Willowgrove (Hemlock Trilogy) by Kathleen…

Willowgrove (Hemlock Trilogy)

by Kathleen Peacock

Series: Hemlock (3)

343486,710 (4)None

An ok end to a good series. There was a lot of death that didn't need to happen, but it lent to depth of the feelings that were there. ( )
  Aridy | Mar 21, 2018 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Fun ending to an entertaining series. There were parts that felt a little repetitive of the first two books but overall this was a great read!

Opening Sentence: SHE SWEARS SHE CAN HEAR THE ECHO OF STRANGLED sobs and slurred shouts—every sound made under the roof while he was gone—as she stands in the empty hallway.

The Review:

Mac lives in the little town of Hemlock. Life was quiet and pretty simple until Mac’s best friend Amy was murdered by a werewolf. Ever since the murder the town has been unsettled and the danger is starting to escalate. Years ago werewolves didn’t exist, but somehow the Lupine disease came about. If you are bitten or scratched by someone with the disease you will become infected and turn into a werewolf. For the most part those that are infected can control themselves and they can live a normal life, but uninfected people are afraid of the disease spreading so there is a war brewing between the two races.

There was recently a massive breakout at Thornhill, a werewolf rehabilitation camp. Mac, her boyfriend Kyle (who is a werewolf), and Jason, Amy’s ex-boyfriend, were the ones that helped orchestrate the breakout. They feel that werewolves are being treated unfairly and they want to try to stop the fight that is coming. They know that being in Hemlock is dangerous especially for werewolves, but they get new information about Amy’s death that could lead to how the Lupine epidemic was started. This information could possibly produce a cure or better yet, it might be able to prevent werewolves and humans from going to war!

From the very first time I met Mac I instantly liked her. She has gone through a lot in her short life and watching her handle everything gave me great respect for her. She is a smart girl and she doesn’t give up easily when she sets her mind to something. She is also a very caring person and the people in her life mean the world to her. She also has flaws that made her a more realistic character and easier to relate to. I didn’t feel that she grew as much in this book as she did in the previous books, but I still liked her as a character.

Kyle was just a sexy as always. He is such a great guy and the lengths he goes to; to protect Mac is very endearing. Becoming a werewolf was really hard for him and he is still trying to adjust to his new life. One of the great things about Kyle is that he is consistent, yes he has gone through many changes but he is still the same guy and he will always try to do the right thing. His relationship with Mac is adorable. I love that they started out as best friends and became something more. They have great chemistry and I think that they complement each other very well.

Jason is the hot rich boy that likes to party too much. He has had a rough few years and instead of taking care of his problems he tends to run away or make stupid decisions. I will admit that I liked who he became in the final book but I really wanted more for his character. For most of the series and especially in this last book it felt like he was the third wheel. He is a love interest for Mac in Thornhill and I was expecting that to develop more in Willowgrove but it really didn’t. Don’t get me wrong I am totally team Kyle, but I think Jason deserved more of a chance with Mac then he got.

Willowgrove is an action packed ending to a very fun series. I really enjoyed the story and world that Peacock created, she had her own unique twist on werewolves. I think that the characters were well developed and easy to like, but they were a little forgettable. There was less romance in this book, but it was still sweet and very well written. From the very beginning there is tons of action and the book is very fast paced. While I did enjoyed this book I will admit that I thought that it felt a little repetitive of the previous books in the series. I can’t really pinpoint one part or moment that was repetitive but the overall feel of the story just seemed a little too similar to the first two books. The ending wrapped everything up nicely and I am really looking forward to what Peacock will do in the future. Overall, I thought that this was a great ending to a fun series. I did go back and forth between giving this a 3 or 4 star rating, but in the end I thought that it was really well done so I went with the higher rating. I would recommend this to anyone that is looking for a YA paranormal story.

Notable Scene:

Trembling, I closed the door and flipped the dead bolt.

“He’ll be back,” I said, pressing my forehead to the wood. “He knows I was lying about Serena and he saw my scar. He’s not sure whether or not I’m infected.”

“We have to leave. Now.” Trey headed for the kitchen.

I had to call Kyle and Jason; I had to warn them not to come to the house. I reached into my pocket and came up empty: I had left my phone in Serena’s room.

As I headed for the stairs, I heard Trey promise Serena he’d die before letting anyone touch her.

Praying it wouldn’t come to that, I took the stairs two at a time. How long until the man returned with reinforcements? Five minutes? Ten? A flash of movement caught my eye through an upstairs window as I reached the second-floor landing. A car with tinted windows—the same car I had seen earlier—had rolled to a stop in front of the house and a second car was pulling up behind it.

“Trey!” I bolted back down the stairs.

The sound of shattering glass came from the rear of the house followed by a ragged, male shout.

I tripped on the last step and collided with Trey and Serena in the hallway.

Blood welled from a gash in Trey’s arm and Serena’s eyes were so wide that she looked like one of the girls in the manga Tess sometimes read.

There was a thud at the other end of the hall. I turned toward the noise just as something slammed into the front door with enough force to splinter the wood around the dead bolt.

More shouts echoed in the kitchen. They were in the house.

“Go!” Trey shoved Serena and me into the small half bath underneath the stairs and followed us inside.

FTC Advisory: Katherine Tegen Books/HarperTeen provided me with a copy of Willowgrove. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Mar 10, 2015 |
I received this free eARC in exchange for my honest review.

This was such a great ending to an amazing series. I'm so glad that I read it. The story line is so different from other werewolf stories that I couldn't compare it to another, but this is so much better than other novels.

I loved Mac. Even if there wasn't a romantic triangle and if it was just Mac as the only main character, I would still love her. She is so smart and so fearless, and she is only human. Makes me think of her as extremely brave even though a lot of the things she did could be considered reckless and dangerous.

I also loved how everything came together and answers were revealed from questions that started in the first novel. Kathleen Peacock is a very talented author and I would love to read whatever she is working on next, just for the fact that she wrote an amazing story but also used incredible talent to weave everything together.

Read this series. It's a must. Even if you are not big on werewolves, I think any reader will enjoy this story and what the message says overall. ( )
  JeracaFite | Nov 2, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062048716, Hardcover)

Perfect for fans of Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver or Andrea Cremer's Nightshade, Willowgrove is Kathleen Peacock's riveting conclusion to the Hemlock trilogy. This final entry in Peacock's dark, romantic, paranormal suspense series pits friendship against survival, and trust against love.

Ever since Mac's best friend, Amy, was murdered, Hemlock has been a dangerous place. But now that Mac, her boyfriend, Kyle, and Amy's ex, Jason, instigated a mass breakout from Thornhill, a werewolf "rehabilitation" camp, the danger has only grown. Fear of the infection spreading is now at an all-time high and anyone with a scar is suspected of being a wolf.

What makes Mac even more afraid, though, are the dark experiments that the warden of Thornhill was performing on wolves in a secret asylum called Willowgrove. Uncovering the truth about what happened may be the only way for Mac to save everyone she loves and end her nightmares for good.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:47 -0400)

Mac and her boyfriend Kyle fight to unravel the conspiracy surrounding illegal experiments performed on werewolves at the secret asylum, Willowgrove.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,883,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible