |
Reviewed for Reviewing the Evidence. It's a slick and well-executed thriller with a completely preposterous storyline that, for me, was a frustrating waste of my time and the author's talent.
  bfister | Dec 26, 2014 |
The Story

We all knew that it would come to this, but we didn't expect it to happen so soon. The Organisation have been toiling over the operation for years, with each passing day showing no sign of improvement over the situation.

From the day they made the discovery, they knew they had to do everything possible to try and reverse what was destined for humankind. They've kidnapped, murdered, tricked and planned - nothing is above them, for it is all for the greater good of the race as a whole, is it not?

Yet, no one expected it to come down to these two, brilliant, yet unmotivated individuals. Sure, they are the best in their field, but they constantly fight the system, maybe because they were brought against their will, but surely they agree that it is the only option, to save us all -a few must suffer.

Then it happened, the outbreak. We had seen it's affects, on those we had run tests on, and even on our own - when mistakes happened. We didn't expect her to break protocol, leaving the contamination to spread like wildfire throughout Amsterdam. Now it's only a matter of time until it is out of control. We may be too late already. The two haven't had enough time. They need to be able to work out the code, in order to save us. They need motivation. We need safety. We need more time.

Or is it already too late?

The future was always written, but will we end up being our own worst enemy?

What chance have we got against something that can't be beaten?

There are two. They are left alone in the Organisation and we all need them. Need them to save us and find the key.

What I Thought

I can easily see why this book was snatched up, in order to be made into a film! It is so good. Each page is action-packed, filled with enough detail and thrill to wind you up so much the anticipation could set you off like a top.

I found it very hard to put this book down. I HAD to know the next detail. What were the two going to do? Was it all a hoax? Where they working for the good guys? What on earth was happening!!!

My mind was racing through each paragraph, wondering and guessing at what may be happening, only to find that I was blown away again by the realisation of where the story was going.

I found that the pace was excellent. It moved swiftly enough to give you a good edge, as any good thriller should do. Yet, it still gave way to enough time for details to be put into place. The author also took the time to build emotions and characters, by involving personal disasters and details. The characters also had a brilliant amount of depth, and we even found ourselves delving into their past, to discover why they behaved in some of the ways they do.

The layout of the story was perfect, keep you involved in both the details of the organisation and the outside world. It gave you a great level of perspective and kept you involved in the timeframe. Plus, there were great little events that still tied the Organisation and the world together, keeping the two intertwined, in more than just outcome.

I also liked the mentality and reasoning behind both the story and the thought processes of the main characters. The level of detail and, therefore, believability was very high.

OVERALL: I loved this book. It is set to be made into a major film, but i would highly highly recommend reading this book before seeing it on film. (still do both, trust me) However, I feel that the level of detail and excellent writing style mean that this book will far outweigh the film, in brilliance. I would recommend this to anyone, age 16 and over, in my opinion, who likes a good thriller, especially if you are into Michael Chrichton and the likes. You won't regret this read. ( )
  naturalbri | Oct 1, 2014 |

Fredrik T Olssonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nurmi, AnneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

William Sandberg, once a well-respected military cryptologist pursuing cutting-edge research, is a ruined man. His career is in shambles, his marriage is over, and he's succumbed to a dark depression. But William's talents haven't gone unnoticed. A nameless, top-secret organization abducts him and tasks him with a daunting mission: decode a message that will reveal the disastrous prophecies hidden in our DNA before it is too late.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,329,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible