Smoke and Mirrors by Lillian T. MacGowan

Smoke and Mirrors

by Lillian T. MacGowan

312,001,085 (5)None
Recently added bygigi9988776

Ding ding ding ding! And we have a winner! Ridiculously hot, emotional sex anyway-you-like-it between an emotional basket case of a Firefighter and an even bigger emotional basket case of a ER Surgeon. I was fucking BLOWN AWAY by the level of intimacy between these MCs. It seriously rivals my favorite (as of right now. I change my mind daily.) M/M romance book [b:The Final Line|17927956|The Final Line (Recon Diaries #3)|Kendall McKenna|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1368677485s/17927956.jpg|25128039]'s sex scene status. Emotional hurt/healing/comfort doesn't get much better than this.

After reading the blurb for this book, I wasn't really sure what I was getting myself into. But the fact that I'll read just about anything, good or bad, within the firefighter genre had me buying this one and giving it a try. I was lost/clueless during the first 20% of the book and really not at all sure where the author was taking us, but things started to clear up quite a bit at around 25%. I now believe the author meant to be vague in the blurb to keep some of the past emotional traumas a secret until she was ready to reveal them for some extra punch. (Um, it worked! Both of these boys have suffered greatly and deserved a bit of sunshine.) What I can tell you is that this story is about a doctor, Dr. Naim Moreau, who is very much a loner and has not been in a relationship in many years. His only friends are a few people he works with at the hospital and he has no family. The other MC in the story is a big, buff Firefighter named Frank “Deck” Dekker, who is much more social and has many friends, but prefers his sexual relationships to be casual and has no desire to "settle down". He also has no family. The two men meet the night Nain's non-profit medical clinic in a seedy part of town catches fire and Naim helps Deck save an old man, sacrificing himself. Deck refuses to let Naim die, so he runs back into the building to rescue him, against orders. He successfully saves Naim, but ends up being impaled through the chest by a pipe during his act of heroism. Naim returns to favor of saving Deck's life by removing the pipe in the ER. And so the story of these two men getting to know one another and falling in love begins...

Yes, this is a love story. I don't know what else to call it. It's a long, slow road, because these boys are very, very damaged, but they spark right away and know they are meant to be together. It is lovely to witness.

This book is not without it's flaws. I absolutely hated the way the "friends" of the MCs and all secondary characters treated one another and Deck and Naim. And how Deck and Naim eventually talked to one another once they were more comfortable together. The ribbing and cussing was merciless and just so incredibly unnecessary to the point of bugging the shit out of me! Want an example?
The first thing Deck became aware of as he woke was someone smacking him in the head. Hard.

“Waking up now, you stupid fuck?” Smack. “Huh? Are you awake?” Smack. “You dumbass, shit-eating, half-wit motherfucker.” SMACK.

“Fucking Christ, Freya. Knock it off.” Deck heard Peyton and silently thanked him, still struggling to open his eyes. Everything hurt, his head was too big, and he couldn't focus on Freya as she glared at him, nose to nose.

He groaned.

Freya finally backed off, stood up straight, and glared at him harder as he blinked, still trying to focus. “You stupid son of a bitch. Get the fuck out of that bed right now, so I can kick the shit outta you.”

That's the author's idea of affection and banter between friends. It drove me nuts. I also thought the book was a bit too long. It seemed to drag towards the end and I was rather bored when they weren't in bed. (The sex was that good.)

This is definitely a book I would LOVE to see have a sequel, despite it's minor shortcomings. I want to see these two men years later and find out how they are doing. We didn't have an epilogue so maybe a little holiday short? Pretty please?

I'm not going to be able to put this on the fuck yeah! shelf because of the flaws, but this is definitely a 5 star book and is also on my favorites shelf. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it for M/M romance fans who especially enjoy intense, emotional HOT-AS-FUCK sex and crazy-good emotional hurt/healing/comfort. I hope you love it as much as I did!

gigi9988776 | Aug 25, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible