Cairo by G. Willow Wilson

Cairo (2007)

by G. Willow Wilson, Travis Lanham (Letterer), M.K. Perker (Illustrator)

2031457,794 (3.78)17

English (14)  Dutch (1)  All languages (15)
G. Willow Wilson's first book was a very impressive beginning to this Eisner'winning author's career. I enjoyed both the story and the illustrations, which complemented one another perfectly. Compelling and thought-provoking. Recommended to anyone ages 10 and up. ( )
  netmouse | Jan 7, 2014 |
Started slow, got better, didn't like it though. ( )
  morbusiff | May 9, 2013 |
Powerful stuff. Part fairytale, party myth, part education. Seemless and beautiful. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
For me, reading a book and reading a graphic novel are generally two distinctly separate experiences. I did not notice that slight disconnect with this graphic novel; it was a rich, complete experience with the story and the characters, and the art was simply there to tie everything together for a fuller experience. That said, I don't think this story would have worked well at all as a book (too much jumping between characters, lack of transitions) but these are things that are allowed in this medium.

The ending was somewhat goofy. At times I would have called it a bit preachy (big revelation for the spoiled white girl that she really was a spoiled white girl), but it didn't really detract from the story. It did make me want to read Rumi sooner rather than later, and when I finished it I just sat and thought about it for a bit rather than jumping into the next book--a good sign for a story that was prodding the reader to give serious consideration to certain issues. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
Great in that it leaves you wanting more, but also incredibly frustrating in that it leaves you wanting more. Cairo's greatest strength is the way it effortlessly blends the real world with Egypt's fantastical mythology. Unfortunately for me, I know terribly little about that mythology, but the book never seemed to delve too deeply for me to follow (or if it did, I didn't notice). I'd love to see this world revisited. ( )
  jawalter | Nov 18, 2012 |
I look to comics to show me experiences I haven’t had and get me thinking about new perspectives, with bonus points for unusual, interesting settings. Cairo has all of the above.

G. Willow Wilsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lanham, TravisLetterermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Perker, M.K.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
So today, I hit one of those stoned camels with my truck.

In bustling modern-day Cairo, the lives of a drug runner, a down-on-his-luck journalist, an American expatriate, a young activist, an Israeli soldier, and a genie are interwoven as they navigate the city's streets and spiritual underworld to find a stolen hooka sought by a wrathful gangster-magician.… (more)

G. Willow Wilson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,668,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible