Off Kilter by Hannah Reed

This book was such a nice surprise! It was the first book that I read by this author. I am going to be reading more of her books. It was a nice mix of suspense and humor. I did figure out quite early on who the baddie was, but I enjoyed the book so much it did not matter. ( )
  Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |
The setting for this series can' t be beat - right in the middle of the Scottish highlands. And this book is set in the summer which I'm sure is a very beautiful time in this area. Eden Elliot has left her life back in Chicago because a dear friend has given her the gift of a six month stay in tiny little Glenkillen. Eden has lost her husband to divorce and her mother to the debilitating disease of MS. She is at loose ends in her life after devoting so much time to taking care of her ill mother. In Glenkillen she finds lots to distract her - new friends, and enemies, murder and two interesting men. She soon finds herself in hot water and danger while she is trying to learn how to drive a manual shift car in the steep roads and byroads in and around Glenkillen, and while she is trying to learn who to trust and who not to. I love the setting, and even though I have some reservations about the Eden's character, I will read more in this series. ( )
  Romonko | Apr 1, 2016 |
There is a lot to like about Off Kilter, a new first in series cozy. The characters are varied in personality, with warm, quirky, and easy to like among them. The location is nice and is well described without going overboard.
The mystery is quite good, although I would have liked to have felt a bit more danger lurking.
Hannah Reed has done well at starting this series off. I am well invested and can't wait for more. ( )
  StephLaymon | Jan 26, 2016 |
Off Kilter is the first book in the A Scottish Highlands Mystery series.

Eden Elliott has recently gone through a divorce and her mother's passing. when her BFF, Ami has given her a tickets to Scotland. Hopefully this will help Eden to put the past behind and get on with , her writing career. On the flight to Glenkillen she meets Vivki MacBride who is returning to the village for her father's funereal and to take over her father' sheep farm. When Eden decides to attend the wake at the local pub, she soon finds out that Vicki's step brother and step sister are beside themselves for being left out of their father's will, with everything going to Vicki. After the wake Eden and Vicki take a walk, and end stopping by Gavin Mitchell's, family friend and sheep shearer, but when they get to his house they find he has been stabbed with his own shears. Then when a mysterious fire breaks out at the B&B where Eden is staying, suspicion falls on them for the murder of Mitchell. then Eden and Vicki start begin to ask question to try and clear their names. They also get help from Leith, a handsome hunk that she met driving to Glenkillen, and he might just be the inspiration she needs to get material for her book. When they both have mysterious driving accidents, they know they are getting close to the murderer. They just need to get it worked out before the murderer strikes again.

A wonderfully descriptive story of Scotland and some information on sheep farming and the gathering of wool. I hope this will be expanded on in future books, as I love learning something while reading my books.

I highly recommend this book. ( )
  FredYoder | May 8, 2015 |
Fun first book in a new series by Hannah Reed. ( )
  c00lkiw1 | Feb 2, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042526582X, Mass Market Paperback)

National bestselling author Hannah Reed brings mystery lovers the first in a brand-new series, in which a young writer finds herself swept up in a murder amidst the glens and lochs of the Scottish Highlands…

After the recent death of her mother and the dissolution of her marriage, thirty-something Eden Elliott is seriously in need of a fresh start. At the urging of her best friend, bestselling author Ami Pederson, Eden decides to embark on an open-ended trip to the picturesque village of Glenkillen in the Scottish Highlands, to do some hands-on research for a book of her own. But almost as soon as Eden arrives in the quaint town, she gets caught up in a very real drama…

The town’s sheep shearer is found murdered—clipped with his own shears—and the locals suspect Vicki MacBride, an outsider whose father’s recent death left her the surprise heir to his lucrative sheep farm. Eden refuses to believe the affable heiress is a murderer, but can she prove that someone is out to frame her new friend before she finds herself on the receiving end of more shear terror?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:42 -0400)

"After the recent death of her mother and the dissolution of her marriage, thirty-something Eden Elliott is seriously in need of a fresh start. At the urging of her best friend, bestselling author Ami Pederson, Eden decides to embark on an open-ended trip to the picturesque village of Glenkillen in the Scottish Highlands, to do some hands-on research for a book of her own. But almost as soon as Eden arrives in the quaint town, she gets caught up in a very real drama... The town's sheep shearer is found murdered--clipped with his own shears--and the locals suspect Vicki MacBride, an outsider whose father's recent death left her the surprise heir to his lucrative sheep farm. Eden refuses to believe the affable heiress is a murderer, but can she prove that someone is out to frame her new friend before she finds herself on the receiving end of more shear terror?"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,234,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible