Miss Billings Treads the Boards by Carla…

Miss Billings Treads the Boards

by Carla Kelly

I was curious to see what Ms. Kelly was going to do with an overweight, balding hero named "Hal". She did manage to write a good story with interesting characters. I didn't feel it was quite up to par with most of the other books I have read by this author, but still 3- 3 1/2 stars.
I definitely prefer this older cover pictured here and not the new cover that is on the paperback now. The two floating heads really do not sell this book at all. ( )
  mary23nm | Feb 27, 2019 |
Miss Billings Treads the Boards is a frothy delight. Mrs. Kelly has a gift for creating unlikely settings and characters for her stories, rich character development, and protagonists who are kind-hearted, decent, and all-too-human. She also tends to bring together couples who are made for one another and gives them the time, trials, and plot twists they need in order to mature and cement their relational bonds.

Although I like Miss Billings Treads the Boards, I do not think it is one of Kelly's best. For example, there is a nonsensical holdup in which the very wealthy Hal Hampton is gravely injured. He is found by a theatrical troup on tour, living a hand-to-mouth existence as they travel from place to place. Despite all they had done for him, Hampton didn't help them (with cash) when he could easily do so. For the purposes of a strong plot I see why it was handled this way, but it did create problems in other ways. In Miss Billings, I see the beginnings of With This Ring (Regency Romance, Signet), which Kelly published in 1997, four years after Miss Billings. In With This Ring, a few of the themes and situations used in Miss Billings reappear, fully realized. With This Ring is one of my favorite Regency era novels.

Miss Billings Treads the Boards has what it takes for an enjoyable read, and even though he was remarkably selfish, I found a male lead who was overweight and on the path to going bald refreshing! ( )
  rsstick | Nov 5, 2010 |

Due to a series of mishaps, gently raised Katherine Billings and cynical, lazy Lord Grayson end up joining a traveling theatrical troupe (incognito, of course). A charming French emigr‚e, a single-minded Bow Street runner, and love round out a summer where the repertory includes deception, faux marriage, the law, and enough unsavory characters to suit any would-be Shakespeare.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,756,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible