The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda…

The Sin Eater's Daughter (2015)

by Melinda Salisbury

Series: The Sin Eater's Daughter (1)

Back in November last year, I bought a book called The Sin Eater's Daughter because the summary interested me and that cover looked beautiful. I picked it up a while back, but decided to put it down again because I was in a bit of a reading slump. When the SYNC audiobook season started, I noticed that this book was one of the audiobooks available. So when it was available for download, I decided to immediately do that and started it while working the next day.

The Sin Eater's Daughter tells the story of Twylla, who has been blessed by the gods. Unfortunately, that also brings a downside, as she can never be touched by anyone, save for the queen, the king, and the prince. She is also the official executioner of the court, something she hates terribly. Then, a new guard is assigned to her, and he's the only one who doesn't look at her as if she's a murderer, the only one who sees her as Twylla, not as Daunen embodied.

The first thing I noticed, was that the narrator had a nice, Irish accent. It wasn't too obvious at first, but later on I started hearing the words pronounced in the typical Irish way (words such as 'thought' and others that started or ended with 'th', Irish people pronounce it differently, which is something I personally like). I looked up the narrator, Amy Shiels, who is going to play a role in the upcoming TV series Twin Peaks.

The story itself was really interesting, and I enjoyed listening to it very much. I have to admit that when I first read it it reminded me of Shatter Me a bit, but other than the fact that both Juliette and Twylla can't touch anyone, there weren't really any similarities between these two. What I would have loved, though, was a map of the world. I wasn't really able to imagine the world that well, because there was no map in this book (I do have the physical copy, like I said, so sometimes I could read along with the story).

I loved the story behind Daunen emobodied, about Daeg and Naet (I had trouble picturing these names, so that's where the physical book came in handy) and how Naet (who I guess was the goddess of the night and death and everything dark) seduces her husband Daeg (day, life, light and such). It reminded me of Gaia and Ouranos from the Greek mythology. Personally I would have loved to read more about these gods rather than the actual story, but that's the mythology nerd in me. The only thing I am still rather confused about is the whole Sin Eating ritual. Why is there only one Sin Eater? Who - if not the Gods, because I believe it was established in this book that the while Daunen embodied thing was faked, why not the Sin Eating part? - who thought of this whole Sin Eating? And why? Idk I'm still a bit confused about this whole thing

Romantic wise, I wasn't really 100% behind it to be honest. I found it rather predictable and of course there was a slight hint towards a possible love triangle and that just made me a bit 'meh' over the whole thing. I mean I knew Leif was going to be the love interest rather quickly, maybe not right when he arrived, but later on in the story. I also wasn't a fan of how they said 'I love you' that quickly and how they slept with each other after a couple of months already. But hey that's just me.

The story ended with a bit of a cliffhanger, and I was prepared to pick up the second book almost immediately, but when I read the summary for that one, I realised that it was going to feature a completely different main character? Book two, The Sleeping Prince, will be, from what I understand, from the point of view of Leif's sister, Errin. Now I hope that the characters from book one will make (big) appearances as well (and I don't hope it'll be a multiple POV story *finger crossed*) otherwise I don't really know how to feel about this book.

Anyway, I enjoyed The Sin Eater's Daughter very much, I will pick up the second book and hope the characters I know so well now will make an appearance. I might only pick up the book for its beautiful cover, because did you look at it? It's beautiful right?! If you love fantasy books with a pinch of mythology and fairytale thrown in, you should definitely pick up this book!

My opinion on this book in one gif:

october.tune | Nov 15, 2017 |
Kind of a plodding book where very little happens until the last twenty pages. I really liked those last twenty pages until the epilogue which... I... didn't like.

I dunno, the romance wasn't believable and the magic never actually made any sense and this was all just kind of flat. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
A fun YA fantasy read with a few interesting twists. The narrator is a teen girl who is believed to be the embodiment of a godless - one with the ability to kill with a single touch. Only the royal family is safe from her touch, which places Twylla in a precarious position in the royal court. This book has a slow start, but the story definitely picks up about mid-way through and the author set everything up nicely for a sequel. Fun reading! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | May 16, 2017 |
What started as a truly inspired fantasy world-builder quickly deteriorated into a predictable and wholly unoriginal love triangle. It seems that novels starring a female protagonist are wholly incapable of doing without a love interest let alone a love triangle. It became stale and formulaic fairly quickly. I'm just extremely grateful that it didn't fall victim to the fantasy-sin of the obligatory trilogy. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 27, 2017 |
The Sin Eater’s Daughter (The Sin Eater’s Daughter #1) by Melinda Salisbury is a wonderful story that I stayed up all night to read. I enjoyed this read and it was different and fresh fantasy. It was slow in parts but the plot, characters, and world building was great. Great suspense, twists, and a touch of romance along with this strange world. I got this book from the library. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Apr 11, 2017 |

Melinda Salisburyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shiels, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lief's eyes rake over me. "People don't forget what it is to be loved," he says finally. "No matter how young or old you are, or for how long you had it, you always remember what it is to feel loved. She'll remember you."

Seventeen-year-old Twylla lives in the castle. But although she's engaged to the prince, Twylla isn't exactly a member of the court.

She's the executioner.

As the Goddess embodied, Twylla instantly kills anyone she touches. Each week, she's taken to the prison and forced to lay her hands on those accused of treason. No one will ever love a girl with murder in her veins. Even the prince, whose royal blood supposedly makes him immune to Twylla's fatal touch, avoids her company.

But then a new guard arrives, a boy whose easy smile belies his deadly swordsmanship. And unlike the others, he's able to look past Twylla's executioner robes and see the girl, not the Goddess. Yet Twylla's been promised to the prince, and knows what happens to people who cross the queen.

However, a treasonous secret is the least of Twylla's problems. The queen has a plan to destroy her enemies, a plan that requires a stomach-churning, unthinkable sacrifice. Will Twylla do what it takes to protect her kingdom? Or will she abandon her duty in favor of a doomed love?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:37 -0400)

For four years sixteen-year-old Twylla has lived in the castle of Lormere, the goddess-embodied, whose touch can poison and kill, and hence the Queen's executioner--but when Prince Merek, her betrothed, who is immune to her touch returns to the kingdom she finds herself caught up in palace intrigues, unsure if she can trust him or the bodyguard who claims to love her.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,595,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible