The River Is Dark by Joe Hart

The River Is Dark

by Joe Hart

1 / 5

DNF at 60%

I just couldn't connect to the plot, the writing, or the characters. It started to feel like a chore to read, and I don't like feeling that way, so I'm throwing it on my DNF shelf. ( )
  daydreamofalife | Aug 5, 2017 |
Had some great moments, and descriptive sections. I wanted to hear more about the antagonist, he deserved a bigger role, it could have made the story creepier. ( )
  kerbytejas | Mar 25, 2016 |
The River Is Dark by Joe Hart is a highly recommended, fast paced thriller that will hold your attention right to the end.

The opening scene is of a frightened young boy trying to escape from a murderer. Then the action focuses on Liam Dempsey. Liam has just learned that his brother, Allen, and sister-in-law, Suzie, have been brutally murdered in the small town of Tollston, Minnesota where his physician brother had his medical practice. What he doesn't know until he arrives in Tollston is that another couple, who just happened to be best friends of his brother, was murdered that same week. A young boy has survived, but is in a coma.

The homeless man called Nut told Liam, “Wasn’t two weeks ago Jerry and Karen Shevlin were found the same way as the ones last night. Their boy was luckier, but not by much. Lost an arm from the elbow down and hasn’t woke up yet. Poor little bugger, he can’t be more’n ten or eleven.”
Liam set his cup down and turned to fully face the man. “You’re telling me there was a double murder here last week?”

While law enforcement won't specifically say that the two murders are related, clearly they are - but there doesn't seem to be a sinister connection between the two couples that would give anyone a reason to murder them. Liam was previously a homicide detective for the Minneapolis police department, so he inserts himself into the investigation after he is questioned as a suspect. Liam also renews his acquaintance with Dani, a friend of his sister-in-law. Dani and Liam begin to work together, with some assistance from the local sheriff. From their investigation, Liam has good reasons to believe that more people might be in danger.

The River Is Dark sets a furious pace and leaps along to the end. It is well written and a perfect choice for anyone looking for that fast-paced thriller with gory details and a plot that moves at break-neck speed to the end. While there aren't many rabbit trails and false leads to spread the action out, the conclusion is nicely done. Most readers will connect with Liam as a character and want him to succeed.

This is a re-release of a previously published edition.

Disclosure: My Kindle edition was courtesy of Thomas & Mercer for review purposes. ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
former homicide detective Liam Dempsey... small town along the Mississippi River...
two identical murder scenes...revenge?

I quickly grabbed this thinking it was by John Hart...might have been a Kindle first.
Whoa!!...instead Joe Hart offers horror of a chain saw massacre type.
Not really my style of thriller, but I'm sure he has a following, since 8 novels are listed.
I'm not rating this since I'm not usually in this sub genre.
It wouldn't be fair.

I did enjoy the sort of scary author photo at Amazon.
  pennsylady | Mar 7, 2016 |
An interesting story. Wasn't quite sure what to expect as I have never read anything by this author before. I will definitely read more of his books! I received a copy of this ARC through NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion. ( )
  Debra_Burge | Apr 24, 2015 |

In a small town along the Mississippi River, separate but nearly identical attacks have left two married couples brutally murdered in their homes. Enter former homicide detective Liam Dempsey, whose estranged brother fell victim to the killer. Dragged into the investigation as a suspect, Dempsey vows to solve the case and clear his name. As the ex-cop tries to pull justice from the town's emotional wreckage, he realizes that his could be the next life lost to the killer's ruthless, twisted plan for revenge --p. [4] of cover… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,740,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible