The Warden by Anthony Trollope

The Warden (original 1855; edition 1995)

by Anthony Trollope

2,839952,051 (3.79)5 / 475
Member:LizzySiddal
Title:The Warden
Authors:Anthony Trollope
Info:London: The Folio Society, 1995 xxiv, 172p ill 23cm
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Folio Society, C19, fiction, anglophone

The Warden by Anthony Trollope (1855)

English (94)  French (1)  All languages (95)
A good story but this could have easily been a short story if the 'dear reader' asides and lectures were removed. Knowledge of the Church of England traditions and archaic language would be helpful. An audio book or an abridged version would suffice for anyone who is reading it simply to know the storyline of this classic. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
It seems nothing much has changed since Victorian times: the church can still spark dissension, the press will still fan the flames of controversy. While this book deals with finances related to an almshouse connected to the church, it is reminiscent of a more recent scandal of the church that became a similar tangled mess. Trollope managed the topic with great diplomacy: Reverend Harding is a sympathetic, lovable, man of integrity, while the appropriately-named Bold, strikes before thinking. Eleanor Harding is delightful, but I cannot condone her choice of love interest. Harding's visit to London was the most entertaining part of the story. Any traveller with time to kill in an unfamiliar place can sympathize.

I loved this book once again, and this time I will move on to the rest of Barsetshire Chronicles. ( )
  VivienneR | Mar 9, 2016 |
Ahh... Mr. Harding. One of the true good guys in all the history of literature. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Feb 3, 2016 |
I was inspired to read this after watching the BBC 'Barchester Chronicles'. It's one of the few books where I actually prefer the TV version. There's a lot of satire and humour but the writing is so long-winded that it's easy to miss. It took me three weeks to get through it - I did finish it, and it was worth reading, but I shan't bother with the others in the series. ( )
1 vote SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
It is hard to add much to the fine reviews that precede me. I loved the characterisations, and agree with other reviewers that this is what keeps you reading. I love the Warden and his violincello especially. For me it is also two other aspects: the almost 'car crash' quality of what is about to happen and it generally does. But also in many respects how modern such observations are. These situations aren't subject only to the time they were written in. You will still come across the worthier than thou who are prepared even to risk their friends in order to apply the letter of the law or strive for what appears to be right, without heed to what their actions may lead too. And who hasn't witnessed an occasion where someone aimed to secure an improved lot for someone else, which ultimately resulted in the reverse. So in 'The Warden' the twelve poor men in the hospital, all having had their greed stoked, end up poorer still, both financially and in regards to their quality of life. I'm sure that all manor of righteous bodies end up causing such outcomes. ( )
  Caroline_McElwee | Jan 9, 2016 |

Shrimpton, NicholasEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Skilton, DavidIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, TimothyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Rev. Septimus Harding was, a few years since, a beneficed clergyman residing in the cathedral town of ---; let us call it Barchester.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192834088, Paperback)

The book centers on the character of Mr. Harding, a clergyman of great personal integrity, whose charitable income far exceeds the purpose for which it was intended. Young John Bold turns his reforming zeal to exposing what he considers to be an abuse of privilege, despite being in love with Mr. Harding's daughter Eleanor. The novel was highly topical as a case regarding the misapplication of church funds was the scandalous subject of contemporary debate. But Trollope uses this specific case to explore and illuminate the universal complexities of human motivation and social morality. This edition includes an introduction and notes by David Skilton and illustrations by Edward Ardizzone.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:49 -0400)

This novel centres on the character of Mr. Harding, a clergyman of great personal integrity, whose charitable income far exceeds the purpose for which it was intended. Young John Bold turns his reforming zeal to exposing what he considers to be an abuse of privilege, despite being in love with Mr. Harding's daughter Eleanor.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140432140, 0141198990

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 1,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible