The Twits by Roald Dahl

The Twits (original 1980; edition 2007)

by Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake (Illustrator)

Member:Huge_Horror_Fan
Title:The Twits
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Quentin Blake (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (2007), Paperback, 96 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Kids

The Twits by Roald Dahl (1980)

English (78)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (82)
I really liked this book!

Even though it's not my favourite of Roald Dahl's, it's still up there as a total and utter classic. I loved the way he described the Twits, the depth, the details he added to what was in Mr. Twit's beard. And the illustrations from Quentin Blake, the style of them, in particular, just added to the whole novel.

I love that Dahl has a really nice balance of being serious and self-aware, and totally silly and hilarious. He speaks about the intelligence of children in a really respectful way, and can create age-appropriate references to some more sombre topics, which I don't think is easy to do.

Another classic from Roald Dahl, but not my favourite. c:

lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
The Twits is the story of two horrible, nasty individuals by the name of Mr. and Mrs. Twit. Their favorite occupation (besides being absolutely horrendous in increasingly vile ways to one another) is to torment their 4 trained monkeys and the birds which roost in their tree. As with most of Dahl's writing, there is a most satisfying conclusion at the end of this book which I just can't in good conscience spoil. Just know that Mr. Dahl certainly doesn't shrink from ghastly topics. ;-) ( )
  AliceaP | Aug 16, 2016 |
So Muggle-Wump and his family are Africans. They've been captured by an English couple called Mr and Mrs Twit and reduced to the status of monkeys doing tricks in a cage. Mr and Mrs Twit aren't horrible just to Africans: they're horrible to everyone. Muggle-Wump and his family try to warn everyone but they can't speak English. Luckily the Roly-Poly Bird turns up and he's bilingual. Together they deliver justice.

The greatest work of twentieth century anti-slavery literature. ( )
  Lukerik | Jul 20, 2016 |
I literally sat and read this short book in one sitting. I know it is for children, but I enjoy Roald Dahl's work.

The Twits are a couple of nasty, mean, stinky people. They don't like anyone or each other. What they do like is playing tricks on each other, Bird Pie and making their monkey family, the Muggle-Wumps, stand on their heads. But the Muggle-Wumps are fed up with standing on their heads...they want out and away from the terrible Twits.

When the Roly-Poly Bird stops by on his vacation from Africa, things start to change. Head standing? Bird Pie? Playing tricks on people. All those things change...and in an interesting way! ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
I was read this in kindergarten, and was absolutely terrified. Now I would read it again. ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vriesendorp, HuberteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Emma
What a lot of hairy-faced men there are around nowadays.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014241039X, Paperback)

Mr. and Mrs. Twit hate everything, including their trained monkeys, the Muggle-Wumps, who now want revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:37 -0400)

The misadventures of two terrible old people who enjoy playing nasty tricks and are finally outwitted by a family of monkeys.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141322756, 0141807830

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,136,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible