Out of the Box Awakening (Out of the Box,…

Out of the Box Awakening (Out of the Box, #1)

by Jennifer Theriot

194537,190 (4.75)None

I received this book from EBook Discovery in exchange for an honest review.

Out of the Box Awakening is the first in a three book series. It is a beautifully written story about second chances and starting over. It proves that life is constantly changing and that love can be found at any age.

I really enjoyed the storyline and richly developed characters. I loved the interactions between them. I found myself laughing when they laughed and crying when they cried. When an author can illicit such emotion from me, the reader, they have done an amazing job.

I would recommend this book to anybody who enjoys second chance romance stories that are not only about starting over but also about real life family interactions. I will definitely be reading Out of the Box Regifted which is the next book in this series. ( )
  Trimaze | Sep 29, 2016 |
As modern technology and advances are increasing the average human life span, so to does the vigor of youth extend. While once forty was considered to be mid-life, these days 60 is the new 40. It is about time someone wrote romance for this generation that is romantic and sexy. What is the point of being a grown up with all the experience of having dealt with the obstacles life has thrown at you if you don’t get to enjoy life just a little bit?

Out of the Box Awakening is the story of Olivia. A 50-something empty-nester who is beginning to find her self again after thirty years of being just “Mom” or “Mrs.”. Her husband has been transferred to Chicago from Houston, requiring her to pack up her home and contemplate starting a new life in a new place. While she is apprehensive, she approaches the new adventure as catalyst to find herself and breathe fresh life into her increasingly stale marriage. However, before the movers have even delivered her things to the new city, she is faced with fact that her marriage is over and she is on her own. Luckily she has Ash, the man her husband had arranged for them to stay with while they looked for a new home and who now offers Olivia a safe haven while she moves forward to this new chapter in her life.

It is always fun to catch a glimpse of oneself in a book. Reading about places I know, movies I have seen or music I listen to is a little thrill making the characters more real and approachable. Like Olivia, I too have a music play list that is all over the place from classical to country to rap and something from everything in between. Most people I know think that is nuts, but that is how I listen to music and I immediately connected with Olivia and her play list. I am also blessed to be married to a musician and have a son who is following in his footsteps. It didn’t take me long to take to Ash and Tommy as well. Ms. Theriot has done a terrific job of capturing the voice and characterization of this whole extended family. Each person adds something distinct to the whole, making the fabric of the story a little more vibrant. Family, those you are born to and those you find along the way, is the foundation of this story and though the romance is deliciously steamy and sweet, that is what I take from this book.

I am not certain how Olivia ever managed to have a life with her cardboard cutout drip of an ex- husband, or managed to raise such fantastic kids, a common theme for many women her age, I am sure. I am also certain the best thing he ever did for them was to move aside and let them look for happiness in another place. It was a pleasure to be a part of Olivia’s journey to find herself. It is great to believe that love can be found at any age. ( )
  Ireadwhatuwrite | Mar 23, 2016 |
FOR 18+ READERS ONLY IN SECTIONS. As she tells it in her own words, Olivia Peterson is going through a life-changing experience. She was born and raised in Houston, Texas, and has been married to the same man, Alan, for over thirty years with three grown children out on their own. Now, she is suddenly on a plane to Chicago because Alan’s job has transferred him there, and she is having to move her life into a new place and adventure. It’s a good thing that Alan has gotten his old Air Force buddy, Ash, to open up his home to Olivia while she looks for a new place for them to live, because when Olivia arrives in Chicago, she discovers that Alan is out of town on business for an extended period of time. Olivia finds Ash, a widower, to be very helpful and kind to her in finding some independence in her new life, as well as attractive, but Olivia is committed to her marriage despite the cold distance that had been building between her and Alan. That is, until Alan calls her from his business trip with his own news about their marriage. The author has done a good job in inhabiting and expressing Olivia’s insecurities, angst, and desires in the narration of the tale. However, the occasional conflicts presented are quickly resolved and provide little heft in progressing the story, which mainly consists of happy new love, strong family support and interplay, and moments of sexual awakening. Editorial errors are occasional with dropped words or missing commas, but generally writing is good. ( )
  kerryreis57 | Oct 14, 2015 |
5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! A mature love story that will amaze you.

Wow. Jennifer Theriot wrote a fantastic book. Ash Harper is a sexy, wealthy widower. Having a dark secret, a marriage filled with a controlling cold wife and then having to watch her die, leaves him worn out and deflated.

Olivia Peterson is pushed out of her home of 30 years due to her husband's job transfer. Leaving her grown children behind to move across the country, she is nervous and emotional. When she lands in Chicago to reunite with her husband, he isn't there, emotionally or physically. Ash Harper is. A long time friend of Olivia's husband.

Ash and Olivia find they have much in common and enjoy spending time together. What happens during the course of this love story is amazing.

This book contains it all; family values, rock stars, grown children with lives of their own, jealousy, wealth, heartbreak but mostly LOVE! ( )
  PJFiala | Feb 17, 2015 |

Jennifer Theriot is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,183,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible