Pinkalicious by Elizabeth Kann

Pinkalicious (edition 2006)

by Elizabeth Kann, Victoria Kann, Victoria Kann (Illustrator)

Member:littleturtle82
Title:Pinkalicious
Authors:Elizabeth Kann
Other authors:Victoria Kann, Victoria Kann (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2006), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, children, contemporary, humor, fantasy, art, picture book, poetry, 2nd grade reading level, ages 4-8, 2nd-3rd grade reading level, ATOS Level 2.7, AD560L

Pinkalicious by Victoria Kann

Recently added bychristine_jones, private library, findash87, kpurvis88, hhyde, alexis.smith, GDKPreschool
    Mom! What's That? by Atlas Jordan (Anonymous user)

Summary:
This story is about a little girl living in a totally pink world. On a rainy day, her mother makes some cupcakes. Naturally, she wants pink cupcakes! After a warning from her mother that too many cupcakes will turn her pink, she continues to eat more and more of them. The next day, she wakes up pink! After a trip to the doctor, who's advice was to eat more greens, she returns home to eat another pink cupcake. This turns her an even darker shade of pink. Finally, after getting tired of new complexion, she eats all the greens she can stand and returns to normal. The author ends the story with a fun surprise for the brother!
Personal Reaction:
The old phrase "too much of a good thing can become a bad thing" is exactly what this story brought too mind. Even though I don't eat sweets, I can relate to this story in terms of me always wanting more and more hours at work. Eventually, burnout happens, and I'm ready to find that normal state again.
Extension Ideas:
1. Children can create their own story with their favorite color. In the story they can include their favorite color, favorite food, and something that is not their favorite to return them to "normal."
2. The students and teacher could create a chart that compares their favorite snack to a healthier alternative.
3. As a fun game to incorporate, you could play a version of Simon Says. In this game, have the tasks involve picking out correct colors and foods.
  alexis.smith | Jul 10, 2014 |
There is so much pink! Pink, pink, pink. More than anything, Pinkalicious loves pink, especially pink cupcakes. Her parents warn her not to eat too many of them, but when Pinkalicious does . . . she turns pink from eating too many pink cupcakes.
  alishablaire | Mar 18, 2014 |
I liked "Pinkalicious" by author and illustrator Victoria Kann and author Elizabeth Kann. I liked the illustrators use of mixed media that built detail into places like Pink's Mothers kitchen and the vivid use of colors like and pinks and purples that emphasized the consequences of Pinks inability to control her impulses. I thought the story was clever and enjoyed the restatement of the Mother's cry of "you get what you get and you don't get upset" which seemed to emphasize the theme of the story that Pink's decisions lead to her getting exactly what she wants only to find that it may not be worth it. I liked that this was the big idea of this story, and that we see the consequences in comic and exaggerated outcomes. ( )
  awhite43 | Mar 13, 2014 |
Summary of book: Pinkalicious is about a little girl who loves the color pink. She paints in pink, has a pink dress, and her entire room is filled with pink things. There are tons of kids at her school whom try to discourage her from liking the color pink, so she becomes sad and tries not to like the color pink. One day a girl in her class painted a blue cake, but decided she needed to add some pink to her cake to make the color purple. Pinkalicious realized just how important the color pick really is, and she also made a new friend.

Personal Reflection: I personally do not the color pink very much either, but it is sad when peer pressure affects the way people live their lives. Mixing colors and experimenting on paper is important for children to experience to express themselves. Pink may not be my favorite color, but I wouldn't want someone making fun of me for liking the color purple.

Extension of Book: My first extension idea would be to paint two pictures, one of items in our bedrooms that have our favorite colors, and another picture where we mix our favorite color with our neighbors favorite color to see what color is made. My second extension idea is to have show and tell where the day before the kids bring in their favorite colored toy from their house. ( )
  AmberTrujillo | Feb 11, 2014 |
Great story especially for those girls who love pink - I'm renewing this book at the Library! ( )
  lmeza | Feb 6, 2014 |
The "Pinkalicious" series is a great resource to teach colors and a strong message to stay true to yourself.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Victoria Kannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kann, Elizabethmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Jaison and Ashley - E.K.
To Christina and Leigha - V.K.
And to our parents, Patricia and Steve, with a special thank-you to Jill.

Cupcakes for all!
It was a rainy day, too wet to go outside.

Pink, pink, pink. More than anything, Pinkalicious loves pink, especially pink cupcakes. Her parents warn her not to eat too many of them, but when Pinkalicious does . . . she turns pink! What to do?

This sparkling picture book, filled with such favorites as pink bubble gum, pink peonies, pink cotton candy, and pink fairy princess dresses, celebrates all things pink while showing that being yourself is best of all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:40 -0400)

A little girl who is obsessed with the color pink eats so many pink cupcakes that she herself turns pink.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,650,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible