The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath by…

The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath (2000)

by Sylvia Plath

Other authors: Karen V. Kukil (Editor)

Presents the complete journals of twentieth-century American author Sylvia Plath, from 1950 to 1962, transcribed from her original manuscripts.
    College Women In The Nuclear Age: Cultural Literacy and Female Identity, 1940-1960 by Babette Faehmel (jillianhistorian)
    jillianhistorian: Interesting context for Plath's live -- Faehmel focuses on the experiences of college women during these decades, including their struggles with balancing sexuality with intellectual lives. Complicates the "feminine mystique" described by Betty Friedan in ways Plath might have related to.… (more)
    The Journals of Sylvia Plath {abridged} by Sylvia Plath (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: It's interesting to compare the abridged & unabridged editions to see what Ted Hughes left out of his version. The unabridged edition gives a much more ocmplete, rounded portrait of Plath.

Like many girls of my day, I was obsessed with Sylvia Plath back in my high school years-- I read everything I could get my hands on by her, as well as the Ted Hughes edit of her journals (in which her talented, scoundrel of a husband left out pretty much anything critical of himself.)

I've long wanted to read the "unabridged version" which still seems to be missing a lot. Hughes burned Plath's final journal after his estranged wife's suicide... there are also big gaps in this book, which seems odd for such a meticulous note taker.

Plath's journals are an interesting read-- she struggled so much with wanting and despairing of the conventional role for women of her time. She reminded me so much of Virginia Woolf-- I wondered how both of these ladies would have fared in a times where a woman's sexuality does not need to be repressed.

I found the journals reminded me how brilliant Plath was, even as an 18-year-old college freshman. She write a lot about the process of writing in them, which drags a bit after a while, but overall, these journals were an interesting read. ( )
  amerynth | Jan 28, 2016 |
I've only read parts of them. Rough going. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 22, 2016 |
At times I felt as if I would never finish though it only took approximately two weeks for me to read. It sat on my nightstand for nearly a year before I actually felt ready to tackle it. Lots of underlining and dog ears just reaffirming how difficult life is in general and how much harder to be true to your art. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Feb 10, 2015 |
Her best. ( )
  veranasi | Jan 17, 2014 |
I've been wanting this for years, since college. I still don't have it :(
  purplehena | Mar 31, 2013 |
Dit morrelen aan de mogelijkheden van het bestaan maakt Plaths proza zeer de moeite waard. Ze raakt algemene levenswetten, waar iedereen mee worstelt. Ze graait naar de onbekende toekomst en dat is tragisch en vervreemdend, omdat wij lezers precies weten hoeveel dagen ze nog heeft. Plath weet alleen dat ze ontelbare mogelijkheden heeft om haar leven richting te geven, maar ze wil de verantwoordelijkheid van het kiezen niet aan, dat beknot haar te veel. Daarom blikt ze op een dwangmatig bestraffende manier vooruit ('I must' en 'I shall' zijn een repeterend refrein) en vergeet zo de zachte blos op de zure goudrenet van haar leven.
added by Jozefus | editNRC Handelsblad, Fleur Speet (Dec 22, 2000)

Sylvia Plathprimary authorall editionscalculated
Karen V. KukilEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
July 1950-- I may never be happy, but tonight I am content. Nothing more than an empty house, the warm hazy weariness from a day spent setting strawberry runners in the sun, a glass of cool sweet milk, and a shallow dish of blueberries bathed in cream. Now I know how people can life without books, without college. When one is so tired at the end of the day one must sleep, and at the next dawn there are more strawberry runners to set, and so one goes on living, near the earth. At times like this I'd call myself a fool to ask for more...
I may never be happy, but tonight I am content.
Schrijven breekt de graftomben van de doden open en de hemelen waarachter de voorspellende engelen zich verbergen.
[I]k zal schrijven totdat mijn diepste innerlijk begint te spreken, en dan kinderen krijgen en uit nog diepere diepten spreken. Eerst het leven van de scheppende geest, dan dat van het scheppende lichaam. Want het laatste betekent niets voor me zonder het eerste, en het eerste floreert op de vruchtbare wortels in de aarde van het laatste.
Please distinguish between The Journals of Sylvia Plath (1982), originally published as heavily edited by her husband, Ted Hughes, and this Work, The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath (2000). The Unabridged edition presents nearly 400 pages of additional material, making the two Works very different.

This distinction is complicated by the British edition of The Unabridged Journals (ISBN 0571197043) being also titled The Journals of Sylvia Plath, so a number of abridged and unabridged copies continue to be combined incorrectly.

Legacy Library: Sylvia Plath

Sylvia Plath has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Sylvia Plath's legacy profile.

See Sylvia Plath's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,979,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible