The Warden by Anthony Trollope

The Warden (original 1855; edition 1995)

by Anthony Trollope

2,9431001,953 (3.79)5 / 500
Member:LizzySiddal
Title:The Warden
Authors:Anthony Trollope
Info:London: The Folio Society, 1995 xxiv, 172p ill 23cm
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Folio Society, C19, fiction, anglophone

The Warden by Anthony Trollope (1855)

English (99)  French (1)  English (100)
Without being condescending, I believe modern readers might not be able to properly appreciate the writing qualities of writers such as Trollope. (If one takes Dickens, for example, it seems he is so well-known that people vacillate before giving him bad reviews; I love Dickens, by the way.) Since I was used to reading this kind of book when I was a teenager, his prose doesn't seem difficult or strange at all--even despite the fact that English is not my mother tongue. Then there is the manichaeistic quality of the story; if one considers how main characters are nowadays represented with almost overwhelming negative traits, some of Trollope's might seem like "do-gooders". This first volume of the Barsetshire Chronicles is absolutely fantastic, the characters catching and intriguing. The story has some very enjoyable satirical moments. (It seems Trollope believed one could also enjoy some good chuckles while reading good quality literature--to the reader's absolute advantage!) Characters' names could also be very evocative. Mr. Public Sentiment, a writer of inflammatory rhetoric whose newest novel was the “Almshouse”; Dr. Pessimist Anticant, a “Scotchman, who had passed a great portion of his early days in Germany” examining things and “their intrinsic worth and worthlessness”; Sir Abraham Haphazard, who “always sparkled,” “was a man to be sought for on great emergencies,” but had “no heat.” Trollope had a problem with the media then—which I can relate today. According to him “the public is defrauded when it is purposely misled. Poor public! how often it is misled! against what a world of fraud has it to contend!” And he correctly proclaimed that a newspaper article was nothing “but an expression of the views taken by one side?” True: “Ridiculum acri Fortius et melius magnas plerumque secat res.” He attacked journalists’ unaccountability in the person of the Jupiter’s journalist: “But to whom was he, Tom Towers, responsible?” Towers was “able and willing to guide all men in all things, so long as he is obeyed as autocrat should be obeyed.” The newspaper's evocative name, Jupiter, brings us to Mount Olympus (chapter XV) from where the gods—journalists—would be systematically dictating the opinions to be embraced by the mortals—the “poor public.” Fine humor, brilliant writing, definitely a must read. ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
The warden, Mr. Harding, was the administrator of a residence for poor, retired and elderly or disabled gentlemen from Barchester. He became embroiled in a dispute over the allocation of trust funds designated to finance the residence. Harding was written as the most honorable, honest and self-effacing man on earth, who was undone by a sanctimonious do-gooder and a muckraking newspaper. Amusing, perceptive, satirical and at times quite current-feeling, this book was very enjoyable. I also liked the narration of the audiobook by Simon Vance. I don't know why I have avoided Trollope for so long, but I intend to try more of them. ( )
  fhudnell | Aug 9, 2016 |
I fear this review may put me on the LT naughty step, but I didn't love this anywhere near as much as expected. When it eventually got going it became interesting enough, but for a short novel boy it took it's time. Perhaps it was the clerical setting that I found a little dull until I reached the actual cusp of the tale. Anyway, I felt like I was plodding through this novel for much of it, and actively looking forward to reaching the end so I could get on to my next book.

3.5 stars - ultimately a clever tale of consequences, but the diocese setting wasn't for me. ( )
  AlisonY | Jul 9, 2016 |
Not my cup of tea. I agree that Trollope is able to tell the stories of the English people, but it is a bit slow. Good for practicing speed reading! ( )
  deldevries | Jul 6, 2016 |
Review: The Warden by Anthony Trollope.

This is the first book I have read by Anthony Trollope on the Barchester’s Series. I believe there are twelve books in all and I believe this is the teaser of the series. I enjoyed the story of, “The Warden” with the various characters and their original stake in this series. All the characters were well developed, interesting and Trollope also captured the routine essence of life in one small corner of England.

The story is about a dispute that arises between the reorganizers of the Church of England, Mr. Bold and Mr. Towers who questions the rights of the warden, Mr. Harding being paid so much money and the use of the main house for doing so little. His pay came out of a trust fund bequest set up many years ago by a Mr. Hiram’s for a hospital, which is really a retirement home for twelve elders who cannot find refuge anywhere else because they are ailing and poor.

This becomes a great public scandal to where even the warden, Mr. Harding after some time questioned if he should be allotted the amount he was receiving and free rent while also having a daughter, Eleanor still living home and who was smitten by Mr. Bold the organizer…..

The story goes on through trials and tribulations of distress but Anthony Trollope seems to be headed in the right direction to create any events with these various characters or others in writing a sequel for his readers. I do have the second book and I’m looking forward to reading another one of his books.
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |

Shrimpton, NicholasIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Skilton, DavidIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, TimothyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Rev. Septimus Harding was, a few years since, a beneficed clergyman residing in the cathedral town of ---; let us call it Barchester.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192834088, Paperback)

The book centers on the character of Mr. Harding, a clergyman of great personal integrity, whose charitable income far exceeds the purpose for which it was intended. Young John Bold turns his reforming zeal to exposing what he considers to be an abuse of privilege, despite being in love with Mr. Harding's daughter Eleanor. The novel was highly topical as a case regarding the misapplication of church funds was the scandalous subject of contemporary debate. But Trollope uses this specific case to explore and illuminate the universal complexities of human motivation and social morality. This edition includes an introduction and notes by David Skilton and illustrations by Edward Ardizzone.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:49 -0400)

This novel centres on the character of Mr. Harding, a clergyman of great personal integrity, whose charitable income far exceeds the purpose for which it was intended. Young John Bold turns his reforming zeal to exposing what he considers to be an abuse of privilege, despite being in love with Mr. Harding's daughter Eleanor.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140432140, 0141198990

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,632,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible