The Farmer and the Clown by Marla Frazee

The Farmer and the Clown

by Marla Frazee

1914061,769 (4.26)8

Circus (12)

Beautifully illustrated book that shows the story of a grumpy old farmer who is surprised when a baby clown ends up on his property. As they get to know one another, neither the farmer nor the clown turn out to be what they first appeared. Their lives change from the meeting, and the farmer is given new hope and energy.
  widdowsd | Apr 23, 2017 |
This book is about a little clown who was either thrown, or fell off of a circus train. An older farmer went and picked him up, brought him home and took care of him. The farmer showed him kindness and taught him how to farm as well as how to have fun. The pictures are amazing.
  sabrenarose | Nov 20, 2016 |
Summary: This wordless picture book is about the story of a farmer that is surprised with a clown that falls off of a circus train. It follows the story of the farmer bringing the clown home, and the amazing bond that develops between the two.
Critique: How cute is this book? I enjoyed the change of analyzing the pictures in detail and making inferences about what is going on verse the typical reading of a children's book.
Prompt: I think introducing the idea of a wordless picture book would be good to use when teaching about writing a story. Draw your picture about what you are writing first, and then let the picture come to life with your words.
  hallorand | Oct 5, 2016 |
The illustrations are beautiful. I was particularly drawn to the sense of movement from the characters, as well as the contrast of red and yellows to gray and brown. The story itself, though there were no words, was very bittersweet and the meaning was deepened by the note on the cover flap.
  EmLu | Aug 10, 2016 |
Another great wordless book I will add to my shelf. I have always loved Frazee's illustrations, so it's wonderful to see them tell the story completely on their own. I could see myself having students write their own words to this story for a creative writing lesson. ( )
  CourtneyElizabeth | Aug 3, 2016 |

A nearly wordless picture book in which a farmer rescues a baby clown who has bounced off the circus train, and takes very good care of him until he can reunite the tot with his clown family. [loc.gov, 5/20/2015]

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,487,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible