March: Book Two by John Lewis

March: Book Two

by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin (Author), Nate Powell (Illustrator)

Series: March (2)

I think this was my favorite of the three March volumes, mostly because the story of the Freedom Rides in Mississippi is unbelievably tense and beautifully illustrated. It’s amazing to dwell with the courage these civil rights activists showed in the face of so much violence and hatred. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jul 15, 2018 |
In March: Book Two John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell tell the story of John Lewis' activism in the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee, focusing on the Freedom Rides that followed desegregation efforts at the lunch counters. This volume culminates with the 1963 March on Washington and the bombing of a Birmingham, Alabama church that killed four little girls. While the first volume never shied away from violence, Lewis describes how it only intensified following the moderate successes of the Civil Rights movement. Beatings intensified and ignorant whites threatened children because their intolerance was so deep-seated that it could not allow any change. Reading this, one wishes Lewis had kept the line in his speech calling upon Civil Rights activists "through the heart of Dixie, the way Sherman did." Even with the gains of the Civil Rights movement, the South continues to be an embarrassment. Like the first volume, Lewis continues to use the inauguration of President Barack Obama in 2009 as a framing device in order to juxtapose the brutality with a sense of hope, that SNCC members' suffering was worth it. Also like the first volume, Powell's art conveys the emotions Lewis experienced in his youth and the horrors he witnessed far better than simple prose could. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Apr 16, 2018 |
Highly recommend this series, very important history, and much more relevant today than I'd wish. As the first page states..."To the past and future children of the movement" ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
This is a history lesson, a heartbreak, and a primer on resistance. The drawings are starkly black and white, which is both symbolic and deeply affecting. I'm forever grateful to John Lewis and his team of creators for filling in the missing lessons in my education's curriculum. Shame on schools if they don't teach these kids about events, like mine didn't. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
Illustrations by Nate Powell

This is the second in a trilogy of graphic memoirs detailing the Civil Rights Movement and early career of U.S. Representative John Lewis.

Lewis gives the reader a good chronology of the movement in 1961, focusing on the Freedom Riders and culminating in Dr Martin Luther King’s “I have a Dream” speech at the March on Washington. Interspersed with this historical storyline, is the inauguration of Barack Obama as the USA’s first black President.

I lived through this era. I remember hearing about the Freedom Riders, the marches, the brutally violent responses by police forces against peaceful protestors, etc, but I was nine years old when John F Kennedy was elected; I didn’t live in any of the states where the protests were being held, and like most 4th-graders I wasn’t too focused on national news.

I’m glad to have read this now, however. Lewis’s experiences really bring the message home. I was near tears towards the end.

I applaud Lewis and his collaborators, co-author Andrew Aydin and illustrator Nate Powell, for bringing this era in America’s history to the attention of young readers. Providing this information in this format makes it more accessible to a young audience, and it’s important that they learn about this episode in our nation’s history. However, for me (and my old eyes), the format is somewhat problematic. Dark illustrations are not friendly to my eyes. ( )
  BookConcierge | Mar 15, 2018 |

John Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aydin, AndrewAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Powell, NateIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the memory of John Siegenthaler

July 27th, 1927-July 11th, 2014
Brother John--good to see you.

"After the success of the Nashville sit-in campaign, John Lewis is more committed than ever to changing the world through nonviolence -- but as he and his fellow Freedom Riders board a bus into the vicious heart of the deep south, they will be tested like never before."--page 3 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,134,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible