The Twits by Roald Dahl

The Twits (1980)

by Roald Dahl

English (65)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (68)
This book teaches kids why they shouldn't act like dickheads to each other and what sort of person you become if you do. ( )
  areadingmachine | Jul 6, 2015 |
I was a little nervous about this book because I enjoyed it so much as a child and was worried it might not live up to expectations. However, I was not disappointed. As a grown up I like the message that Mr & Mrs Twit are not ugly because of their looks, though they are disgusting, but because of years of ugly thoughts which show on their faces. My four year old's favourite parts were the worm spagetti, and meeting Mugglewump and the Roly Poly Bird again (who also feature in The Enormous Crocodile). ( )
  eclecticdodo | Jun 30, 2015 |
A couple who hates everything finally understand what it's like to be hates when their pet monkeys decide to get revenge. ( )
  iamryancorcoran | Jun 9, 2015 |
This book was good but not as enjoyable as the other Roald Dahl books that I have read. The characters are nasty and negative. Roald Dahl does an excellent job of portraying these characteristics in this book. This would not be the first Roald Dahl book that I would recommend but it is still a pretty decent read.

Curricular connections:
I think that this could be a good book for a counselor to use in lessons or to assign to a student that is having problems with being negative or treating others badly.
  ERegele | Mar 1, 2015 |
I can’t remember much about “The Twits”, as I read it when at primary school, but I do recall how popular Roald Dahl was with most if not all of the class, and this book was amongst the most popular. For that reason I’m rating this four stars and hope I’m not being unjustified.

I either read this or had it read to me (the equivalent to an audio book) or both somewhere from 1983-85, thus I’ve put 1984 as reading dates as an average. I will have read/heard a few of Mr Dahl’s books during this period, of which some titles I can’t remember at all.

If I had to or wanted to re-read any children’s books for some reason or other then I’d definitely opt for works by this author. All these years on and he’s left a very faint yet happy memories in the back of my mind. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Feb 5, 2015 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Emma
What a lot of hairy-faced men there are around nowadays.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241039X, Paperback)

Mr. and Mrs. Twit hate everything, including their trained monkeys, the Muggle-Wumps, who now want revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:37 -0400)

The misadventures of two terrible old people who enjoy playing nasty tricks and are finally outwitted by a family of monkeys.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141322756, 0141807830

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,030,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible