No One Gets Out Alive by Adam Nevill

No One Gets Out Alive (edition 2014)

by Adam Nevill (Author)

"When Stephanie moves to the notoriously cheap Perry Bar neighborhood of Birmingham, she's just happy to find an affordable room for rent that's large enough not to deserve her previous room's nickname, "the cell." The eccentric -- albeit slightly overly-friendly -- landlord seems nice and welcoming enough, the ceilings are high, and all of the other tenants are also girls. Things aren't great, but they're stable. Or at least that's what she tells herself when she impulsively hands over enough money to cover the first month's rent and decides to give it a go. But soon after she becomes uneasy about her rash decision. She hears things in the night. Feels them. Things...or people...who aren't there in the light. Who couldn't be there, because after-all, her door is locked every night, and the key is still in place in the morning. Concern soon turns to terror when the voices she hears and presence she feels each night become hostile. It's clear that something very bad has happened in this house. And something even worse is happening now. Stephanie has to find a way out, before whatever's going on in the house finds her first. Adam Nevill's No One Gets Out Alive will chill you straight through to the core -- a cold, merciless, fear-inducing nightmare to the last page. A word of caution, don't read this one in the dark"--… (more)
Member:NathanielStoll
Title:No One Gets Out Alive
Authors:Adam Nevill (Author)
Info:Macmillan (2014), 320 pages

No One Gets Out Alive: A Novel by Adam Nevill

I became rather frustrated at the start of the story as the main character...Stephanie... comes onto the scene with her life in a shambles with nothing to lose. Her self-worth is so drained...she can't imagine extricating herself from the ugly situation she lands in. A few pages of this and you find yourself the victim of a real downer. But then you realize that these feelings just go to demonstrate the talent of this author. The switching gears makes the story exhilarating especially toward the second half of the book. It's a good read. Just stick with it. ( )
  Carol420 | Nov 30, 2018 |
After having read, House of Small Shadows by this author, I wanted to pick up this book many times on my to be read pile. I finally got the time to pick up this book. I was really looking forward to being scared. After a third of the way into the story it was evident to me that this was not going to be the case with this book. The presence of the spirits were not frightening at all. Although in the beginning the things that Stephanie experienced where a little freaky. Yet as the story went on I found the real humans more scary than the spirits.

The storyline is what did it for me. Unlike House of Small Shadows which had a great storyline and characters I actually liked, this book had characters that I hated and after a while I was over the events that were taking place in the residence that Stephanie was residing at. Yet, I kept reading this book until the end as I held out strong hope that it would get better and scarier. The last 10 pages of the book were actually interesting and creepy. ( )
  Cherylk | Jul 12, 2016 |
[No One Gets Out Alive] by Adam Nevill
5★’s

From The Book:
Darkness lives within ...Cash-strapped, working for agencies and living in shared accommodation, Stephanie Booth feels she can fall no further. So when she takes a new room at the right price, she believes her luck has finally turned. But 82 Edgware Road is not what it appears to be. It's not only the eerie atmosphere of the vast, neglected house, or the disturbing attitude of her new landlord, Knacker McGuire, that makes her uneasy - it's the whispers behind the fireplace, the scratching beneath floors, the footsteps in the dark, and the young women weeping in neighboring rooms. And when Knacker's cousin Fergal arrives, the danger goes vertical. But this is merely a beginning, a gateway to horrors beyond Stephanie's worst nightmares. And in a house where no one listens to the screams, will she ever get out alive?

My Thoughts:
Creepy… scary… super creepy… super scary...who could ask for more? She should have listened to the saying ‘If it looks to good to be true it probably is’ Her landlord Knacker McGuire and his dilapidated house give her the creeps. During the day she thinks she sees girls who turn out not to be there, and at night she is kept awake by weeping, whispers and footsteps. Just when Steph thinks that things can’t get any worse Knacker’s cousin Fergal arrives and soon Steph realizes that she will have to get out of the house at any cost, before she becomes trapped there too.

The bad thing about this book is it is a hefty tomb at over 600 pages but I never felt that it was a challenge; except to hold it I found that I was hooked from the time I red the fly-leaf until the brilliantly done ending. What characters we met! Knacker and Fergal are totally sinister giving the whole story a very overwhelming sense of foreboding from the start…Steph’s first night she hears scratching under the bed. Who has not in the dark of night put off looking under the bed until good daylight? You know something bad is going to happen, but the plot unfolds in such a way to make your dread build and build, and even when you think it’s all over at last…it’s not. This is definitely one of the best books of his I have read. To quote another reviewer “A menacing novel that gets under your skin and stays there.” ( )
1 vote Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
The main character is Stephanie, who is so broke and alone in the world that she has to rent a room in an incredibly creepy house. How broke is she? You will find out over the course of two hundred pages as she endlessly counts her money and rehashes her finances only to end up back at the house every night due to the lack of money to go anywhere else. After it becomes clear that Stephanie is never going to be able to quit the house the action picks up. This book had some genuinely creepy moments. I was thoroughly entertained by the supernatural aspects of the book but could have done with a little less of Stephanie's financial regurgitation. Still I was intrigued enough to want to check out more by this author. ( )
1 vote arielfl | Jan 20, 2016 |
In some ways this book has proved a little bit of a disappointment. The first two-thirds is a highly impressive dark tale of a haunted house with a bloody history. Arriving at this seemingly innocuous, red bricked, low rental, house address 82 Edgehill Road Birmingham is Stephanie Booth. She recently split from her boyfriend Ryan and is now and attempting to live cheaply whilst working for a temping agency.

It soon becomes clear there is something evil and wrong within the walls of 82 Edgehill. Stephanie is concerned about voices and sounds she hears, dreams that impinge and bombard her sleep and the lives of fellow residents especially the mysterious and beautiful Margaret and Svetlana.....”she couldn’t be certain that what she had felt around her in that building amounted to more than fear, loneliness, despair and anger. Or cries for help. And those couldn’t harm you. Could they? Who were they? What were they? The idea that the suffering had continued for some time, and would always continue in the wretched building, was unbearable for her to ponder. She dared to wonder what she might be able to do for them – the trapped and the crying, the tormented. “..... Knacker McGuire, the landlord of this dreadful establishment, is an individual who is content to live from immoral earnings with the help of his deranged and somewhat disturbed cousin Fergal Donegal.

So at this point in the novel we have a lovely dark tale within a very haunted house and in the characters of Knacker and Fergal two of the cruellest and most frightening men of evil intent ever committed to paper by the pen of an author. It is genuinely unnerving with the setting and the characters creating an atmosphere that is at times tense and disturbing.....”Hold me, a voice said, I’m cold”. Stephanie closed her eyes tight. Either a young woman had spoken with her mouth a hair’s breath from her ear, or she’d heard the request inside her mind. Cold, invisible fingers remained attached to her wrist. And whatever was beside her slowly reclined upon the bed. The mattress gently gave to support a weight that could not be, and perhaps her eyes deceived her, or maybe the exposed bed sheet really did move. “Hold me. I’m so cold”. Staring at her trembling arm dumbstruck at her own compliance, Stephanie eased herself down to a freezing mattress that she now shared with something she could not see.”......

Now however rather than conclude or continue the strands in this chilling tale, for some unexplained reason the story moves location and the author leads the reader in an entirely different direction. This, in my opinion, makes the book overlong, and destroy the momentum and genuine fright appeal of 82 Edgehill Road.
Nevertheless Adam Nevill has the power to shock, has the power to unnerve and the ability to build and maintain a frighteningly good story and in the characters of Knacker McGuire and Fergal Donegal he has truly created two memorable and evil men. Unfortunately on page 407 when the rhythm is transformed by a shift in time and location the story’s appeal to me is greatly diminished and I find myself hoping the book will conclude soon (never a good sign for any reader!) This is a pity as Nevill is an author of outstanding credentials, his writing both intelligent and impeccably researched and his ideas and thoughts presented in a very readable manner. ( )
1 vote runner56 | Dec 12, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,657,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible