The Warden by Anthony Trollope

The Warden (original 1855; edition 1995)

by Anthony Trollope

2,882982,005 (3.79)5 / 489
Member:LizzySiddal
Title:The Warden
Authors:Anthony Trollope
Info:London: The Folio Society, 1995 xxiv, 172p ill 23cm
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Folio Society, C19, fiction, anglophone

The Warden by Anthony Trollope (1855)

English (97)  French (1)  All languages (98)
I fear this review may put me on the LT naughty step, but I didn't love this anywhere near as much as expected. When it eventually got going it became interesting enough, but for a short novel boy it took it's time. Perhaps it was the clerical setting that I found a little dull until I reached the actual cusp of the tale. Anyway, I felt like I was plodding through this novel for much of it, and actively looking forward to reaching the end so I could get on to my next book.

3.5 stars - ultimately a clever tale of consequences, but the diocese setting wasn't for me. ( )
  AlisonY | Jul 9, 2016 |
Not my cup of tea. I agree that Trollope is able to tell the stories of the English people, but it is a bit slow. Good for practicing speed reading! ( )
  deldevries | Jul 6, 2016 |
Review: The Warden by Anthony Trollope.

This is the first book I have read by Anthony Trollope on the Barchester’s Series. I believe there are twelve books in all and I believe this is the teaser of the series. I enjoyed the story of, “The Warden” with the various characters and their original stake in this series. All the characters were well developed, interesting and Trollope also captured the routine essence of life in one small corner of England.

The story is about a dispute that arises between the reorganizers of the Church of England, Mr. Bold and Mr. Towers who questions the rights of the warden, Mr. Harding being paid so much money and the use of the main house for doing so little. His pay came out of a trust fund bequest set up many years ago by a Mr. Hiram’s for a hospital, which is really a retirement home for twelve elders who cannot find refuge anywhere else because they are ailing and poor.

This becomes a great public scandal to where even the warden, Mr. Harding after some time questioned if he should be allotted the amount he was receiving and free rent while also having a daughter, Eleanor still living home and who was smitten by Mr. Bold the organizer…..

The story goes on through trials and tribulations of distress but Anthony Trollope seems to be headed in the right direction to create any events with these various characters or others in writing a sequel for his readers. I do have the second book and I’m looking forward to reading another one of his books.
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
A good story but this could have easily been a short story if the 'dear reader' asides and lectures were removed. Knowledge of the Church of England traditions and archaic language would be helpful. An audio book or an abridged version would suffice for anyone who is reading it simply to know the storyline of this classic. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
It seems nothing much has changed since Victorian times: the church can still spark dissension, the press will still fan the flames of controversy. While this book deals with finances related to an almshouse connected to the church, it is reminiscent of a more recent scandal of the church that became a similar tangled mess. Trollope managed the topic with great diplomacy: Reverend Harding is a sympathetic, lovable, man of integrity, while the appropriately-named Bold, strikes before thinking. Eleanor Harding is delightful, but I cannot condone her choice of love interest. Harding's visit to London was the most entertaining part of the story. Any traveller with time to kill in an unfamiliar place can sympathize.

I loved this book once again, and this time I will move on to the rest of Barsetshire Chronicles. ( )
  VivienneR | Mar 9, 2016 |

Shrimpton, NicholasIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Skilton, DavidIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, TimothyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Rev. Septimus Harding was, a few years since, a beneficed clergyman residing in the cathedral town of ---; let us call it Barchester.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192834088, Paperback)

The book centers on the character of Mr. Harding, a clergyman of great personal integrity, whose charitable income far exceeds the purpose for which it was intended. Young John Bold turns his reforming zeal to exposing what he considers to be an abuse of privilege, despite being in love with Mr. Harding's daughter Eleanor. The novel was highly topical as a case regarding the misapplication of church funds was the scandalous subject of contemporary debate. But Trollope uses this specific case to explore and illuminate the universal complexities of human motivation and social morality. This edition includes an introduction and notes by David Skilton and illustrations by Edward Ardizzone.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:49 -0400)

This novel centres on the character of Mr. Harding, a clergyman of great personal integrity, whose charitable income far exceeds the purpose for which it was intended. Young John Bold turns his reforming zeal to exposing what he considers to be an abuse of privilege, despite being in love with Mr. Harding's daughter Eleanor.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140432140, 0141198990

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,535,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible