The Twits by Roald Dahl

The Twits (1980)

by Roald Dahl

English (74)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (78)
I was read this in kindergarten, and was absolutely terrified. Now I would read it again. ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Fun, silly, weird, disgusting, and overall enjoyable :) ( )
  pathogenik | Feb 18, 2016 |
One of Dahl’s books for younger readers, and of course, a story with a moral. The Twits are not nice people – they don’t even like one another, let alone anyone else. They keep monkeys in the garden because they used to work at a circus – Mr Twit makes the monkeys do everything upside down. One day a strange, wise bird appears and helps the monkeys formulate a plan that will enable them to have a better life, whilst having a little revenge on the evil Twits.

I think this is a 2½ book for me - I didn't dislike it, but it wasn't brilliant. I'm sure Dahl has much better for me to look forward to. ( )
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |
Mr. Twit is a hairy-faced man with a beard that grows in spikes from his chin. He never washes his face so his beard is full of bits of meals he has eaten. Mrs. Twit is an extremely ugly woman who was born a very pretty girl but her thoughts and feelings grew uglier and uglier as the years passed making her very ugly indeed. The Twits spend their days playing nasty tricks on one another, spreading glue on tree branches so birds will be unable to fly away and thus become part of bird pie, and antagonizing 4 little monkeys they keep in a cage by making them stand on their heads all the time. The birds and monkeys decide they have had enough and plot their revenge on the evil Twits.

Dahl has such a silly sense of humor and this is one more example of how much fun he can have with a simple story. I am sure that children love this one and although I came to Dahl's work rather late in life I enjoyed it too!
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
Creative lessons in how to be awful to one another is just part of this lovely little book. Dahl spins a tale of justice for birds, boys, and monkeys against two horrid, hateful, dirty little freaks named The Twits in the wonderfully icky, twisted, and ultimately bully-busting romp. ( )
  KEFeeney | Dec 6, 2015 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Emma
What a lot of hairy-faced men there are around nowadays.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241039X, Paperback)

Mr. and Mrs. Twit hate everything, including their trained monkeys, the Muggle-Wumps, who now want revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:37 -0400)

The misadventures of two terrible old people who enjoy playing nasty tricks and are finally outwitted by a family of monkeys.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141322756, 0141807830

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,254,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible