Cairo by G. Willow Wilson

Cairo (2007)

by G. Willow Wilson, Travis Lanham (Letterer), M.K. Perker (Illustrator)

English (16)  Dutch (1)  All languages (17)
Read this because she's the keynote speaker at a library conference I'm attending. It was kind of a sweet love story/mystical/political/questioning little graphic novel. Recommended! ( )
  RachelGMB | Aug 5, 2015 |
I'm not really adept at reading comics. I don't have a vocabulary and a body of experience to judge and compare work.

I can say that I REALLY LIKED THIS ONE. Much more so than I expected. I keep expecting Wilson to write like the Mary Sue characters she puts in her stories: idealistic but naive American who comes to save the world but ends up annoying those she is supposed to save.

She gives us much more than this. She opens up worlds of contradiction, compassion, and humanity laid bare against the expected stereotypes.

She has a gift and I'm a fan.
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
G. Willow Wilson's first book was a very impressive beginning to this Eisner'winning author's career. I enjoyed both the story and the illustrations, which complemented one another perfectly. Compelling and thought-provoking. Recommended to anyone ages 10 and up. ( )
  netmouse | Jan 7, 2014 |
Started slow, got better, didn't like it though. ( )
  morbusiff | May 9, 2013 |
Powerful stuff. Part fairytale, party myth, part education. Seemless and beautiful. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
I look to comics to show me experiences I haven’t had and get me thinking about new perspectives, with bonus points for unusual, interesting settings. Cairo has all of the above.

G. Willow Wilsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lanham, TravisLetterermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Perker, M.K.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
So today, I hit one of those stoned camels with my truck.

Set in bustling modern-day Cairo, this magical-realism thriller interweaves the lives of a drug runner, a down-on-his-luck journalist, an American expatriate, a young activist, an Israeli soldier, and a genie as they navigate the city's streets and spiritual underworld to find a stolen hooka sought by a wrathful gangster-magician.… (more)

G. Willow Wilson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,956,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible