The Broken String by Diane Chamberlain

The Broken String

by Diane Chamberlain

read this quick little novella well after reading "the silent sister". Sometimes I am a little detached reading little novellas, you don't really have that much time to get involved with the characters but I really enjoyed this little glimpse of Danny and Riley's relationship as children. It's sad how we sometimes lose sight of the importance of family, sometimes we need a reminder. Diane chamberlain is one of my favourite authors and always tells a great story. ( )
  maggie1961 | May 5, 2015 |
Diane Chamberlain’s intriguing THE BROKEN STRING, an e-short story novella and prequel to her exciting drama of family secrets in her upcoming book, THE SILENT SISTER.(Oct).

As seventeen year old Riley MacPherson travels by plane alone, to visit her older brother, Danny who has suffered injuries in Iraq, she flashes back with fond memories of her childhood, a time when her brother had always been there for her to protect her from life’s messiness.

Her mom, is sad and haunted. Her dad, distant and obsessed with collections and things, leaving two children without a warm and caring family atmosphere. Due to a suicide tragedy by their child prodigy and famous violinist daughter, Lisa, when she was seventeen. No one talks about her-- where secrets are dark and voices, silent.

Riley has no recollection of her older sister as she was only a baby. She recalls a time, when she was just a little girl, when she longed for her mom's smile, trying desperately to share in the happy place where memories were pure and happy, but she lacked the key to this door and had no clue where to look. An old photograph with the girl and the violin--her mom looked happy.

Riley always looked up to her older brother, who was always there to protect her, and she thought that his strength and confidence was a good thing. However, she has no idea it is the beginning of a defiance that would later rule him.

Her memories are a long string of events that bound her brother to her. Somehow though, that string had been broken –the anger that had been a part of him took over, finally pushing her away, as well as their parents. She longs to be there for him, as he has been for her, when they were children.

Fortunately, I had the opportunity of reading an ARC of THE SILENT SISTER (5 stars), by the publisher, and Diane once again delivers a riveting and suspense page turner. She skillfully crafts a complex family drama mystery, with multi-generational rich characters.

I wanted to go back and read the novella, rewinding to a time earlier to hear from Riley, before the setting of THE SILENT SISTER where we connect with Riley and Danny, years later after their parent’s death, when the secrets begin to unravel.

Highly recommend both THE BROKEN STRING and THE SILENT SISTER a moving story of a family tragedy, and the desperate attempt to pick up the pieces.

JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
Short stories are always too quick for me. Seriously, I needed another 50pgs or so but I guess I'll get that when the The Silent Sister comes out as this was only meant to be a teaser anyhow. I thought the story was good. I love Diane Chamberlain. Can't wait to read The Silent Sister. ( )
  Sharn | Nov 4, 2014 |

Some secrets need to be told . . . As a child, Riley always suspected there was a secret her parents and brother protected her from, a secret that ruined the bond between her and her brother and threatened to tear her family apart. Now seventeen years old, Riley is flying out to visit her brother Danny who has been wounded whilst fighting in Iraq. And she's is determined to find out what this secret is. But will uncovering the truth bring her and her brother together again and give her the answers she craves, or will it simply lead to more questions . . . The Broken String is perfect for fans of Liane Moriarty and Jodi Picoult.… (more)

Diane Chamberlain is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,417,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible