Snow White Red-Handed by Maia Chance

Snow White Red-Handed

by Maia Chance

I gave it a college try - 40 pages in I was not impressed with writing.
  anglophile65 | May 23, 2017 |
1867. When American actresses Ophelia Flax and Prue Bright lose their jobs en-route to Europe, they scramble for employment and are hired as maids by the newly-wedded millionaire Coops. They travel with the couple to the Coop's recently purchased castle in Germany's Black Forest where two scholarly fairy tale experts investigate a small building on the Coop's land that may have been the ancient home of Snow White and the seven dwarfs. Gold is in the dirt by the cottage and in a ceiling beam that is soon stolen. When Mr. Coop is murdered and Prue blamed, Ophelia teams up with Professor Penrose to acquit Prue and discover the truth behind the fairy tale relics.
Snow White Red-Handed is a fun story. The murder mystery is complex as no character is exactly who s/he claims to be. The fairy tale components are delightful. Ophelia is clever and spunky; Prue is a lovable dingbat; Penrose is a sexy investigative partner. The romances follow chaste Victorian standards, allowing for development in future editions of the series, which I look forward to reading. ( )
  elizabethcfelt | May 15, 2017 |
I had a hard time getting into this. I would read a couple of pages then put it down,read then put it down, read then put it... You get what I mean. But once I got into it, I really enjoyed it. Very glad I stuck with it. ( )
  Half-elf28 | Jun 1, 2016 |
I could not figure out who the murderer was in this one..wait, who was it now again? Oh right. See, I am so bad at this, but that is good cos else it would get boring.

Ophelia and Prue are actresses, and now they are not. Now they are maids and going to Germany. To a castle where in the woods Snow White's cottage has been found. Alas murder! The owner of the castle is killed and Ophelia sets out to solve the murder. Now she is not a stupid girl who just wants to solve a crime. No, she has to. Lives are a stake and fingers are pointing at everyone. Also there is the fact that they totally lied about being maids.

I did like the whole Snow white thing the best. There is nothing magical about this. But then the story (if we take a way a few things), is just about a girl with a wicked stepmother who meets dwarves and falls for a prince. So in the middle of all the who killed him? There is also the hunt for the truth behind Snow White.

I saw that the next book takes place in France and will have something with Cinderella in it, cool. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
In 1867, Ophelia and Prudence find themselves on the outs from Howard DeLuxes's Varieties while onboard a ship steaming for Europe on the SS Leviathan. Quickly, Ophelia finds them positions as a ladies maid and scullery maid for newlywed Mrs. Coop, who is on her way to her husband's latest obsession, a castle near the famous spa retreat, Baden-Baden, in Germany. Professor Gabriel Penrose and his mentor, Professor Winkler, arrive at Schloss Grunewald at the behest of Mr. Homer Coop, to examine some small remains found in the forest of the castle grounds. Belief in fairy tales, in particular Snow White, is a must, as the woods and towns of the story are filled with characters attempting to solve multiple mysteries. I liked the chaos, Prue escaping with gardener Hansel to track down certain clues and Ophelia teaming up with Professor Penrose, utilizing her acting abilities to blend in anywhere. It was a fun story and the attention to detail about Snow White was interesting. ( )
  ethel55 | Jul 31, 2015 |
The great deeps of a boundless forest have a
beguiling and impressive charm in any country; but
German legends and fairy tales have given these an
added charm. They have peopled all that region with
gnomes, and dwarfs, and all sorts of mysterious and
uncanny creatures. At the time I am writing of, I had
been reading so much of this literature that sometimes
I was not sure but I was beginning to believe in the
gnomes and fairies as realities.
- Mark Twain, A Tramp Abroad (1880)
For Henry and Aesa, my beloved fairy tale elves.
Miss Ophelia Flax was neither a professional confidence trickster nor a lady's maid, but she played both on the stage.

Begins August 1867.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425271625, Mass Market Paperback)

Miss Ophelia Flax is a Victorian actress who knows all about making quick changes and even quicker exits. But to solve a fairy-tale crime in the haunted Black Forest, she’ll need more than a bit of charm…

1867: After being fired from her latest variety hall engagement, Ophelia acts her way into a lady’s maid position for a crass American millionaire. But when her new job whisks her off to a foreboding castle straight out of a Grimm tale, she begins to wonder if her fast-talking ways might have been too hasty. The vast grounds contain the suspected remains of Snow White’s cottage, along with a disturbing dwarf skeleton. And when her millionaire boss turns up dead—poisoned by an apple—the fantastic setting turns into a once upon a crime scene.

To keep from rising to the top of the suspect list, Ophelia fights through a bramble of elegant lies, sinister folklore, and priceless treasure, with only a dashing but mysterious scholar as her ally. And as the clock ticks towards midnight, she’ll have to break a cunning killer’s spell before her own time runs out…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:22 -0400)

"Miss Ophelia Flax is a Victorian actress who knows all about making quick changes and even quicker exits. But to solve a fairy-tale crime in the haunted Black Forest, she'll need more than a bit of charm. 1867: After being fired from her latest variety hall engagement, Ophelia acts her way into a lady's maid position for a crass American millionaire. But when her new job whisks her off to a foreboding castle straight out of a Grimm tale, she begins to wonder if her fast-talking ways might have been too hasty. The vast grounds contain the suspected remains of Snow White's cottage, along with a disturbing dwarf skeleton. And when her millionaire boss turns up dead--poisoned by an apple--the fantastic setting turns into a once upon a crime scene. To keep from rising to the top of the suspect list, Ophelia fights through a bramble of elegant lies, sinister folklore, and priceless treasure, with only a dashing but mysterious scholar as her ally. And as the clock ticks towards midnight, she'll have to break a cunning killer's spell before her own time runs out"--Page [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,809,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible