Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake

Titus Groan (1946)

by Mervyn Peake

Series: Gormenghast (1)

3,013682,715 (4.11)1 / 255
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke (saltmanz)
    saltmanz: Both extrememly atmospheric books, with vivid visuals and memorable characters.

English (66)  French (2)  German (1)  All languages (69)
The story of Titus' birth, and the readers are brought face to face, with the huge decaying castle and the odd personalities that live there. while not greatly to my taste, yet the scene is well set for the rest of the trilogy of "Gormenghast." ( )
  DinadansFriend | May 29, 2018 |
This was not at all what I was expecting, but it was very good. Titus Groan is a wonderfully weird story about a giant castle (so big that some inhabitants are completely forgotten about by others) filled with delightfully weird, eccentric characters blindly following centuries of complicated rituals. Action unfolds slowly as we get to know richly drawn characters in this atmospheric, brilliantly written fantasy. ( )
1 vote sprainedbrain | May 12, 2018 |
I liked this book but I will admit it is not going to be for everyone. It moves at a languid pace. The words are as important as any story that is going on. For me it was a lot like reading an over the top fantasy novel that Dickens might have written. Only Dickens made his writing more accessible.

I can see the roots of a lot of writers I really like in this book though (China Mieville for instance). I am glad I finally read it and will work my way through the other books but this is going to be a series I will not read straight through. ( )
1 vote CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Fantasy (vol 1 in series)
1 vote | stevholt | Nov 19, 2017 |
This book is literally perfect and just made me realize how much I love stories about villainous, manipulative foreign boys coming into an established system and destroying everything for their own gain. Not that I didn't already know that, but, you know. Nice to see it done and realize I've been writing it in every single book I've ever written.

Everything is Gothic and Weird and the cast is perfectly strange. The story meanders along, following the life of the bizarre Groan estate where the castle itself is just as much a vivid character as the rest of the cast.

Also, how do I marry Steerpike in real life? This is super important. ( )
1 vote eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |

Peake, Mervynprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burgess, AnthonyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harding, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pepper, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robertson, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitfield, RobertNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dost thou love picking meat? Or would'st thou see
A man in the clouds, and have him speak to thee?
BUNYAN
Gormenghast, that is, the main massing of the original stone, taken by itself would have displayed a certain ponderous quality were it possible to have ignored the circumfusion of those mean dwellings that swarmed like an epidemic around its outer walls.
Aast ge op aards gewin? Of zoudt gij eer het woord vernemen van een hoger heer? - Bunyan
Swelter's eyes meet those of his enemy, and never was there held between four globes of gristle so sinister a hell of hatred. Had the flesh, the fibres, and the bones of the chef and those of Mr. Flay been conjured away and away down that dark corridor, leaving only their four eyes suspended in mid-air outside the Earl's door, then, surely, they must have reddened to the hue of Mars, reddened and smouldered, and at last broken into flame, so intense was their hatred - broken into flame and and circled about one another in ever-narrowing gyres and in swifter and yet swifter flight until, merged into one sizzling globe of ire they must have surely fled, the four in one, leaving a trail of blood behind them in the cold grey air of the corridor, until, screaming as they fly beneath innumerable arches and down endless passageways of Gormenghast, they found their eyeless bodies once again, and re-entrenched themselves in startled sockets.

one of the few remaining copies today

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

Titus Groan, heir to Lord Sepulchrave, has just been born. His world will be predetermined by complex rituals, the origins of which are lost in time; it will be peopled by the dark characters who inhabit the half-lit corridors.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,988,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible