Titus Andronicus by William Shakespeare

Titus Andronicus

by William Shakespeare, George Peele (Author)

English (30)  Swedish (1)  All languages (31)
My favorite of the lesser-known works, this has got more outright horror than most contemporary slasher novels. Sure, the rhetoric is a bit stilted and Shakespeare borrows heavily from Ovid, but it's a fascinating study of the bottomless pit that people can find themselves in once they succumb to the lure of violence. ( )
1 vote MichaelBarsa | Dec 17, 2017 |
I’m fond of this one, but I’d better go four stars to distinguish between my Shakespeares. It is the Quentin Tarantino of Shakespeare plays, with The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover thrown in (remember that?) Put another way, it is the Marlowe – Tamburlaine, Jew of Malta – and The Spanish Tragedy – deck strewn with dead – of Shakespeares. And fun was had. But you can take this as an exploration of the exploitation of violence. Will loved those plays, presumably, and I feel here he questions himself about why he loves this stuff.

Avoid the Oxford edition. Its introduction told me cruelty can only have been staged for the ‘unlettered groundling’ – nobody educated has such low appetites in entertainment – and never addressed the one thing that bothers me in the play, Aaron the Moor being black and a stereotype villain. However, I see he’s direct from a popular story, and when I place him with Marlowe’s Jew (whose lines he steals), I start to understand. So that’s saved you from marks off, Shakespeare.

As for Lavinia, she is best read against young Will's poem The Rape of Lucrece, published in the same year: fantastic poem, which gives a woman voice on sexual violence, unlike Lavinia who has her tongue cut out. ( )
1 vote Jakujin | Aug 8, 2016 |
A little to gory for my taste. I don't remember where this was, but there was a part where there was about 4 murders in 20 lines. ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
This was surprisingly easy to follow for such a complex plot line. It is Shakespeare's first tragedy and, compared to his others, not as well developed. But the seeds of elements from all of his other tragedies are in this. Especially interesting is the villain, Aaron the Moor, who is a less developed Iago. Though the play is very interesting from the standpoint of seeing how far Shakespeare developed as a dramatic playwright, it is so incredibly violent. So much of the violence occurs so suddenly that it is shocking even while just reading it in manuscript form. Can't wait to see what the Utah Shakespeare Festival handles this one! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |

Ridley, M. R.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waith, Eugene M.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, John DoverEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Witherspoon, A. M.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Noble patricians, patrons of my right,
Defend the justice of my cause with arms,
And, countrymen, my loving followers,
Plead my successive title with your swords:
I am his first-born son, that was the last
That wore the imperial diadem of Rome;
Then let my father's honours live in me,
Nor wrong mine age with this indignity.
Sweet mercy is nobility's true badge.
This work is for the COMPLETE "Titus Andronicus" ONLY. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or "simplifications" (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671722921, Mass Market Paperback)

FOLGER Shakespeare Library

The world's leading centerfor Shakespeare studies

Each edition includes:

· Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

· Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

· Scene-by-scene plot summaries

· A key to famous lines and phrases

· An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

· An essay by a leading Shakespeare scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

· Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Alexander Leggatt

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:21 -0400)

Presents Shakespeare's tragedy of the cruelties and excesses of the Roman court.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014071491X, 0141019662

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,436,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible