The Knight and Knave of Swords by Fritz…

The Knight and Knave of Swords (original 1988; edition 2008)

by Fritz Leiber (Author)

Member:Kythe42
Title:The Knight and Knave of Swords
Authors:Fritz Leiber (Author)
Info:Dark Horse Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, Own

The Knight and Knave of Swords by Fritz Leiber (Author) (1988)

English (6)  French (1)  All languages (7)
Odd, coming back to characters you haven't read in so very very long. But it's also a fixup, the story of our heroes as they settle down. A bit disjointed, but still enjoyable. ( )
1 vote Jon_Hansen | Apr 24, 2017 |
I loved this book, but it's the last one in the series that I bought. Some of the stories in here were previously published in other places, and it didn't hold me in the way the first six did.

Life is finite. As Aldous Huxley said, "Time Must Have a Stop."

(That reminds me, I ought to add in all my Huxley, and Anthony Burgess, and other fun authors to LT some day or other.) ( )
  Lyndatrue | Dec 8, 2013 |
The seventh and final volume in Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series, containing stories from the late seventies and eighties. This one was a bit different than the previous for me, insofar as it is the only volume I had never read before, as it had not been released (or indeed, written) yet the last time I read through the series. Knight and Knave of Swords is generally considered the series’ low point, and with very good reason – while Swords and Ice Magic was rather mediocre, this one is outright bad, and if it wasn’t for my stubbornly insisting on reading the series in its entirety I probably would not have finished it.

The volume’s basic structure is similar to Swords and Ice Magic – it starts off with some shorter stories (not quite vignettes this time, though, even though there is not really that much more happening) and then ends with what one might consider as either a long novella or a short novel. Noteworthy about Knight and Knave of Swords is that it is the longest volume in this series – it is not quite a doorstopper but it has a significantly higher page count than any of the previous books. And this turns out to be not a good thing at all – where Leiber’s storytelling used to be lean and slink, propelled by action and humor, here its most characteristic feature is a huge amount of bloat, the stories’ narrative momentum getting lost in lacklustre descriptions of pointless detail – Knight and Knave of Swords reads like a re-imagining of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser as done by Robert Jordan.

The three introductory stories are bad enough in that respect, but things take an even worse turn in the concluding novella “The Mouser Goes Below”. All the colour and wit, all the elegance and ironic touches that made this series so special seem to have been drained from Leiber’s prose, leaving a dry, dull husk that is all the more painful to read for those extremely rare moments when there is a brief sparkle of its former brilliance (like when it turns out that the Fafhrd’s child is actually closer in character to the Grey Mouser and vice versa). But those moments are so few and far between as to be almost non-existent, and the rest of the novella resembles nothing more than one of the pointless vignettes from Swords and Ice Magic – blown up to over 200 pages. Our supposed protagonists are even more passive than in the previous volume’s “Frost Monstreme / Rime Isle”, they are just being pushed around like pawns and this time there is not even any real purpose behind it, the whole novella reads like one long exercise in utter futility.

Even though after reading Swords and Ice Magic I did not go with any high expectations into this volume, Knight and Knave of Swords still managed to be a huge disappointment and I cannot imagine even the most diehard fan of the series deriving any enjoyment from this volume. Even the attempts at fan service (Fafhrd’s daughter and the Grey Mouser’s son) fall woefully flat and the whole thing is a dreary mess that leaves a bad taste in one’s mouth. I had to thumb through some of the early volumes to get rid of it and to remind myself that this used to be a wonderful series. Knight and Knave of Swords is emphatically going to get skipped in any further re-readings of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser I might be undertaking.
1 vote Larou | Dec 31, 2012 |
Volume 7 of Lieber's classic sword and sorcery series. ( )
  stpnwlf | Jul 17, 2007 |

The final volume of the Fafhrd and Gray Mouser series finds our heroes in semi-respectable retirement. You knew that couldn’t last!
  DaveHardy | Jan 16, 2007 |

Hill, RyanMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet,DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitcomb, HeidiCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Que soient ici remerciés tous ceux qui m'ont aidé à éditer ce livre : mes amis James A. Minor, Miriam Rodstein, Anne Ross, Pamela Troy, David A. Wilson et surtout Margo Skinner.
On the world of Nehwon and the land of Simorgya, six days fast sailing south from Rime Isle, two handsome silvery personages conversed intimately yet tensely in a dimly and irregularly lit hall of pillars open overhead to the darkness.
The Knight and Knave of Swords was reissued by White Wolf as Farewell to Lankhmar

In two short stories, a novelette and a complete novel, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser--both together and in solo adventures--navigate all manner of strange waters. Fafhrd goes sailing through the clouds, and the Mouser as merchant captain saves his wares through forethought that lifts his laden vessel from a watery grave back to the surface of the ocean. Finally, after the Gray Mouser imagines himself an ant among the cobblestones of Newhon and Fafhrd is entranced by the stars, we say farewell to Lankhmar (for now).… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,522,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible