Once Haunted, Twice Shy (The Peyton Clark…

Once Haunted, Twice Shy (The Peyton Clark Series Book 2) (edition 2014)

by H. P. Mallory (Author)

"Sassy, spirited Peyton Clark is back--and she's not alone! After agreeing to let the spirit of Drake Montague inhabit her body, Peyton soon discovers that the twentieth-century French policeman may be dead but his lothario longings sure aren't. Now she has to find a way to explain to her sweet, sexy boyfriend, Ryan Kelly, that a spirit has taken up residence in her head, whispering French words of affection day and night. While Peyton is torn between her love for a living man and her growing affection for one deceased, supernatural activity in New Orleans spikes--and something wicked this way comes. With the help of her friends (and a little voodoo), Peyton learns that the demonic spirit of the Axeman may still dwell in her home. To stop bloody history from repeating itself, Peyton will have to travel back a century to confront the Axeman at his roots, with the help of a certain handsome--and suddenly flesh and blood--police officer in the Big Easy."-- From back cover.… (more)
Member:SheaAston
Title:Once Haunted, Twice Shy (The Peyton Clark Series Book 2)
Authors:H. P. Mallory (Author)
Info:Montlake Romance (2014), 272 pages
Rating:*****

Once Haunted, Twice Shy (The Peyton Clark Series) by H.P. Mallory

I didn’t read the first book in the Peyton Clark series but this didn’t hinder my understanding or enjoyment. Ms. Mallory fills in the background in a way that feels natural and doesn’t intrude on current events. If you’re in the same boat here’s a quick look at the characters.

Peyton Clark ~ Peyton is a divorcee from Los Angeles. She moved to New Orleans to claim her inheritance, an Antebellum home in the Garden District. The house has a long history and like so much in New Orleans is haunted. Peyton is a breath of fresh air charming.

Ryan Kelly ~ Contractor, Southern hunk, and Peyton’s love interest. Ryan is renovating Peyton’s house and dipping his toe back in romantic waters after losing his wife several years ago. Ryan is movie star handsome and a big point in his favor, he’s alive.

Drake Montague ~ Former owner of Peyton’s home, Drake was a policeman who died in 1919. He’s haunted his home ever since. In order to save Drake, Peyton agreed to allow him to share her body. Roguish and flirty, Drake has my heart even if he is a spirit.

Lovie ~ Voodoo priestess. Lovie was instrumental in exorcising the malevolent spirit of a serial killer known as The Axeman from Peyton’s home. The experience has formed a strong bond between them. Lovie is a delight. I’ve had the pleasure of knowing a couple of Lovie’s.

Christopher ~ A warlock who assists Lovie. Christopher is arrogant, condescending, and annoying at the best of times. What a twit but he does have his uses.

Guarda ~ is a direct descendant of Marie Laveau. No matter how you look at Guarda she’s scary and doesn’t inspire a lot of trust.
Nor does she care what anyone thinks so…Not someone you’d want to meet any time, any where.

ONCE HAUNTED TWICE SHY, set in New Orleans one of the most haunted U.S. cities, is creepy enough for a chill with a bit of levity to prevent its being overly dark. Using the historic sites such as The Sultan’s Palace, Lalaurie House, Lafayette Cemetery No.1, the well known streets, and areas brings New Orleans to the reader. The rich history itself lends itself well to a book about superstition, voodoo, ghosts, and other things that go bump in the night.
ONCE HAUNTED TWICE SHY has one of the most poignant love triangles I’ve come across in a long time. There were several times my heart stuttered and one event fractured it. Considering the event things can’t be solved as simply as they appeared to be…not after that. Can they? I’m hoping for more from this, even if it breaks my heart, but sincerely hope that isn’t the case.
Satisfying, for the most part, resolutions don’t leave readers hanging but the last chapter promises more thrills ahead. I’m left wondering; exactly what did Peyton get herself into this time?
It’s fortunate I’m getting into Peyton’s series at the beginning. This is one that I know straight up I’ll be with for the duration.
Reviewed for Miss Ivy's Book Nook ( )
  ivydtruitt | Sep 21, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,635,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible