Guarded by Kim Fielding

Guarded

by Kim Fielding

I really liked this story. Very well written and interesting - read it in one breath!

NannyOgg13 | May 26, 2018 |
Can you imagine what it's like to fall in love with a man who hates you? Not because of anything you did, but because your father was a member of the enemy's people? Volos, a guard for the Wedey king's forces, knows exactly what this feels like. And while I can't for the life of me understand why he loves the bastard of a prince, who is nothing but rude and cruel to him for years, I do have to admit it makes for a pretty solid enemies-to-lovers story. Make no mistake, this is a dark and violent tale, with some brutal violence (including rape and torture both remembered and happening on page), but it fits the world the author has created and the characters who inhabit it. It also makes this a fascinating story that pulled me in because I absolutely had to know if Volos gets his happy end.

Volos is a great guy. A strong soldier who has suffered much at the hand of the Kozari, his father's people, when he was a prisoner of war after fighting for the Wedey in his adopted people's army, he has the misfortune of falling for Prince Berhanu. He suffers the mistreatment quietly, never even daring to hope it will change. And then the prince goes on a secret diplomatic mission and is captured by the Kozari - and Volos is the only one who can save him. Despite the danger of the mission, he doesn't even think about it.

Prince Berhanu is an odd man to say the very least. Yes, he may think he has reason to hate the Kozari, but so do his father and elder brother, the crown prince. Neither of them behave as idiotically stupid and mean as he does. Even after the rescue he is gruff and unapproachable, but at least he manages to thank Volos for risking his life to free him. He is a very slow man to thaw, though, and has some very weird ideas about how to treat a lover. He does, in the end, explain it all, but I still think he's slightly weird.

If you like dark stories about faraway made-up countries trying to recover from past mistakes, if you want to read about two men who love each other deeply but, out of sheer stubbornness, cannot figure out how to actually talk to each other, and if you're looking for a read that is as violent as it is fascinating, then you will probably enjoy this novella. Just - approach with caution! ( )
  SerenaYates | Oct 19, 2017 |
This was hot as fire and a great tale of old world royalty, honor and nobility. And, or course, love and romance. 5 stars, definitely one of my favorites of the 2014 Love's Landscapes additions. ( )
  gigi9988776 | Aug 25, 2014 |

Kim Fieldingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tremblay, GregNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,144,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible