Somebody Else's Kids: The True Story of Four…

Somebody Else's Kids: The True Story of Four Problem Children and One… (1981)

by Torey L. Hayden

English (6)  French (1)  All languages (7)
As usual, Torey Hayden has charming moments in her memoir of teaching troubled and learning disabled children. Somebody Else's Kids is a interesting look at the time when the pendulum swung from "All disabled kids are segregated, whether appropriate or not" to "All children are mainstreamed, whether appropriate or not."

That being said, this is the second of Torey's books that I read in quick succession, and I didn't find it as effective as some of her other works.

JLsBibliomania | Mar 31, 2013 |
The subject matter of Torey Hayden books and the way she writes makes me turn pages. In fact, it makes me read her books nonstop to the exclusion of anything else I'm reading. In this case, I think she missed some opportunities to help these children. She admits herself that her inability to argue with others is a great failing. In this case I think it made some differences. That said, she cares a great deal about the special needs children she teaches and tries every way possible to help them reach their highest goals. If only every teacher were as caring, driven, and talented. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Feb 19, 2012 |
Oikein hyvä. Tästä aloitin. Luokka. ( )
  Marjaanar | Apr 28, 2009 |
One of my favorites. Actually all Torey's books are my favorites. I really like Lori in this book ( )
  mtgirl | Mar 28, 2008 |
One of my all-time favorite books, I read this once a long time ago and then almost instantly lost it, but it has stayed in my mind ever since (I just recently found out what it was called). This book is so wonderful, telling a very emotional and captivating true-story of a teacher who reaches out to help kids who need it the most. ( )
  Heather19 | Aug 29, 2007 |
This book is for Adam, Jack and Lucio, but especially for Cliffie, whom i could not help, and whom I have lost to a lifetime of walls without windows. A book is such an impotent gesture, but, Cliffie, I have not forgotten you. And perhaps someone else, some other place, some other day, will know what i do not know.
It was the class that created itself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038059949X, Paperback)

"Were all just somebody else's kids . . . "

A small seven-year-old boy who couldn't speak except to repeat weather forecasts and other people's words . . . A beautiful little girl of seven who had been brain damaged by terrible parental beatings and was so ashamed because she couldn't learn to read . . . A violently angry ten-year-old who had seen his stepmother murder his father and had been sent from one foster home to another . . . A shy twelve-year-old from a Catholic school which put her out when she became pregnant . . .

"What do we matter?"
"Why do you care?"

They were four problem children-put in Torey Hayden's class because no one else knew what to do with them. Together, with the help of a remarkable teacher who cared too much to ever give up, they became almost a family, able to give each other the love and understanding they had found nowhere else.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

Describes four special students with learning problems who do not fit into regular classrooms.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,101,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible