The Shore by Sara Taylor

The Shore

by Sara Taylor

2093455,966 (3.76)53
    Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg (charl08)
    charl08: Similar style of linked narration by different members of a community, with convincing distinctive voices, dealing with theme of family.

English (33)  Dutch (1)  All (34)
read most of it.. really good but I kept wanting a novel ( )
  joanalau | Sep 6, 2017 |
A group of small islands off the coast of Virginia are simply known as The Shore. There are thirteen interconnected stories ranging from the year 1876 all the way to 2143.

When the stories weren't boring, they were morbid. The book is forgettable. It was hard to keep track of everyone. Sometimes I couldn't even get through a paragraph I hated the book that much. If I hadn't of won this through Goodreads First Reads I would never have finished it. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
Brilliantly realized, with great writing and vivid characters. There's a lot of jumping around in time, but it's easy to figure out how all the characters relate to each other and I liked the way that Taylor demonstrated the themes of the book in vastly different time periods. One of my favorite books from this year's Bailey longlist. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
picked up today at doctors office while waiting ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 8, 2016 |
picked up today at doctors office while waiting ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 3, 2016 |
Taylor, it seems, can do dark realism as well as she can the magic kind – in fact, she seems able to do most things. This debut is a testament to an exuberant talent and an original, fearless sensibility. It’s also enormous fun to read.

To B.A. Goodjohn, for all the Friday mornings
When the news of the murder breaks I'm in Matthew's buying chicken necks so my little sister Renee and I can go crabbing.

The Shore: a group of small islands in the Chesapeake Bay, just off the coast of Virginia. The Shore is clumps of evergreens, wild ponies, oyster-shell roads, tumble-down houses, unwanted pregnancies, murder, and dark magic in the marshes. Sanctuary to some but nightmare to others, it's a place that generations of families both wealthy and destitute have inhabited, fled, and returned to for hundreds of years. From a half-Shawnee Indian's bold choice to escape an abusive home only to find herself with a man who will one day try to kill her, to a brave young girl's determination to protect her younger sister as methamphetamine ravages their family, the characters in this remarkable novel have deep connections to the land, and a resilience that only the place they call home could create.

Through a series of interconnecting narratives that recalls the work of David Mitchell and Jennifer Egan, Sara Taylor brings to life the small miracles and miseries of a community of outsiders, and the bonds of blood and fate that connect them all.

Spanning over a century, dreamlike and yet impossibly real, profound and playful, THE SHORE is a breathtakingly ambitious and accomplished work of fiction by a young writer of remarkable promise.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sara Taylor's book The Shore was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,583,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible